Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:49:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy new album and tour

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, April 25, 2008, 12:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Passing Turk Slipper

Next month. It's called Lie Down in the Light. The tour so far only includes eastern europe, would love him to add a few dates over here. Anyway, I'm excited for a new full album of greatness, really enjoyed Ask Forgiveness, think this might be a wee bit darker though judging by the demo that dragcity have released: http://www.dragcity.com/mp3/dc367demo.m4a

lazyhour

Cor, I didn't know that a new album was coming out so soon!  He is my prolific hero.  Thank you for the heads up and the demo linky.  Sounds good so far.  Nice vocal melody, but yeah, it does sound more dirgey and mournful than recent stuff.  Can't wait to hear how it's rendered for the album.

explodingvinyl

I'm glad that he's flying more now. I missed him last time around. Lets lure him over. Someone drop a trail of breadcrumbs or something less likely to get caught in his beard.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: explodingvinyl on April 25, 2008, 12:53:07 PM
something less likely to get caught in his beard.
It's a constant struggle. Pizza (melted cheese), cereal (milk), sandwiches (mustard)...can we tempt him across with cartons of Ribena?

fanny splendid

Hmm, Rufus Wainwright?!

Heh, I like the demo, thanks for the link!

A Passing Turk Slipper

More info and release date on pitchfork* -

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/50275-will-oldham-shrooms-reveals-all-about-new-lp

They also link to the Tripping with Caveh film he did (which was done ages ago so I'm not sure why they're picking up on it now). Anyway, I've wanted to see it for a while, has anyone here caught it? Any good? In the trailer it it shows him playing guitar a couple of times which is enough to make me want it. I've not seen any of that Caveh guy's films though, he does sound like the worst kind of self indulgent.

*I hate pitchfork as much as you, okay, but they get good news.

lipsink

I keep discovering new Will Oldham/Bonnie/Palace things all the time. Today I found an EP of 2 Kevin Coyne covers: 'The Sun Shines Down On Me/ I Confess'. And last week I found 'Forest Time'. It's great finding so much stuff when you think you've got everything. But a bit frustrating to try to keep track off! And especially when it's under a different name each time (Bonnie Blue Billy? Argh!!)

Looking forward to the new album. The Letting Go is probably my least favourite Will Oldham album but I would never say it was disappointing or a drop in quality as I've heard other fans say. There's some great stuff on it. 'Strange Form Of Life' and 'I Called You Back' L'm pretty fond of.  And the vocals of Oldham and Dawn McCarthy work brilliantly together.

Borboski

I have been playing and singing Raining in Darling lately, what a wonderful song.

lipsink

Quote from: Borboski on May 02, 2008, 09:18:24 PM
I have been playing and singing Raining in Darling lately, what a wonderful song.

Beautiful little song. It's popular around here isn't it?

Borboski

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: lipsink on May 02, 2008, 09:13:06 PM
The Letting Go is probably my least favourite Will Oldham album but I would never say it was disappointing or a drop in quality as I've heard other fans say. There's some great stuff on it. 'Strange Form Of Life' and 'I Called You Back' L'm pretty fond of.  And the vocals of Oldham and Dawn McCarthy work brilliantly together.
It's got some pretty amazing high points as an album, I'm not into all the tracks but Lay and Love is one of my all time favourites, as is Love Comes to Me and the less obvious Big Friday which is just a great little song, there's a really nice live version of it on Youtube, check it. I can't wait for this new one I am hungry for Oldham.

Pilf

Quote from: Borboski on May 02, 2008, 09:18:24 PM
It really is one of the best songs he has ever written. Sod that, anyone has written. I can listen to it over and over and it gets me every time.

To get back on track, I'll go and see him if he plays the UK and will buy the album whatever (I'm a completest) but the last tour I saw I wasn't that impressed with, and I never thought I'd say that. It wasn't so much the songs, mainly from The Letting Go, more how they were arranged in a very sort of...country rock way. That's the thing with old Bonnie though, every tour is different and usually with a new band so always worth seeing him.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Well I picked it up this afternoon (avalanche were selling it despite the release date being tomorrow which was nice) and I'm halfway through the first track. Sounds very nice, pretty country, quite a lot of fiddle. Anyone else picked it up? Can't wait to get stuck into it.

A Passing Turk Slipper

track 6 is a lovely little duet. This is good. It's pretty jolly actually, a good balance, falling asleep to it tonight after the daniel kitson gig is going to be very enjoyable.

lipsink

Yeah, I got it too. A real country twang to it. Sounds great so far but don't want to say too much until I've given it a few listens! I recently got hold of his 'Little Lost Blues' compilation that was only on a limited release with 'The Letting Go' I think. It's bloody great - especially 'In His Hands'.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Still only given this a few listens so far but it's definitely worth picking up, the first half is especially nice I think, as lipsink says up there, got a nice country-twang to it. So far my favourite track is You Want That Picture which is such a sweet little duet, their voices complement each other's so nicely, and lyrically it's as lovely and witty and great as I've come to expect from him. anyway, yeah, buy it already and post your thoughts.

This is the first Bonnie album for a while I have really liked straight away. It reminds me a bit of Joya...my favourite release Will Oldham has ever put his name to...so that's probably why. The title track is a good counter thesis to I See A Darkness...I guess the album as a whole is. Other immediate stand outs : You Remind Me (I thought this was going to be another R Kelly cover), You Want That Picture, Easy Does It. Aw.

Peru

It's a fantastic record. Very immediate (which is quite unlike him). The production is sumptuous (Mark Nevers doesn't disappoint, as ever). Much has been made of the 'lighter' lyrical and musical content, but its heavy when it needs to be, these are big things he's writing about. Anything anyone releases after Arise Therefore is going to be lighter than that, anyway.

Borboski

Felt like it loses it's way abit at track 7 - that might be not fair.  Lovely and "bright" though when it starts up, really enjoyed it; and of course will give the whole thing a few tries.

Fuck me - because I'm at the gym all the time at the moment I'm starting to get sick of the same old music for working out - this largely consists of Metallica's S&M album and Killing In The Name Of; so it was lovely just to listen to something pleasant on the train.