Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:59:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GTA IV - The "IT'S OUT!!!" Thread

Started by Neil, April 26, 2008, 07:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Just getting ready for Tuesday.  Had to stop reading the other thread, but this one is for folks just getting it on the release date, who want to chat about it.  Spoiler tags for bits if you want.

OOH I CAN'T WAIT :-D

A Passing Turk Slipper

good call, I suggested this in the other thread a few hours ago. A guy I used to hang out with a wee bit in school I recently heard had a fit from playing some game for hours on end, I'm going to have to remember to stop playing if I feel a twitching behind my eye. Anyway, looking forward to some live sessions, I'll maybe pick up a headset when I'm getting it so I feel less creepy, their only like a tenner yeah?

micanio

I am so excited. I'll be getting mine from Woolies/WH Smiths/Curries/Sainsburies/Morrisons right after I drop my daughter off at school on Tuesday morning. I should roll up for about 8.55 so I'll be able to saunter in at 9 and, pick up my copy and go home and play all day.....

I'm so excited about this game it's unbelievable. I've reading so many forums and watching the trailers. I feel like I'm 12 again....it's gonna be ace.

Little Hoover

I have to wok from 1pm to 7:00pm on tuesday, then from 5:30am - 1pm the next day, not nice at all really and I don't think I'm quite so excited that I'm going to get up early on tuesday, go into town and buy it come back and play for it bit, before going back into work.

Maybe what I could do though is just get as much sleep as I can monday night, and tuesday morning, pick it up just before work, and then just, play it all through the night until I have to go to work the next day.

ffogems

The enthusiasm on here has driven me into an anticipatory jitter. A day hasn't passed over the last fortnight in which I haven't checked for news, reviews, anything, any flash of byte to sink myself into. I don't even like GTA really, but the thought of signing into XboxLive on Tuesday and seeing a column of unanimous status reports while I can do nothing but customize hats for raccoons in Viva Pinata makes me desperately want it. The multi-player stuff in particular seems brilliant. My free month of Gold membership comes to an end two days after GTA's release. How do I renew it? Can they only be bought in 12 month batches now or can I just get another month's worth? Oh, and in anticipation, my gamertag is 'ffogems', so add me if you like.

Yeah, I've left the the other thread too now, but shall no doubt be returning shortly with various "it's fucking ace" declarations.

Just think.. this time next week we'll have been playing the new GTA for 5 days..

rudi

Couple of friends of mine got theirs this morning, the spawny gets.

Rubbish Monkey

Game say they have posted mine, im really hoping it comes monday because after reading the other thread im itching like a motherfucker to play it.

_Hypnotoad_

Shall we try and compile of list of GTA tags now? (apologies if this is being covered in another thread)

After having this for a few days, I think multiplayer is going to be ace with a decent crowd

Me : nb1976

please do add me if you get a chance

My Giddy Aunt

I haven't read anything about it yet really. I take it its actually not rubbish then?

My PS3 copy is ordered anyway.

The sad thing is in III I got really really stuck on the dancing challenge. I am that SHIT at it.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

chocky909

It's odd how everyone elses enthusiasm is so infectious and I'm desperate to be part of it. Like Ffogems, I'm not a massive fan of the previous GTAs. I bought the III/Vice City double pack for Xbox and have never even played San Andreas but I was definately blown away by the scale and possibilities in the two games I did play. I'm hoping that the refined combat system will take some of the frustrations I felt for the older games away and make this iteration as fun to play as it was to explore.

Deadman97

Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2008, 07:59:34 PM
Just getting ready for Tuesday.  Had to stop reading the other thread, but this one is for folks just getting it on the release date, who want to chat about it.  Spoiler tags for bits if you want.

OOH I CAN'T WAIT :-D

Are you getting it on Tuesday morning then, Neil? My plans are to be outside GAME at 08:55 with my copy of Dark Sector for trade, then I've got three days of nothing to do but play the fucker non-stop.

hoverdonkey

From the IGN review

Quoteso pervasive is Niko's story we found it informing the way we approached the game, finding ourselves less inclined to indulge in mindless rampages we deemed out of character for our Eastern European protagonist.

I find that fascinating and very, very impressive, that a character is so refined that it can define the way you play a game. Play have dispatched my copy and it may even come tomorrow, but even so I shall be at ASDA after work at midnight on Monday to pick up a copy because my brother's getting one for his birthday.

I have Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off (not booked, the beautiful vagaries of our rota) but that doesn't really count when you have a five month old. It could be a frustrating time.

Little Hoover

It's just dawned on me that this is going to be a long ongoing thread, that I keep coming back to, and I'm going to have to read that tag about me that I don't understand every time.

samadriel

Little Hoover

But I don't work with woks or anyone called Ken Hom

Little Hoover

_Hypnotoad_

Quote from: hoverdonkey on April 27, 2008, 01:27:20 PM
From the IGN review

I find that fascinating and very, very impressive, that a character is so refined that it can define the way you play a game.

This is bizarre, I have found myself doing just the same

I can honestly say, after having played it for 4 days, I have only gone on one rampage so far, which is unheard for me in a GTA game, and that was a midnight stroll through the park taking out a group of mouthy little girls, the little whores had it coming, by the way

This is undoubtedly due to the depth of Nikos character, and the thought that you really are taking part in his story. Even when not on missions, the various different ways you can take part in side quests or social excursions using the phone or drop in and check your email make you feel that you are always on duty as Niko

Much the same as I try to avoid crashes due to the sickening realism of the vehicle physics

-edit- I think another reason I avoid confrontation and mindless slaughter is the realistic way the police pursue you

samadriel

I've always kind of played GTA that way, even avoiding pedestrian kills (unless they forfeit their lives by jumping in front of me of course; I assume that's been somewhat remedied in the new game...); it made idiotically out-of-character San Andreas missions like the 'rhyme book' and 'limo drowning' ones real sore points for me -- much more so than the silly CIA stuff, actually.

Little Hoover

Yeah I agree those missons lacked any kind of motivation that most of the other missions did, there was another one where you have to bury the foreman of the building site alive, because builders had supposedly said stuff to CJ's sister, seemed a bit of an over-reaction, generally in the missions, there weren't any innocent victims, you were only killing people that were just as bad, but mostly worse than CJ, and he was generally forced to do it, so when there were missions that were just sadistic and pointless, it really stood out. And yeah I generally avoided needless killing, I had my fun with that in the orginal GTA, and in Vice City (I didn't get 3 until after san andreas) By San Andreas, I kind of wanted to play it more realistically.

BOLLOCKS.

I go to my Amazon account to cancel my order for GTA and great, Amazon have finally dispatched my order, a delivery date of 5th of May! So now I either wait another week or I just get another copy and hope I can sell at the same amount when it arrives. Actually I probably can do that. Still, typical.

EDIT: Ah, just found out I can actually return items under a "I just don't want it anymore" pretense. You can all stop worrying for me now.

Viero_Berlotti

NEWS-FLASH!!!

The ebay sale of my Wii and Talisman game expansion sets went well enough so I can afford to get a PS3 / GTA4 bundle. I just hope Zavvi have got some of the pre-order packages left for me to put a deposit down on tomorrow, if not I'll have to try HMV or GAME (I hate Gamestation, I've boycotted them ever since they treated me like a criminal when they thought my signature didn't match the one on my debit card. The fucking tossers, if I was out to rip them off with a dodgy card I'd be spending more than £9.99 on a second hand X-Box game!!!).

GTA4 had better be fucking good, because I won't be able to buy another game for the PS3 for a couple of months at least. I enjoyed San Andreas on the X-Box, but couldn't get my s*****c brain around the flying missions, so hopefully they've simplified that but I doubt it. Lets hope Huzzie makes a star appearance in one of these GTA4 threads, he was always a big fan of the series.

Deadman97

Rev

IT'S NEVER TOMORROW!

Did any Play orderererers get it on Saturday, then?  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll arrive today, but there's always the possibility of the Royal Mail temp workers hoofing their bag into the canal and fucking off down the pub.  This is just ridiculous.  It's half six in the morning, I'm knackered, and I'm seriously contemplating just staying up until the post's been.

hoverdonkey

I'm waiting not very patiently for postie. He's very random with his times as well. Anything between now and midday. Need to convince myself it won't arrive today

terminallyrelaxed

Oh, is this out this week? I haven't really been paying attention...I'm not fooling anyone, am I?

Like every day, I will stumble out of bed at around half eight, possibly get to work sometime between half nine and ten, maybe later, drop my bag off at my desk, go straight to Pret for a coffee, and then I might wander up to Game on Oxford Street, fondly imagining they still have some in stock, and then probably come back empty-handed and cry.

hoverdonkey

Postie has been and gone, with only a bill for Mrs Donkey. Git. ASDA tonight it is then

Mustow Green

Quote from: terminallyrelaxed on April 28, 2008, 10:14:54 AM
Oh, is this out this week? I haven't really been paying attention...I'm not fooling anyone, am I?

Like every day, I will stumble out of bed at around half eight, possibly get to work sometime between half nine and ten, maybe later, drop my bag off at my desk, go straight to Pret for a coffee, and then I might wander up to Game on Oxford Street, fondly imagining they still have some in stock, and then probably come back empty-handed and cry.

I popped into Zavvi on Friday afternoon to ask about the state of play and the manager for the games section told me that, although they aren't taking anymore pre-orders, they do have 200-odd extra copies put aside, (he expects these to be gone by noon).  Fingers crossed that wasn't a wind up.