Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:59:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GTA IV - The "IT'S OUT!!!" Thread

Started by Neil, April 26, 2008, 07:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Deadman97 on April 27, 2008, 12:55:06 PM
Are you getting it on Tuesday morning then, Neil? My plans are to be outside GAME at 08:55 with my copy of Dark Sector for trade, then I've got three days of nothing to do but play the fucker non-stop.

Fuck, I dunno.  Spurred on by The Region Legion's post, I checked the Amazon account (I pre-ordered on the 1st of April), and now can't see head nor hair of me order!

And I only have 35 quid here, so might possibly not get it till Wednesday now, but I'll see what I can sort. 

TOMORROW!

niat

I thought mine had gone, but it had only changed status to "Dispatched", and was viewable when I looked at my complete list of orders for the last 6 months. You should get an email confirmation as well.

My heart did skip a beat at first though...

El Unicornio, mang

The XBOX I ordered last week should arrive today or tomorrow, unfortunately I'l likely be at work when it comes, and it's coming by UPS so no picking up, might have to ask a kind friend to sit at mine and wait for it. Gonna get the game tomorrow night after work. SO EXCITED BY THIS.

drberbatov

There is bound to be a copy in my post round tomorrow, I'm half tempted to snatch it.

wheatgod

Anyone else ordered from HMV.com? They're sending mine by Special Delivery apparently, but no sign yet.

El Unicornio, mang

Special Delivery? Do they carry it in a gold horse and carriage and present it to you on a velvet cushion?

Neil

Quote from: niat on April 28, 2008, 02:02:48 PM
I thought mine had gone, but it had only changed status to "Dispatched", and was viewable when I looked at my complete list of orders for the last 6 months. You should get an email confirmation as well.

My heart did skip a beat at first though...

Well I couldn't see it ANYWHERE in the Amazon order thing, although had the original pre-order email. 

However, I just got an email from Amazon saying it's been dispatched :-D  First class, estimated delivery date the thirtieth, but that's balls, it'll be here tomorrow morning I'm sure.  Fuck, can't wait.

Someone is going to play themselves to death on this game. I'm talkin 72 hours straight without food or water or something.

VegaLA

Trying to think up some MP games we can play using RockStars GameTypes.

I had three ideas.

1: The Warriors: One gang of four have to reach the Beach before the other three gangs kill them off. Winner is the gang that wastes the most Warriors or if 1 Warrior makes it to the beach then they have won.

2: Dawn of the Dead: One gang of four have to hold up in the biggest building available and fend off the Zombies (other MP players) until Dawn. If a player is killed they respawn as a Zombie and can attack their former friends. If any of the Survivors make it till dawn they win, if they are all killed Zombies win. Zombies can kill by knife only.

3: Jack the Ripper: Abduct/Kill off as many Hookers as possible (alright you saw this one coming) before other MP players take you down. May work well with the Cops and Robbers gamertypes but like all these suggestions we're limited to Rockstars gameTypes.

I'm well busy here at work today.
Anyone else care to add to the list?

Borboski

Well I just started to panic thinking it might be sold out, so phoned Gamestation.

I'm off work tomorrow - so Mrs B is going to drive me down in a second - get my pre-order in, then I can pick it up at Midnight!  Woo!

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: VegaLA on April 28, 2008, 07:32:24 PM
1: The Warriors: One gang of four have to reach the Beach before the other three gangs kill them off. Winner is the gang that wastes the most Warriors or if 1 Warrior makes it to the beach then they have won.

Oh that would be awesome, restrict it to on foot and melee weapons only and maybe let the Warriors use the subway for one stop only.

Borboski

...if my pissing wife would get off the phone that is... :(

Nik Drou

Fingers crossed for a superhero mode....

Borboski

aaaaargh xbox all sold out till thurs!

micanio

Quote from: Borboski on April 28, 2008, 08:19:07 PM
aaaaargh xbox all sold out till thurs!

Asda and tescos will be you best bet if you have one that opens at midnight.  I'm getting mine from Woolies - I put my name down this morning just to be on the safe side....

Fry

Quote from: VegaLA on April 28, 2008, 07:32:24 PM
Seconded, that'd be great.

hoverdonkey

Okay, very fidgety now. Should be out of work by 11. Then straight to the A3. There is a 24 hour ASDA and Tesco within a couple of miles of each other.

I remember I went to the ASDA at midnight to get San Andreas and was surprised by the group of about a dozen people kicking around, all slightly embarrassed that they should be doing such a thing, yet all defiantly vindicated by each other's presence.

Fry

AH SHIT! I AM SO EXCITED!

I won't have any proper playing time for days though!
Fucking, drama rehearsals.

VegaLA

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on April 28, 2008, 07:49:58 PM
Oh that would be awesome, restrict it to on foot and melee weapons only and maybe let the Warriors use the subway for one stop only.

Good idea, no guns no cars but I wonder how much freedom you have with the Subway system? I like the idea of one gang staking out the station then just as the doors close the Warriors make a mad dash for the train. Awesome shit !
Like I say i'm away this comign w/e but i'll be at home on Wednesday so lets see if we can arrange a match then. I'll update the XBL thread.

mister_enmity

A guy I know in my Economics class mentioned that he already recieved his copy, I think, yesterday. Stellar praise from him.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: mister_enmity on April 28, 2008, 09:38:46 PM
A guy I know in my Economics class mentioned he already recieved his copy, I think, yesterday. Stellar praise from him.

That's the review I've been waiting for

Borboski

Quote from: micanio on April 28, 2008, 08:35:43 PM
Asda and tescos will be you best bet if you have one that opens at midnight.  I'm getting mine from Woolies - I put my name down this morning just to be on the safe side....

Yeah, cheers. I was going to just think "well it doesn't matter", but there's a chance that most stores could see out tomorrow and then I wouldn't get it till at least Friday.  So I'm waiting for Mrs B to go to bed, then jogging down to Burnage Tescos.

It's going to be mint, isn't it?  Not been excited like this since when I was about 17; I opened a PC magazine to see a review of Championship Manager in PC World - and said, uncontrollably, "Ohhhh, FAB!" out loud, then I uncontrollably put my hand over my mouth, what a nerd, eh?!

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: VegaLA on April 28, 2008, 09:35:47 PM
Good idea, no guns no cars but I wonder how much freedom you have with the Subway system? I like the idea of one gang staking out the station then just as the doors close the Warriors make a mad dash for the train. Awesome shit !
Like I say i'm away this comign w/e but i'll be at home on Wednesday so lets see if we can arrange a match then. I'll update the XBL thread.

Assuming you can actually use the subway in multiplayer you are only able to get in and get out again when it stops. I have avoided the police by leading them up into a station and hopping onto a train just as it leaves though, very fun.

Artemis

I am really genuinely envious of you gamers at the moment. I bought GTA:Vice City for the PC and tried playing it on my laptop with a PS2 controller adapter plugged in, and I thought it was rubbish. I'm quite prepared to accept that I'm at fault for not appreciating it properly, but it seemed so directionless. Anyway, I'll continue to be a bit jealous in the corner.

Captain Mildred

Popped into my local Tesco on way home from work. With two and a half hours to go, there was already a queue of seven people.
Starting to wish I'd stayed - but couldn't quite face that.
Might pop back, but bet I'm too late. Ah well.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Captain Mildred on April 28, 2008, 10:36:30 PM
Popped into my local Tesco on way home from work. With two and a half hours to go, there was already a queue of seven people.

Ooh...bugger. I was hoping to just stroll in at ten minutes to 12 and hover around the entertainment desk. If there's a queue, I'll probably be better hanging out by the entrance with a baseball bat.

Wait a moment.. are you people actually saying that you can create your own rules and destination points in the multiplayer mode? Shirley not...

Shit, I cannot wait for tomorrow - I've kept myself so in the dark about this game that all I know is that the main character is called Niko and there are comedians in the game. If there's as much remarkable shit in it as there seems to be then I may be moved to tears.

Beautifully, because April 30th is something called Queensday here in Holland, the place where I'm studying has moved Thursday's lesson to Tuesday morning so that we don't have to stumble in with hangovers - that means a full 5 days of uninterrupted time to play rather than having to shuffle off to a classroom and fidget for 3 hours.

Bogey

I'm sure a lot of you are pretty clued up about this sort of thing, so I ask the question: Given that it costs peanuts to actually manufacture a DVD and a case and so on, are we to assume that tomorrow's inevitable shortages and frustrations are deliberate on the part of the publishers, (as has, I believe, been alleged in the case of the Wii)?

There are bound to be loads of disappointed people tomorrow, so why the fuck could they not just have made enough for everyone? Why should people have to preorder things like this? It's not as if every single potential customer is going to buy it tomorrow and after that sales will dry up; there's bound to be loads of word-of-mouth stuff going on, this thing will sell and sell.

So, are they deliberately limiting supplies in order to boost hype or something? Which would make little sense anyway, unless the game was rubbish - ie. get enough preorders in before the reviews come out. But that's manifestly not the case! So, for the love of god, why?

I'm just venting, of course, having ordered mine just a few days ago, like a "fool". Heaven forbid that one should expect something to be available! How naive of me!

Pseudopath

I doubt that Take 2 need to resort to any Wii-style stock shortage tricks and would guess they've tried to manufacture as many copies as possible. For a start, we don't know when development on the game completed, but from the rumours of Rockstar pulling 48-hour weekend shifts, it probably wasn't long before the first exclusive reviews appeared. Take 2 have therefore had about a month to manufacture, package and distribute as many copies as possible for a simultaneous worldwide launch as well as co-ordinating the marketing and PR side.

I'd say they've done a pretty good job, although we'll have a better idea tomorrow when we see how many pre-orders were actually met.