Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:25:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GTA IV - The "IT'S OUT!!!" Thread

Started by Neil, April 26, 2008, 07:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terminallyrelaxed

Cool, I'm off to buy it in a mo.

I put on GTA4 last night and there was an update for it, which was big enough to take 2 minutes rather than the usual 2 seconds  - what's all that about then?

VegaLA

There were some fixes applied mainly to MP. I don't have a link but it was mentioned on Engadget earlier this week.

terminallyrelaxed

jennifer

I know everyone else finished this ages ago, but I've read though 29 pages and no one seems to have had the trouble I'm having with UC Paper and his stupid 'forced mission'.

About 19 times in a row I attempted "Paper Trail" (you, Jacob, a helicopter, big gun) but it's San Andreas flying school all over again. Fine, I think, I will relax, take a breath, do some other missions, go on some dates, maybe practice on Brucie's chopper (he'd appreciate the homoerotic subtext) and come back to it. But that fucker Paper won't leave me alone. I've been inches from my Final Interview interview (in a lovely suit), or having a fight or whatever, and the phone rings and if you don't get to it in two rings and reject the call, you're thrown straight into the mission whether you like it or not.

So. Any tips on Paper Trail (other than 'be better at helicopters' which I would if I had the chance to PRACTISE, EVER) and is there any way to quit a mission other than kill yourself?

Rev

I fucked that one up a good few times by thinking I had to try to stay level with the other helicopter throughout the whole mission.  You don't; height doesn't matter, and you can just fly over the buildings while it's weaving around them like a bastard.  The point at which you shoot it down is scripted, and it doesn't happen until you're out over the water, so just stay high until it starts heading off and then drop down behind it.  It's one of those missions that's dead easy once you've managed to do it once.

Murdo

I'm completely stuck at the end of the bloody thing.

Spoiler alert
I think I'm being punished for killing Darko, I've now tried about 50 times the bit on the dirtbike where you're meant to jump onto the helicopter and I just can't do it. I either crash the bike, go too slow, miss the ramp etc. It's a right pain in the arse as well because you have to shoot about a hundred guys to get to that point, which to make matters worse is dead easy and thus completely boring. Any tips?
[close]

ozziechef

I'm stuck way back at the mission where you have to reclaim the Strip club for Dwayne. i can locate the managers but as soon as I kill one everyone goes mad. Any advice?

Little Hoover

If you haven't already try killing the one in the back first, it doesn't necessarily mean people won't hear you, but at least you're in a better position of cover, when everyone goes mad.

Not sure what to say Murdo, it was similar for me, and the worst part is, once I got the bike onto the ramp I failed the next bit as well, by not dodging the rocket that was fired at the helicopter, so watch out for that if, you eventually do get past it.

Spoiler alert
Strip Club:

You might have just been unlucky here ozziechef - I remember it took me 4 or 5 attempts, but all I did was slaughter all and sundry with a rifle and then chase down the last guy as he escaped (possibly on/in vehicle, can't remember)

Final mission:

Killing everyone is easy. But you stil have to keep near max health, so I used RPGs and a sniper rifle at the start (buy some, save game, reload if you fail). After the cut scene with the bad guy you're on a time limit so I just went crazy with the Carbine rifle. The bike bit is hard, but after a couple of attempts you should know the line you need to take along the coast, and you don't have to drive too fast. Just pick up some speed for the ramp, which you can't miss once you know roughly where it is. It automatically puts you in the helicopter.

LH - I think you're supposed to get hit by the rocket, cos then you land on that island and kill him quite easily.

Jennifer - what Rev said. Also YouTube will have videos of how it's done if you haven't already checked.
[close]

Murdo

Thanks guys, it looks like I'm just going to have to be a bit more patient with it. I was feeling all cocky about passing the bike missions without any problems as well...

Little Hoover

Quote from: TVs Nick Wealthall on August 01, 2008, 10:50:18 AM
Spoiler alert
Strip Club:

You might have just been unlucky here ozziechef - I remember it took me 4 or 5 attempts, but all I did was slaughter all and sundry with a rifle and then chase down the last guy as he escaped (possibly on/in vehicle, can't remember)

Final mission:

Killing everyone is easy. But you stil have to keep near max health, so I used RPGs and a sniper rifle at the start (buy some, save game, reload if you fail). After the cut scene with the bad guy you're on a time limit so I just went crazy with the Carbine rifle. The bike bit is hard, but after a couple of attempts you should know the line you need to take along the coast, and you don't have to drive too fast. Just pick up some speed for the ramp, which you can't miss once you know roughly where it is. It automatically puts you in the helicopter.

LH - I think you're supposed to get hit by the rocket, cos then you land on that island and kill him quite easily.

Jennifer - what Rev said. Also YouTube will have videos of how it's done if you haven't already checked.
[close]

No, not by the first rocket.

HappyTree

I don't know if it's relevant or useful any more since the question was posed ages ago, but FTR:

Yes it is easy to change the language in a game, you just change your console settings to that language and restart the disc. I'm in France with a French 360 and it makes no difference if I buy games here or the UK. I usually tend to order second hand games from Amazon UK simply because there are more sellers and I can get it for cheaper than Amazon FR, but as I say the languages are interchangable. I sometimes even swap language halfway through a game and the saved position loads as normal.

I'd presume that would be true for all the major languages, so there will definitely be an English language version on a Spanish disc.

It's a little irritating having to change the whole console's settings instead of just selecting a language when running the game itself but then it's easily put back the way it was.

bill hicks

I just checked my stats on the Rockstar Social Club for the first time in ages. Thankfully it has finally realised that I've completed the bloody game and I've got a nice wallpaper for 100%.

I can't wait for the DLC and may have to try and go back to mop up the last single player achievement I need before it comes out, doing the story in 30 hours. That sounds like a bastard.

alex

Quote from: ozziechef on August 01, 2008, 09:48:18 AM
I'm stuck way back at the mission where you have to reclaim the Strip club for Dwayne. i can locate the managers but as soon as I kill one everyone goes mad. Any advice?

[delurk]

Spoiler alert
Enter the strip club without weapons armed, go into the office on the left as you walk into the club. You can kill the first manager with your knife without alerting anyone. The next guy is to the back & left of the club, while the last guy is in the private dance bit at the end of the club to the right. As soon as you bring a weapon up, things will go apeshit, so if you've a sniper rifle or the assault rifle, go to the bit before the private area, kill the 2nd guy, which will prompt the last guy to escape through the back door. This youtube video shows the mission, just not quite as above, but it should give you an idea of what I mean..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lstqEaiPpU
[close]

Final mission:

Spoiler alert
You need to hit the ramp square on, so make sure you're not going too fast for the corner just before the ramp - slow down a little! Also make sure that you're not pulling up/down on the stick and you'll grab onto the chopper
[close]

PSN Id: coolthwax

If anyone wants a bit of online shananegans :)

[/relurk]

Deadman97

So I'm on my second playthrough, going for the "Liberty City Minute" achievement- does the total playtime include time spent in pause?

EDIT: yeah, and also I finished all the "most wanted" missions on the police computer but didn't get the achievement, so what the fuck is that all about?

bill hicks

Did you do all the missions on all the islands? There's three lists of Most Wanted (one each for Dukes, Algonquin and Alderney) and you need to be on the island to see its list. In total it's 30 missions I think.

Deadman97

Quote from: bill hicks on August 25, 2008, 07:59:11 PM
Did you do all the missions on all the islands? There's three lists of Most Wanted (one each for Dukes, Algonquin and Alderney) and you need to be on the island to see its list. In total it's 30 missions I think.

Aaah! Thanks, thought it was just the ten. What do you reckon about the pause-menu thing?

Rev

Check whether your playing time advances on the stat screen when you're paused.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't, so it shouldn't affect that one.

The Most Wanted achievement got me too, as did the races, which work in a similar way.  That's even more misleading, though, as you actually get a phone call saying that you've done all of them when you haven't.

As we're on the achievements, can I confess to a moment of supreme dopiness?  I took 'Walk Free' far too literally, and thought that what you had to do was get and lose a four-star wanted level entirely on foot.  Took me loads of attempts that one.

chand

Quote from: chand on May 04, 2008, 09:12:58 PM
Still looking forlornly at my GTA IV case, unable to play it. :( Hopefully getting my house back this week, but I feel like I've missed out on a proper cultural event.

Well, I got back home two weeks ago and have been slowly catching up on this, along with MGS4 and Battlefield Bad Company. It's really great, the driving is better and the graphics are fantastic, and I'm enjoying all the characters.

Is there a compelling reason why I'm doing missions for that prick Faustin though? I gather that my relationship with him changes later, but he just seems like such an incredible tool and I don't feel like I've been given sufficient reason to give him any loyalty at all. There was a lot made of the moral choices in the game but I seem to be doing a lot of missions that basically make me a massive cunt. Is it possible to get out of missions without deliberately crashing or something? I mean...
Spoiler alert
...I've just done the mission where I've inexplicably killed Faustin's daughter's boyfriend and all his biker mates for no reason other than some coked-up paranoid dick told me to. I suppose they tried to feebly justify it by having the guy set his gang on me, but I'd gone there and threatened to kill him so it's not like I was the good guy.
[close]

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Don't worry about Faustin, he's the basically the beginning of the main story.

You don't have as much freedom as was perhaps suggested, but you'll have several future missions where you can choose who to kill, and a few others where you can let your target go free.

jennifer

There's a bunch of bosses who really are absolute tedious druggy pricks - treasure the fun ones like Brucie and Bernie.

chumfatty

Downloadable content available for this tomorrow for Xbox! Not as exciting as the actual release but still looking forward to it.

Anyone how the DLC content dealio works on release date, will it be available at midnight or does it just comes on XBL when it decides it's good and ready.

bill hicks

Seems like it will go up at 8am GMT, although the usual time for stuff like this is 10am so somewhere in there is my best guess.

From the reviews it sounds vast. 15 hours of story missions, loads of side stuff, new weapons and vehicles, new music on four radio stations (including a Death Metal mix presented by Max Cavalera that sounds sweet), new comedy (no idea who from though) and new multiplayer.

Also interestingly full frontal male nudity. Expect the US political system to come crashing down in the next week when they get a whiff of the fact that there is a polygonal cock in the game.

Cold Meat Platter

I read somewhere that Frankie Boyle is the new comedy club stand up.
I say new, i mean motion captured bits off Mock the Week.
So the first game to feature the word paedo, then.

VegaLA

If you watch the latest trailer your'll see Mr Bellic makes a cameo appearance. Not sure if he's in the new episode but it wouldn't surprise me if R*couldn't resist adding him.

Rev

One of the new multiplayer modes appears to involve twatting people off of motorbikes with baseball bats, which sounds like a giggle.  Maybe like a version of GTA Race, with the potential for annoying camping clipped.

Neil

How does this work then, do I have to renew my XBL sub just so I can then also buy the DLC, or can I just get the DLC on it's own?

bill hicks

You can buy it with a Silver account but can't play online without the Gold subscription.

Although I remember reading something about "GTA Week" or somesuch where the DLC was free multiplayer for Gold and Silver users this week.

It's confirmed for 10am now by the way. My tea break at work will fall suscipiously at exactly 9.55am today.

redgonewild

Quote from: alex on August 01, 2008, 03:00:40 PM
[delurk]

PSN Id: coolthwax

If anyone wants a bit of online shananegans :)

I was under the impression everyone was on xbox, here's mine; VincentVega999
[/relurk]

chumfatty

It's On! Go in to Game Marketplace, Game Add-ons, new Arrivals.!