Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:59:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The opening titles to Bottom

Started by Emergency Lalla Ward Ten, February 04, 2004, 11:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Something I've often wondered - the final shot in the title sequence shows them looking out of their window, but we then pull back to reveal it's just a flat on a film set.

Is that the joke? Or have I missed something ultra-obvious? Bottom never really went in for fourth-wall-breaking, so I did wonder.

And is it a film set? Or is it just a heap of rubble on a building site or something? Some kind of Beckett allusion? It's always struck me as odd.

TotalNightmare

its the Coca Cola building in Hammersmith over the tube station on the Piccadilly line...

When Bottom was first recorded, the building was in the early stages of construction and the window that they are looking out of was a mock structure to give an impression of what the building was to look like.

The joke was you are meant to think they live in some posh building, judging by the window, but it pulls back to reveal the mock up for the building that was yet to be built...

Hope that answers the question!

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Cor, thanks. I never knew that.

Nor do most people, surely? Unless they lived in Hammersmith in 1991.

axel

BTW Bottom DVDs are included in Play's Sitcom sale. Here's the link (lot's of other stuff here as well):

http://play.com/play247.asp?page=promo&r=R2&id=422

Peking O

Quote from: "axel"BTW Bottom DVDs are included in Play's Sitcom sale. Here's the link (lot's of other stuff here as well):

http://play.com/play247.asp?page=promo&r=R2&id=422

Interesting to see Black Books series 2 on there - release date 22/3/04.

http://play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=147940

kidsick5000

Speaking of Bottom opening titles, anyone got the music? Or know where i can get it.

Darrell

Quote from: "kidsick5000"Speaking of Bottom opening titles, anyone got the music? Or know where i can get it.

The actual recordings (not some cheap synth cover) have been on at least one TV theme compilation CD. I don't have it, though.

alan strang

I only recently found out that 'The Bum Notes' were actually Ade Edmonson, Simon Brint and friends. Should have guessed it though - they're obviously aiming for a Bonzos-style 'Jazz Delicious Hot' air to the whole thing (and Edmonson's a massive Bonzos-nut).

I once heard the 'Bottom' end-sig on the in-store playlist in Virgin Megastore so it was definately available on CD for a bit.

At the time I just assumed that the band had gotten a record deal off the back of the series!

peet

You can get low quality mp3s of the music on this Rik & Ade fansite.

TJ

The opening theme is a cover of 'B.B's Blues', which as the name implies is a BB King number but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the version heard on "Bottom" was based on a cover by Sounds Incorporated. The closing theme is a reworking of The Mar-Keys' 'Last Night'. Back when I was an indie DJ, I regularly finished my set by playing that, and never failed to be amused by the number of people doing Richie and Eddie dances.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I used to work ehind the bar in an arts centre, and whenever they had an Acid Jazz night they used to end on the sig tune from Bottom. Well, they'd played both their Jamiroquai albums by then.