Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:55:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New unpronouncable Sigur Rós record

Started by actwithoutwords, June 02, 2008, 02:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

actwithoutwords

New album from the band that no-one calls The 'Ros coming out on the 23rd June, charmingly entitled með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust.
New song Gobbledigook is generally available, complete with sexy NSFW video. What do people think? Of the song, not the sexy NSFW-ness. It's all very Animal Collective, which isn't a bad thing. Takk bored the shite out of me in the main, it felt like they had seriously stagnated. While I'm not completely sold on Gobbledigook, it sounds completely different, which is very positive for the forthcoming album.

Emma Raducanu

I've not trusted them since Hvarf/Heim, oh how I waited and waited for it. Sat there on the train all ready for my first and very excited listen and then URGH?! I've heard this stuff before. I asked 'Please don't turn into the Peter Kay of music'. But otherwise, I generally can't wait even thought I've kind of moved away from their kind of music over the past year or so.

actwithoutwords

Sorry should have included a link. Both mp3 and video of prancing nymphettes au naturel are here:
http://www.sigurros.com/dvd3.asp

Emma Raducanu

On balance, I wish I hadn't watched that video.

Not nearly enough cock.

Vitalstatistix

Is the rest of the album meant to sound like that? If so, I'm interested because I really like that song on first listen. Lots of energy, good melodies, yeah I feel some AC vibes there.

What a shite video though. What, do they really think they're being shocking and edgy to have a bunch of naked people prancing about in the woods? Is that the whole point, that they're naked? And they don't even have the balls (ahem) to show any proper nudity.

In conclusion, if its not full frontal hardcore I don't see the point. Good song though.

ThickAndCreamy

I'm looking forward to this new album, even though I find it extremely difficult to listen to SR for long periods of time. However I still think they are one of the best and original bands around and I for one loved Takk.

I could tell if I saw them live they would probably blow me away as well but I really don't know anyone who would see them live and I would find it hard to go to a gig without actually dancing or jumping around.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Quote from: DolphinFace on June 02, 2008, 03:25:11 PM
I've not trusted them since Hvarf/Heim, oh how I waited and waited for it. Sat there on the train all ready for my first and very excited listen and then URGH?! I've heard this stuff before. I asked 'Please don't turn into the Peter Kay of music'. But otherwise, I generally can't wait even thought I've kind of moved away from their kind of music over the past year or so.

What are you referring to here?

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Never mind, I know now.

Song's good, quite different to the usual. More light and floaty.

Video's fucking dire.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: DolphinFace on June 02, 2008, 03:25:11 PM
I've not trusted them since Hvarf/Heim, oh how I waited and waited for it. Sat there on the train all ready for my first and very excited listen and then URGH?! I've heard this stuff before. I asked 'Please don't turn into the Peter Kay of music'.

You're unfamiliar with the concept of the live album?

I've voiced my concerns already over the likelihood of hearing an entire album of Animal Collective pastiches, but Gobbledigook in and of itself is rather lovely.  

I'm also going to come out in defence of 'Takk'.  I think it's a wonderful record and a real return to form after ().  I do a lot of hillwalking and its a great album to have on the mp3 player when out in some great, beautiful wide open space in the country.

They're playing the last night of the Connect Festival, so I'm toying with going to that just to see them.  If the weather is nice, it'll be a lovely setting to see them live, and I've always missed them for one reason or another.

Emma Raducanu

I didn't realise it was live. Just thought it was a bunch of slight remixes.

chocky909

Their live DVD got accused of being dubbed with studio versions too. Turns out they're just very good at playing live and it was mixed brilliantly in post production.

actwithoutwords

Festival was played last night on some godawful Radio 1 show or other. It's very much a return to their standard Sigur Ros sound and song structure. It's nice, but slightly disappointing that Gobbledigook doesn't seem to have heralded a complete rethink.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on June 03, 2008, 08:51:39 AM
I'm also going to come out in defence of 'Takk'.  I think it's a wonderful record and a real return to form after ().

Hmmn. That's interesting. I've definitely heard mumblings of discontent about (). I wonder whether the fact that was the first album of theirs I got into has affected my view of it in relation to the albums either side of it. I can't see a step down from Ageatis I have to say. It's a bit more limited in texture I think, but that's not necessarily a deficiency. However, with Takk, I found, Glosoli and Hoppipolla aside, that they were treading water somewhat, and it had started to sound a bit forced and tired. Festival gives me that same feeling, whereas Gobbledigook seems more vibrant.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Wait, is 'Festival' another new song?

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: actwithoutwords on June 04, 2008, 07:51:40 PM
Festival was played last night on some godawful Radio 1 show or other. It's very much a return to their standard Sigur Ros sound and song structure. It's nice, but slightly disappointing that Gobbledigook doesn't seem to have heralded a complete rethink.

Well, as mentioned on the SDJ thread, I initially found Gobbledigook disappointing, not so much in execution as in concept.  After being ahead of the field in a lot of ways for more or less a decade, suddenly they're trading in the same tribal Animal Collective-style rhythms as every other Tom (El Guincho), Dick (Dodos) and Harry (Ruby Suns).

First impressions of Festival are, however, very good.

Quote from: actwithoutwords on June 04, 2008, 07:51:40 PM
Hmmn. That's interesting. I've definitely heard mumblings of discontent about (). I wonder whether the fact that was the first album of theirs I got into has affected my view of it in relation to the albums either side of it. I can't see a step down from Ageatis I have to say. It's a bit more limited in texture I think, but that's not necessarily a deficiency. However, with Takk, I found, Glosoli and Hoppipolla aside, that they were treading water somewhat, and it had started to sound a bit forced and tired. Festival gives me that same feeling, whereas Gobbledigook seems more vibrant.

I think, for me, its a question of focus.  With (), its all a bit too dissolute and abstract.  There are tunes in there, but they're buried quite deep.  Tracks like #1 and #8 are awesome, but in a darker moodier sort of way.  Takk, on the other hand, sounds intentionally tighter, brighter and poppier.  As a result, its far more accessible than either of its predecessors.  For some people, that's an immediate turn-off, but it makes it a lot more my cup of tea.  Hoppipolla's gone on to Planet Earth ubiquity, but that doesn't detract from the fact that I think it's an amzing bit of music - and a very suitable accompaniment to stunning scenery of more or less any sort.  There are other tracks like Milano that approach it for soariness, and other fantastic moments like when the brass band come in on Hufpukar.

Suffice to say, a few years back I was wandering around Easter Island looking at the moai and the volcano craters, and a pre-release copy of Takk was the only album on my mp3 player that even began to seem like a suitable soundtrack accompaniment.

Vitalstatistix

Little Hoover

And on last fm as well, I'm definatley enjoying it more than takk so far.

CaledonianGonzo

In the face of a dozen snidey tags, in fact almost to spite the cunts, I'm enjoying this tremendously...the second track (Inní mér syngur vitleysingur- yes I cut'n'pasted it) is wonderful.

Edit:  As the crescendo on that track with the orchestra and children's choir...

Little Hoover

Yeah I thought it was very enjoyable, an Improvment over takk, which I didn't think much off, probably not as good as ageatis or () but I'd need more listens.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Emma Raducanu

Listening to Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust here, as you do and must admit Song 3 is lovely but the rest I can take or leave. I try to imagine if this was the first album I'd heard of theirs, I wouldn't by a long way, be as blown away as I was with Agaetis Byrjun. Just all seems slightly flat, but alas I will keep plugging away, as I did with Takk; it's listenable without being too great.

CaledonianGonzo

I'm still absolutely loving this.  It's a bit like ( ) in that its a game of two halves, with the opening tracks being more accessible, then it tapering off into darker and moodier waters, but there's some real spine-tingling moments on there.  Perhaps nothing thats destined to become as ubiquitous as Staralfur or Hoppipolla, but its still soundtracking a fair % of my waking hours at the moment..

It has now become imperative that I catch this lot on of their UK dates this summer.

Emma Raducanu

Actually, I agree slightly as I'm beginning to like it a bit more. I wish they'd just play some happy music, I'm sure they'd be good at it.

Heard this the other day, thought it was really boring. Fair enough they're trying something different but I don't think they're suited to this kind of acoustic folky music. ( ) is still their best record. 

JCBillington

Wow, just noted the tags. I didn't realise Sigur Ros were quite so hated.

Anyhow, my two aurar.

() would have been the first thing I heard, and I quite liked it, though found it derivative. The earlier albums are also pretty good, though again, no great shakes. It's very fashionable now to say you never liked Takk, but when it came out, and before it became the lazy BBC sound editors inpirational montage music of choice, and despite it being one step removed from MOR mood music, I really liked it. At the time I was seeing someone who lived in the countryside, and as such spent a lot of time driving through the countryside in the cold and dark, and the music sort of made sense. I didnt hear any of Hvarf Heim, and when my dad started asking about them I could tell there was something not quite right. So I approached the new album with some trepidation, and fuck me, theyve turned into the Icelandic Coldplay. It's horrible, bland, inspid, noncomittal, dull, pointless music, but carefully clings to its ever-so-slight eccentricities that would otherwise see it being written off completely as Clannad-style exotica for people who dont really listen to music.

Ignatius_S

Don't know what other dates are on the cards, but just received an e-flyer saying they're playing Bristol's Colston Hall on 23/11... tickets £23.50.

CaledonianGonzo

It would seem UK dates are:

november 4 • wolves civic, wolverhampton
november 5 • empress ballroom, blackpool
november 7 • colston hall, bristol
november 8 • solent hall, bournemouth
november 20 • alexandra palace, london

Pre-sale here: http://tickets.klink.is/Store/DisplayItems.html

Hmmm...Connect festival it is, then.  It'll cost me £50, but still cheaper than train/hotel combo to see them somewhere down south.

Oh - and I completely disagree with JCBillington's thesaurus-tastic post.  "Clannad-style exotica for people who dont really listen to music".  Fine, I'll just keep not really listening to music.

actwithoutwords

I haven't been disposed to listen to this too much. It's all a bit sickly sweet so I'm finding it difficult to listen to. I've really gone off them in a big way, which is a pity. Still really like Gobbledigook though.

chand

Bit late on this, but the Sugur Ros/Bjork gig in Iceland is streaming live in decent quality here: http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/jun/iceland/nattura_concert_natgeomusic.mov

Right now Sigur Ros are playing 'Gobbledigook' and Bjork has come on to play drums. She's doing a set afterwards.