Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:17:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bo Diddley RIP

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, June 02, 2008, 08:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Passing Turk Slipper

Sad news, I love his music, has always been one of the few musicians my dad and I agree on. RIP.

CaledonianGonzo

A genuine legend.  RIP indeed.

By way of tribute, here's Juicy Lucy with their awesome 1968 (?) version of 'Who Do You Love?'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXmi6MokHsw

Sad to hear the news, though I can't help feeling this is the start of a wave of that generation of blues/ rock n roll artists. Jerry Lee Lewis can't be long for this earth and Chuck Berry's tapping on a bit. I say saver there work whilst there still hear, if there on tour go see them. I saw Lonnie Donnagon before he went and I'm so glad I did.

I had tickets to see him at the Cavern a couple of years back but he pulled out as his health was getting worse.  Brilliant songwriter and innovator - influenced so many of the bands I love.

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PCG6kBk6tsw[/youtube]

GoochDogHigh5s

One of the greats

I wonder if they will bury him with that guitar

PaulTMA

There'd be no Hollyoaks theme without him.

GoochDogHigh5s

Quote from: PaulTMA on June 02, 2008, 09:53:35 PM
There'd be no Hollyoaks theme without him.

That is very profound!!

PaulTMA

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Ignatius_S

No shit...

QuoteSinger Mick Jagger has paid tribute to singer-guitarist Bo Diddley as an "enormous force in music" and "a big influence on the Rolling Stones".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7432827.stm

CaledonianGonzo

Well, indeed - though Not Fade Away is a Buddy Holly cover, it's all but a carbon copy of the Bo Diddley beat.  Plus they've covered the likes of Crackin' Up, Cops & Robbers, Roadrunner and Mona.  19th Nervous Breakdown rips off Diddley Daddy as well - though in a good way, natch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8jTYtLl9os

Ignatius_S

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on June 03, 2008, 10:34:49 AM
Well, indeed - though Not Fade Away is a Buddy Holly cover, it's all but a carbon copy of the Bo Diddley beat.  Plus they've covered the likes of Crackin' Up, Cops & Robbers, Roadrunner and Mona.  19th Nervous Breakdown rips off Diddley Daddy as well - though in a good way, natch.

Just couldn't resist!

In fairness to Jagger, in Crosstown Traffic where Charles Shaar Murray examines how white acts ripped off black artists, he points out that the Stones were always transparent about their influences, would credit others properly on their records and made sure that royalties were paid accordingly.

Egyptian Feast

I've just heard and I'm gutted. Another one of the greats has left us.

I had to immediately reach for 'Who Do You Love'. In my opinion, the perfect rock n' roll song. Bo's version is the daddy, but I fucking love Juicy Lucy and The Woolies' versions too, and there's probably a couple more I'm forgetting. I reckon nobody's matched the lyrics as a statement of sheer badassness:

QuoteI walked 47 miles of barbed wire, I use a cobra snake for a necktie
I got a brand new house on the roadside, made from rattlesnake hide
I got a brand new chimney made on top, made out of a human skull
Now come on, take a little walk with me, Arlene and tell me:
who do you love?

I've got a tombstone hand and a graveyard mind, I'm just twenty-two and I don't mind dyin'
Who do you love?

I rode around the town'n use a rattlesnake whip, take it easy Arlene don't give me no lip
Who do you love?

The night was dark and the sky was blue, down the alley a house wagon flew
Hit a bump and somebody screamed, you should'a heard just what I seen
Who do you love?

Arlene took me by my hand, she said, "Ooo-eee Bo, I understand"
Who do you love?

Nobody fucks with Bo Diddley.

Here's another one of my favourites, Cheyenne, from Bo Diddley Is A Gunslinger. Yep, he definitely was. RIP.

Glebe