Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:40:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CD Bargains Thread

Started by ThickAndCreamy, June 13, 2008, 12:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttgammon

I think Almond did a version of it but it wasn't Walker's own - like much of Scott Walker's early material, it's a translation of a Jacques Brel song.

Cor, my copy of Scott 4 is scratched to buggery so will definitely be getting a new one.

Scott 3 is worth getting for It's raining today on its own, it's just so eerie.

Lee Van Cleef

So far I've had a chance to listen to Scott 1 and Scott 2, they both have a kind of similar vibe and I really enjoyed both immensely.

PaulTMA

I went into Fopp yesterday and noticed the £3 Scott Walker reissues used and old, previous issue J-card under the CD tray despite the booklet at CD clearly being the later issue.  Why?  Has anyone ordered these from play.com and noticed if these are from the same batch or not?

The Plunger

My copies of '1' and '2' arrived yesterday. The first lp has some black and white studio photos behind the cd. The second is plain white with no writing on it. Both cds have a 'Digital 24bit HDCD remastered edition with restored original sleeve' sticker on the front. Dunno if this answers your question.

PaulTMA

Quote from: The Plunger on July 13, 2008, 07:38:49 PM
My copies of '1' and '2' arrived yesterday. The first lp has some black and white studio photos behind the cd. The second is plain white with no writing on it. Both cds have a 'Digital 24bit HDCD remastered edition with restored original sleeve' sticker on the front. Dunno if this answers your question.

What about th J-card under the CD tray?  Does it match up or look like some old thing from 1992 or thereabouts?

The Plunger

The '1' j-card seems to match up (and has Copyright 2000 written on it). The '2' j-card does indeed look slightly mis-matched and has 'Copyright 1992' on it.

Don_Preston

Quote from: The Plunger on June 27, 2008, 01:19:59 PM
Blah DVD are knocking out loads of the Universal Deluxe Editions for £8.95. Pretty decent price. I've ordered from them before and they've been fine.

http://www.blahdvd.com/blah/Promotion_Display.aspx?promotionId=1900000000001330&sortby=title

Thanks for that. Bought the Squeeze "Argybargy" and John Mayall and Clapton's "Bluesbreakers" and were dispatched today, so looking forward to these classic albums arriving. Think that deal ends soon, if my memory serves me right from last week.

scarecrow

you can get squeeze's deluxe argybargy for £6 on amazon's sellers' market

weekender

I haven't mentioned Whipping Boy's Heartworm before, have I?

You can get it quite cheaply here

weekender

Jeff Wayne's musical version of War of the Worlds, special edition RRP £79.99, reduced to £29.99 at Play:

http://playcom.at/cookdandbombd?DURL=http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/667497/The-War-Of-The-Worlds/Product.html

Edit: It was in stock about 2 hours ago, now it's showing as temporarily out of stock.  Mine is apparently 'packing'.

The Plunger

secondspin.com have currently got a promo on (use code 'heynow' and get 20% off and free shipping). They're a US company who sell secondhand cds/dvds. I've just made my first order with them, so can't vouch for how good they are. But for just under $7, I've ordered the following cds :

KINGMAKER ~ SLEEPWALKING
          Used CD - Price: $0.95

Mirwais ~ Production

Original Soundtrack ~ Jerry Maguire
          Used CD - Price: $1.67

Original Soundtrack ~ Wayne's World 2
          Used CD - Price: $0.71

Richard X ~ Presents His X-Factor, Vol. 1

SUPERSTAR ~ SUPERSTAR
          Used CD - Price: $1.43

However, if they turn up and are scratched to fuck then more fool me.

weekender

I think you'll have to pay a UK tax surcharge when they're delivered to you as well.

The Plunger

Shit, good point. Ideally they'd send them all separately but that seems unlikely. Bargains my arse !

Nah, you'll be fine.  That's well under thirteen quid in UK money (pre-postage), so customs'll have no interest in it.

I think the limit is about £18 before you have to pay duty to Customs (I'll try and dig out a link later), but I've heard stories of people getting higher value stuff through because the sender has assigned nil value to the package.

edit - here is the link: absurdly long HMRC url

There will be changes to the limit, but there's a load of confusion relating to these changes.

The Plunger

Bit of a bump for this thread, HMV are punting the Manics Deluxe 'Everything Must Go' reissue for a fiver at the moment. I've been waiting for this to drop in price for ages.

HERE

Is that the in-store price too?

The Plunger

Think it's online only Trotsky.

Any idea what the instore price is at the mo?  Just curious, since HMV online won't take my card payment.  Amazon are doing the deluxe 'Everything Must Go' for £6.99

Also, it may be of interest to one or two of you - most of the Blue Horizon (UK blues label) complete reissues are currently on Amazon at about a fiver, but the Gordon Smith, Jellybread and Top Topham releases are currently £2.99.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Not a CD, but you can get the version of "From Me To You" as featured on the John Lewis ad for free on their website.

PaulTMA

Jonathon Morris' version was superior.

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on December 12, 2008, 01:10:40 PM
Not a CD, but you can get the version of "From Me To You" as featured on the John Lewis ad for free on their website.

Would be a bargain only if you were paid to listen to it and given the names and addresses for the perpetrators of this musical crime so you could burn down their house with them still inside, wouldn't it?

Some of the Nick Cave albums are currently £2.98 at Amazon, so it's a good time to plug the holes in your collection.  Going by previous Amazon discounted prices, they'll probably be back up to £4.98 by next week sometime.

AnthonyJ

Quote from: trotsky assortment on December 18, 2008, 05:05:31 PM
Some of the Nick Cave albums are currently £2.98 at Amazon, so it's a good time to plug the holes in your collection.  Going by previous Amazon discounted prices, they'll probably be back up to £4.98 by next week sometime.

They are all being reissued from March on CD and 5.1 surround sound DVDs complete with films and b-sides hence - I guess - the price reduction.

Ooh - I didn't know that.  Thanks for the heads up. 

Mind you, is there any point in including extra b-sides?  That b-sides box was fairly comprehensive up to the point of release.

The Plaque Goblin

QuoteDear Amazon.co.uk Customer,

We'd like to give you an extra Christmas present: £3 to spend on anything in our MP3 Music Downloads store on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Visit us on December 25 or 26, then just add your chosen MP3s to your Shopping Basket (you need to use the Shopping Basket rather than 1-Click) and enter code FREEMP3S at the checkout--£3 will be deducted from the total. Feel free to forward this email to friends and family members--they can get £3 to spend on MP3s too!

Worth the bother?

For £3 you can get:

Chinese Democracy by Guns N' Roses
The Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow
Glasvegas by Glasvegas
Oracular Spectacular by MGMT
Only By The Night by Kings Of Leon
Fleet Foxes by Fleet Foxes
Oracular Spectacular by MGMT
Dear Science by TV On The Radio
Santogold by Santogold
Nevermind by Nirvana
Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix
Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
The Velvet Underground & Nico by The Velvet Underground

Currently in Amazon's £2.98 clearance:

Ryan Adams/Cardinals - Cold Roses
Ryan Adams - Rock n Roll
Ryan Adams - Demolition
Whiskeytown - Pneumonia
The Band - Music From Big Pink
The Band - The Band

If any americana fans are reading this and don't have either of those albums by The Band, they're absolutely essential.

Re: amazon...

The promotion code in Goblin's post above no longer works!  They've changed it so you now HAVE to pay for the free mp3s and then they'll refund you on 9th January.

I can't be bothered with that.