Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:55:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football - 2008/09 Season

Started by My Giddy Aunt, June 16, 2008, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My Giddy Aunt

There's not going to be too much of a break from Football this year what with the Euros going on over the summer. Great news for the likes of me.

The Premiership kicks off on the 16th August and the Championship and below on the 9th August.
The BBC has full provisional fixture lists up as of this morning.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7453880.stm

Here's the first days fixtures for the Prem and Championship:

Saturday, 16 August 2008
Arsenal v West Brom, 15:00
Aston Villa v Man City, 15:00
Bolton v Stoke, 15:00
Chelsea v Portsmouth, 15:00
Everton v Blackburn, 15:00
Hull v Fulham, 15:00
Man Utd v Newcastle, 15:00
Middlesbrough v Tottenham, 15:00
Sunderland v Liverpool, 15:00
West Ham v Wigan, 15:00

Saturday, 09 August 2008
Birmingham v Sheff Utd, 15:00
Blackpool v Bristol City, 15:00
Cardiff v Southampton, 15:00
Charlton v Swansea, 15:00
Coventry v Norwich, 15:00
Crystal Palace v Watford, 15:00
Derby v Doncaster, 15:00
Ipswich v Preston, 15:00
Nottm Forest v Reading, 15:00
Plymouth v Wolverhampton, 15:00
QPR v Barnsley, 15:00
Sheff Wed v Burnley, 15:00

The Masked Unit

Is there such a thing as a CaB fantasy football league? Should there be if not?

My Giddy Aunt

There definitely have been fantasy football leagues in the past with different levels of success.
I guess the main provders of these things haven't got their 08/09 leagues set up yet cos of the Euros but I may be wrong.

Premierleague one anyone? Or are there better ones out there?
So long as its good and its free I think people would want to do it again.

rudi

Quote from: The Masked Unit on June 16, 2008, 11:46:05 AM
Is there such a thing as a CaB fantasy football league? Should there be if not?

Yes. I won it last year. Go me.

We use the official Premiership one - s'very gooooooooood...

weekender

Tish and fipsy.

http://xperteleven.com/

League ID 116121 is where the proper CaB fantasy football player hangs out.  We have 9 teams! NINE!

Geraint

welp, Hull City in the Premiership was a nice underdog story for about 6 weeks but now they're trying to so publically unsettle Peter Halmosi I hope they go down with -5 points and worse, end up somehow paying children's entertainer Jay-Jay Okocha's wages for another year.

weekender

I should say at this point that no takeovers of existing teams in the X11 competition will be allowed until our current season has finished, which is due to be the beginning of August.  You can apply for a new team (to sort out training etc) but again this won't be officially in the league until the next season start.  Sorry.

actwithoutwords

Surely we can't abandon the old thread just as the transfer window is about to become [OPEN] once again?

AlfRamsey

Quote from: rudi on June 16, 2008, 08:43:38 PM
Yes. I won it last year. Go me.

We use the official Premiership one - s'very gooooooooood...

Though had I been around here, I'd have won. I finished in 1900th place in the whole ruddy thing.

chand

Looks like Blackburn are appointing Paul Ince as manager. Always good to have more ex-United players managing our top-flight rivals anyway. Interesting appointment though, since he's worked his way up from the lower leagues. Gotta be better than McClaren anyway.

"Boston vs NYC in the Soccerball World Series" will mean nothing in about three weeks but at this perfect moment: a chuckle.

buttgammon

It was a toss up between this thread and Laughable News really.

Dutch side name McClaren as boss

QuoteThe chairman of FC Twente has previously admitted that some fans of the club are against the appointment.

"Ninety per cent of fans think why him? But he is used to working with top players,"

It's probably cruel to find this funny. Poor Twente fans.

My Giddy Aunt

Pretty desperate stuff really considering he used to have the "top job in world football" <snigger>.

Im sure Twente is lovely though.

AlfRamsey

Quote from: My Giddy Aunt on June 20, 2008, 06:09:51 PM
Pretty desperate stuff really considering he used to have the "top job in world football" <snigger>.

Im sure Twente is lovely though.

Not really, they've got a massive hooligan following.

ziggy starbucks

Conveniently, the word Twente is a close approximation to the total number of points they'll get next season

and talking of getting twenty points in a season..............

............Alas Blackburn will have to do without Mclaren's genius. In other terrible news, Allardyce has 'ruled himself out' of the role. So it appears to be a toss up between michael laudrup and paul ince. Regarding michael laudrup, he was my favourite player when I was 8. I think one of the reasons was that we shared the same first name. I don't know if he's a good manager but the 8 year old in me is getting very excited about the possibility he could take over.

Plus it would be the very remarkable achievement of finding a manager who was an even better player than Mark Hughes was. If Laudrup takes over, I expect the next manager to have been an even better player. Expect Maradona or Cryuff to be blackburn manager in a couple of years.

Having said all that, it'll probably be Ince and he's probably the best man available. I have reservations about his step up from league 2 to the premier league but hopefully his playing experience will compensate for his lack of managerial experience. His should be able to recruit some decent players as well, assuming he has good contacts in the game. And of course he is used to managing with sod all money for transfers.

buttgammon

Quote from: AlfRamsey on June 20, 2008, 06:23:03 PM
Not really, they've got a massive hooligan following.

I retract my comment suggesting I felt sorry for them, then.

AlfRamsey

Quote from: buttgammon on June 20, 2008, 08:54:44 PM
I retract my comment suggesting I felt sorry for them, then.

They've also got a reputation for direct action. McClaren will get chased down the road if they perform poorly. Which would be entertaining.

rudi

AlfRamsey

Rudi made a funneh.

He gets two points.

ziggy starbucks

I don't think you are the real alf ramsey

rudi

He has more hair and a liking for pear vodka the real Ramsey would never had approved of...

buttgammon

Quote from: AlfRamsey on June 20, 2008, 09:12:48 PM
They've also got a reputation for direct action. McClaren will get chased down the road if they perform poorly. Which would be entertaining.

If that happens, I will retract my retraction.

AlfRamsey

I like wingers too. Or Ecstacy tablets as I believe you cool kids call them.

My Giddy Aunt

So. Ronaldo's off now, surely. After making those comments I can't imagine he can stay can he?

rudi

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ziggy starbucks

In shocking news, Ince has got the blackburn job. His job during the summer will be to sell off our best players for as high a price as possible. Bentley to spurs, Roque Cruz to arsenal. Bah

Lee Van Cleef

Wasn't the reported deal Sneijder and 65 mil?  Mmmm.  Make that 75 mil and hell yeah!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

People are saying how rubbish it will be if Cristiano Ronaldo leaves for Real Madrid because we will no longer be entertained by some of the insane football he's capable of playing.

But I think we'll probably be treated to all the good stuff he does on highlight reels and not have to watch him diving, putting that godawful hurt child face he does whenever the slightest thing fails, and generally acting like an unbearable cunt. Plus he won't be playing for Man Utd anymore which is great for all but Man Utd fans.

Yeah, it's going to work out pretty well this move to Madrid. Until I actually see him wearing the shirt, all my potential relief and happiness is on hold.

Slaaaaabs

Ah fuck it, he's gone. I sincerely hope he gets a massive culture shock when he doesn't get anywhere near as much protection from the revolving-door managerial setup at Real, both on the pitch and off it.

I look forward to seeing where the ridiculous amount of money gets spent. No chance of Kaka or Messi unfortunately, but there has to be someone worthy of the number 7 shirt.

actwithoutwords

Just noticed this:
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/06/21/why_united_should_let_this_ego.html

Could be open season on poor CR7 for the next few weeks.