Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:50:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football - 2008/09 Season

Started by My Giddy Aunt, June 16, 2008, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danger Man

Three cheers for whoever did the first tag. I get most of my 'soccer news' from the BBC website and it looks like the last Champions League final has really gone to their heads.

If Steve McClaren does well at Twente then that will prove he is worthy of managing again in the Premiership. Arshavin is not just a decent player...he's good enough for the Premiership. Blah blah blah blah? Blah blah blah blah blah Premiership.

The football pyramid seems to have expanded in the last 2 months and now every league in the world feeds into the Premiership.

grrrr....

George Oscar Bluth II

I wonder if the Italian media was this insufferable during the 90s when Serie A was the best league in the world? Or the Spanish media in the early part of this decade?

The answer's probably yes.

The thing I've enjoyed about Euro 2008 is the fact that I can choose which team I want to win based on something other than which of the two teams I hate the least. And also the lack of hyperbole. No-one's trying to convince you it's the best thing ever, neither broadcaster has to. They can cover it from a journalistic angle rather than as salesmen.

It'll be a pity to slip back into the Premiership come August.

the midnight watch baboon

Spurs sign PSV's goalie Gomes, who looks pretty solid with the odd eccentricity thrown in. Seeya Robbo, I guess.

hoverdonkey

Gomes is a monster. Nickname is 'The Octopus'. He's got incredible presence. Chatting to some PSV fans, they are very sad to see him go and say that while is prone to the occasional error, he will win you far more games. Bit like David James I suppose.

Knocked us out of the UEFA Cup last year with an amazing last-minute save from Steed and then saving Jenas' pen which would have won it.

richey

Didn't that Gomes costs PSV their rightful place in the 05' champions league final with a cock up against Milan?

Listened to 606 last night with Danny Baker, such a breath of fresh air after being subjected to Tim Lovejoy and Spoony last season. He was discussing the influence of David Bowie on Euro 2008, i thought it was ace anyway.

chand

Quote from: hoverdonkey on June 27, 2008, 11:53:27 AM
Gomes is a monster. Nickname is 'The Octopus'. He's got incredible presence. Chatting to some PSV fans, they are very sad to see him go and say that while is prone to the occasional error, he will win you far more games. Bit like David James I suppose.

Knocked us out of the UEFA Cup last year with an amazing last-minute save from Steed and then saving Jenas' pen which would have won it.

Yeah, I know a PSV fan who rates Gomes very highly, and thinks they're getting ripped off by the mooted figures.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: richey on June 27, 2008, 12:18:22 PM
Listened to 606 last night with Danny Baker, such a breath of fresh air after being subjected to Tim Lovejoy and Spoony last season. He was discussing the influence of David Bowie on Euro 2008, i thought it was ace anyway.

Yeah, it's been ace. I don't want to know what Gary on the M4 thinks about Ronaldo, I want to hear from a bloke who's father in law changed the channel right in the middle of the 1988 men's 100m Olympic final or about a guy who thought he'd died after walking into a lamppost outside White Hart Lane.

drberbatov

Gomes had a great record at PSV, if the transfer fee is being correctly reported then it will be a bargain. I'm looking forward to watching the new signings at Carrow Road on the 28th of July and hopefully against Roma in August. A lot of credit must go to Ramos, Commoli and Levy for acting decisively and securing Modric, Dos Santos and Gomes, it's a real statement of intent by the club.

richey

QuoteYeah, it's been ace. I don't want to know what Gary on the M4 thinks about Ronaldo, I want to hear from a bloke who's father in law changed the channel right in the middle of the 1988 men's 100m Olympic final or about a guy who thought he'd died after walking into a lamppost outside White Hart Lane.

And the guy who was allowed to go and watch Doncaster on his own for the first time by his mum, then on the way home they tried to knock conkers out of a tree and one fell on his eye and he ended up in hospital.

hoverdonkey

I vaguely remember a story about the two brothers who went with their Dad to watch the Coventry-Spurs Cup final, but the Dad died in the car on the way, so they left him in there while they watched the football.

I'm sure that's right, but I might be mixing it up with a little bit of Little Miss Sunshine.

buttgammon

I'm sure I heard a story about how two brothers went to that game but one was stricken with appendicitis in the stands and had to go to hospital. I think his brother accompanied with him and barely forgave him for falling ill and making him miss the game.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: hoverdonkey on June 27, 2008, 03:02:19 PM
I vaguely remember a story about the two brothers who went with their Dad to watch the Coventry-Spurs Cup final, but the Dad died in the car on the way, so they left him in there while they watched the football.

I'm sure that's right, but I might be mixing it up with a little bit of Little Miss Sunshine.

Yes that's right, though I think it was Grandad who departed, with Dad and the boys watching the match, so the caller (and Dan) spun it a bit as "well, he was old anyway". But still, he was rather shocked. You can never tell if some of the stories are true or not, but they make great listening so I don't care.

May as well post this link in three threads now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/podcasts/606/

weirdbeard

Football's Mr. Sex.  And Deco.

actwithoutwords

What do people reckon of all this Robbie Keane to Liverpool talk? Surely it couldn't happen? Either way, it looks like we are on a mission to piss off the fans of every club bubbling under the top 4 this summer. Until of course we drop out of said top 4 and let one of them in come next May...

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Well it looks like Big Phil is following the lead set by all international managers that then become club managers by signing all the players that used to play for him on international duty.

drberbatov

Quote from: actwithoutwords on July 01, 2008, 01:19:29 AM
What do people reckon of all this Robbie Keane to Liverpool talk? Surely it couldn't happen? Either way, it looks like we are on a mission to piss off the fans of every club bubbling under the top 4 this summer. Until of course we drop out of said top 4 and let one of them in come next May...

How could you explain the links they had with Stewart Downing last week?

My Giddy Aunt

Quote from: actwithoutwords on July 01, 2008, 01:19:29 AM
What do people reckon of all this Robbie Keane to Liverpool talk?

He gets linked every summer of late doesn't he?

Apparently he was a childhood red... heh.

the midnight watch baboon

Spurs's's must be trimming the strays from its huge pack of hounds soon, three in and none out (save Cerny) so far from an already bloated beast. Thud's signed a new five yearer too, sosomeone from centre mid's got to go, along with possibly the likes of Chimbonda, Dawson, Kaboul, YP Lee, Tainio, Malbranque, Robinson, Bent... The return of Gareth Bale's an amazing plus, too. Though that does sound a bit like a John Irving novel.

bill hicks

Lee is off to PSV in part-ex with Gomes, only personals to be sorted I think.

Lennon will probably be shifted as soon as a right winger agrees terms and Robinson is probably off soon too. West Brom I think.

The Prince is also off to Germany again, I think, and Dawson will be playing for a newly promoted side within the month apparently.

Keane and Berbatov will go depending on if the super rich clubs that aren't as rich as they want people to believe come in for them.

drberbatov

Apparently the Bentley deal will be announced this week, here he is with his new team mate

MuteBanana

Really? Brilliant. I'm going to go ahead and move him to Spurs on the Football Manager editor then.

I'm keeping my eyes closed and putting my fingers in my ears while this nonsense about Keane and Berbatov leaving goes on though.

My Giddy Aunt

Quote from: TVs Nick Wealthall on July 05, 2008, 06:37:16 PM
The good fantasy football league is [OPEN] 2008-2009:

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

I expect someone will tell me there's already a league set up, but if not I have set one up....

Code to join this league: 18975-5944

chand

Quote from: drberbatov on July 06, 2008, 11:40:04 AM
Apparently the Bentley deal will be announced this week, here he is with his new team mate

What a pair of tits!

Hey, that girl in the middle there has big breasts too etc

Quote from: My Giddy Aunt on July 06, 2008, 01:37:20 PM
I expect someone will tell me there's already a league set up, but if not I have set one up....

Code to join this league: 18975-5944

The admin of the one most people were in last year (Chris Morris League) needs to set up his team and we should all automatically go back into that league. I'll join that one later if I'm winning. Wasn't it you that finished 1900th overall last year though MGA? so that's unlikely.

ziggy starbucks

Quote from: drberbatov on July 06, 2008, 11:40:04 AM

My Giddy Aunt

Quote from: TVs Nick Wealthall on July 06, 2008, 02:19:29 PM
The admin of the one most people were in last year (Chris Morris League) needs to set up his team and we should all automatically go back into that league. I'll join that one later if I'm winning. Wasn't it you that finished 1900th overall last year though MGA? so that's unlikely.
Bloody hell, I'd be very surprised if i did?! Where can I look? I completely forgot about playing it and didnt even check the updates so i doubt its me you're thinking of.

phes

Oh yeah sorry My Giddy Aunt, you aren't the fantasy football genius I thought you were - you're a 14th placey quitty nobody. Good luck next year!

Here's the man to beat:

Quote from: AlfRamsey on June 17, 2008, 08:51:32 PM
Though had I been around here, I'd have won. I finished in 1900th place in the whole ruddy thing.

phes

Crouch to Portsmouth looks to be a done deal and I'll be pleased as punch with this. Forty something goals in 130 odd games - many as sub - for Liverpool and at £10m he looks a safe bet. Now all we urgently need is a right winger that can cross the ball, an Emile Heskey for rainy days, and we've got the classic little and large set up. Classic football is not something to be expected though.