Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:02:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig Regrets

Started by alan nagsworth, June 17, 2008, 04:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

didgeripoo

Quote from: vdbn on June 19, 2008, 12:39:10 AM
Having just ransacked my room looking for the programme from that year, I can't be definite on this. However, I think what happened was that they weren't scheduled to clash BUT Evan Dando's late appearance meant that when Portishead were meant to be on the band due on before them came on, THEN Evan and then Portishead. Consequently, they came on well late and consequently I missed Pulp.

Nah, I remember 'seeing' the beginning of the Portishead set (from outside the ludicrously packed tent) and it causing me to miss a bit of Orbital until I just gave up and went and watched Orbital instead. Definitely saw the whole of Pulp, who were fantastic. That was a good Glastonbury year, I was only 15. Then I went in 1998, and it put me off for good.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Nik Drou on June 17, 2008, 10:10:51 AM
That's incredible.  I was just about to type that I regret missing Venetian Snares at Dedbeat in 2002, as I was in a crowd in another room waiting for Edan to start.  I guess I dodged a bullet.

Really? I'd feel that way if I'd missed Edan personally... incidentally I did miss him playing at Cargo because I was seeing Jean Claude Vannier at the Barbican, not a hard decision really but I would have liked to have done both.

I also went to my first gig, V96 (yes, it really has been going that long), something like a month before I got into the Super Furry Animals... and realised I'd missed them on the second stage. Made up for that since though.

Pie Pie Eater

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 20, 2008, 12:28:51 PM
I was seeing Jean Claude Vannier at the Barbican
Jesus, how was that? I fucking love "L'Enfant Assassin des Mouches"

mitzidog

I regret going to see Richard Marx (as you would)

I got a free Aerosmith ticket out of it though, back in the "Love in an Elevator" days - fantastic show, so worth an evening of enduring proto-blunt MOR shennanigans.

Mindbear

Quote from: didgeripoo on June 20, 2008, 08:36:21 AM
Nah, I remember 'seeing' the beginning of the Portishead set (from outside the ludicrously packed tent) and it causing me to miss a bit of Orbital until I just gave up and went and watched Orbital instead. Definitely saw the whole of Pulp, who were fantastic. That was a good Glastonbury year, I was only 15. Then I went in 1998, and it put me off for good.

Ha, I think we had the same experience. No more than one weekend writhing around in shit for me thanks!

Thinking about it, I really regret not seeing Warren Zevon the last time he came to London.  I didn't know then that it would be the last time.

Looknorth

Quote from: nagsworth on June 18, 2008, 09:37:19 AM
Damn Jemble, that's a mighty shame! I would've loved to see Catatonia in the midst of International Velvet-era touring.
I saw them back then in Sydney, but they were tired, oh so tired from that monstrous flight so a little laclustre.
Jembles, you're a Welsh whore :)

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Marvin on June 17, 2008, 02:44:23 PM
I then got a phonecall afterwards, Robyn played one of the best sets of his life with Peter Buck on lead guitar in his band, for the encore Michael Stipe and Mike Mills came and joined them on stage for some Byrds covers, some Hitchcock songs, Electrolite and a at-that-point unreleased R.E.M. song (I'm Gonna DJ). Also Thom Yorke was in the audience and spent a good while chatting to the bar staff.

You missed out Bill Reiflin (REM, Swans, Pigface, Ministry etc.) on drums. However, Buck doesn't really play lead guitar (although he may have that night), it's mainly Hitchcock, but it does vary.

However, that line-up (sans Mills and Stipe) should be touring the UK for a third time next year.

Quote from: buttgammon on June 17, 2008, 11:40:58 AM
I was on holiday when John Cale and The Fall came to town.

Shit, need I say any more?

Not really.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Pie Pie Eater on June 20, 2008, 12:51:24 PM
Jesus, how was that? I fucking love "L'Enfant Assassin des Mouches"

That was the half I was there for, though most people seemed to be there for the Melody Nelson half. Needless to say it was amazing, especially the L'Enfant Assassin des Mouches half. I have one small gig regret there: I had to leave for L'Enfant au Royaume des Mouches, which is amazing, as I had a sudden urge to do a wee. Heard it from the foyer though, watching on the screens before going back in. I saw David Axelrod at the RFH years before and Vannier was actually better.

This screenprint has pride of place on my wall: