Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:02:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

what is the name of this painting

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, June 24, 2008, 02:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Passing Turk Slipper

Hey. I saw it in the Asian art section of the New York met just under a year ago. It was quite a long section of scroll and it told the story of a guy's trip down a river, I think it was done by two people - one did the poetry and calligraphy and another guy did the artwork. It was really amazing but I don't know anything about art so haven't really got a clue how to find out its name. I've looked on the met website through the asian art section and it isn't there, maybe it's a bit of a long shot but if anyone knows anything about Asian art I think its pretty famous. Sorry this is a bit of a non thread, but if anyone has any similar requests stick them in here.

Cerys

Ignatius_S

If not, any idea of the period? This type of medium has been popular for centuries.

A Passing Turk Slipper

hey Cerys, thanks for that, it's lovely. It isn't the one I'm thinking of though unfortunately. I think maybe I'm imagining it, I've found one called Poem Written in a Boat on the Wu River which I thought was it but only has calligraphy in it with no colour or artwork (not that calligraphy isn't art but I'm not sure what word to use). Maybe I just totally misremember what I saw, but I'm sure I saw this amazing scroll, perhaps it was a bit more modern (maybe even 20th century?) that was quite long (long as in to the side), it had the beautifully drawn characters telling the story of this guy's trip down a river or just his day or something, and beside the characters where really amazing and sometimes quite abstract illustrations of the landscape and the things being described by the characters. I could just be imagining it or combining all my favourite pieces that I saw that day, I was totally blown away by the Asian art there and spent a couple of hours staring at and attempting to take in all these beautiful things but I really hope I'm not. I wanted to write down the name but didn't have my notebook on me. Ah well, thanks anyway.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: Ignatius_S on June 24, 2008, 04:37:09 PM
If not, any idea of the period? This type of medium has been popular for centuries.
Hi, for some reason I think it may be fairly modern, as I said it could possibly even be from the mid twentieth century. I'm sorry, I'm really shit. Anything remotely related to what I described I'd be interested in looking at regardless of whether it's what I remembered or not Looking at it on a computer screens never going to be the same but would still be nice to know what it was.

Cerys

Dammit, I'm on a mission now.  Can you describe any particular images from it?

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: Cerys on June 26, 2008, 03:58:13 PM
Dammit, I'm on a mission now.  Can you describe any particular images from it?
Haha, I'm not sure if my incredibly vague memories of the actual content would be much help. The symbols were fairly infrequent, I think the actual poem was quite short and very simple in its language. The art itself was similarly quite sparse, it kind of flowed really nicely into the white of the page and came out of no where and had this really dreamy lovely quality that fitted perfectly with the words of the poetry. I remember a tree and a river bank. In fact, maybe the whole scroll was one long illustration of the stream and it's banks, but it still retained the simplicity and I'm sure it used the white of the page to give it this dreamy quality.
I'm starting to think maybe I'm just imagining it all, maybe I just read the translation of Poem Written in a Boat on the Wu River and my mind created the images that I'm remembering.
Don't go to any trouble trying to find it Cerys, you might be looking for a painting radically different from my description, I thought it might be quite famous (it probably is) and someone maybe could tell from my description what its name was but my memory is shit. In a way it's quite cool if I never find out what it's name is I suppose. I remember exactly where in the Met I saw it which is annoying. If I go to NYC again I will definitely try and find it. Thanks for your help and interest. In looking for it I have found some really cool pieces of Asian art so maybe we can have a thread about that sometime.

Danger Man

It sounds like something by Shitao (1642-1707)

Returning Home is close to your description, except that it's an album and not a scroll.

A Passing Turk Slipper

That's really nice Danger Man, would love to see it in higher quality. But it isn't the one unfortunately. The one I'm thinking of doesn't separate the calligraphy and art work like that I don't think, they are around each other if you get what I mean. I think finding it may be a lost cause. Thanks for everyone's help though.

Danger Man

You could always send the Met an email and ask them to help you.

I'm sure the staff would be genuinely delighted to get a fan letter from a member of the public and the chance to 'play detective'/'show off their knowledge' would be irresistible. 

Cerys

Any luck yet, APTS?

I'm trying to track down the name of a surrealist painting I saw in poster form getting on for twenty years ago.  All I can  remember about it is that it portrayed two (or possibly three) little girls playing, drawing, or reading in a room, the walls of which seemed to melt into a sea vista involving a ship.  Maybe.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Cerys on July 29, 2008, 06:30:08 PM
....Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Not normally... but was it this one?

(Entre Les Trous de La Memoire by Dominique Appia)

Cerys

Yes!  That's the one!  Thankyou thankyou thankyou!  Google wouldn't put out for me.  I feel spurned.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Cerys on August 01, 2008, 05:29:16 PM
Yes!  That's the one!  Thankyou thankyou thankyou!  Google wouldn't put out for me.  I feel spurned.

Hooray for me! I think I remember being a little disturbed by it in a school art class and that the artist's name reminded of the word 'apple'.... all I need to do now is find APTS' mystery painting...

Baxter

Cerys

I suspect that's too old and not long enough.

mothman

Cerys

A Passing Turk Slipper

shit baxter I reckon that could well be it! How did you find it? It really does seem pretty familiar so I reckon my mind has just misremembered it as a much longer scroll thing. I need to find a high resolution version of that or a print or something, thats it though I'm sure, even in that low quality image it looks like the one, I love it. Thanks so much, and thanks a lot cerys too for your help and interest, I'm glad you got something out of the thread ie the name of that surrealist painting, which incidentally looks pretty amazing itself. Sorry for being so late, only just checked this thread again now wasn't really expecting anything, super happy now, thanks a lot peeps.

Ignatius_S

Thank flip for that - one less question I have to ponder during a sleepless night!

Godzilla Bankrolls

Can anyone tell me who the hell painted this, at all? Please?

terminallyrelaxed

Godzilla Bankrolls

It's a friend's birthday and I'm scrambling for ideas; then I remembered that she liked this artist. I need to know!

terminallyrelaxed

No, I meant why did they paint it? What the bejesus possessed them to do such a thing?

Godzilla Bankrolls

Well, it's a short step from 'who' to 'why', hopefully.

samadriel

That definitely looks like a Mark Ryden.

edit:  Yeah, look at the 'Meat Show' part of the gallery, the above pic is 'Princess Sputnik' from that section.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Thanks, samadriel!

Sadly, his works are too costly. Bah.

samadriel

Yeah, he's been a big deal for, jeez, 20-ish years now.  He did the cover of 'Dangerous', heheh.

You might be able to get, say, the 'Fushigi Circus' Ryden book from here?  Shipping could potentially bite you in the arse (it's a Sydney shop), and god knows if it really is still available there, but hey!  You'd roar with laughter to know what 75 bucks Australian is in GBP, so if the shipping's not alot worse...

Godzilla Bankrolls

Cheers Sam, but I've found a magazine that carried a few pieces of his work - that'll do the job nicely. I can pick up the Fushigi Circus book for about £35 over here, though - maybe for Christmas.