Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:27:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Wimblemong 2008 - Info Centre (Draws, rules, news etc)

Started by Derek Trucks, July 01, 2008, 09:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

Quote from: swarfmonkey on July 11, 2008, 09:23:59 AM
If weekender hasn't got Al to play against you could select the next highest scoring loser. Someone who got around 10 votes in round one and who's available to play all weekend.

This sounds very fair, to be honest.

Derek Trucks

Well as we never heard from Al again I suppose it's the obvious solution.  So swarfmonkey is back in.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

I'm going out soon and won't be home until Sunday night, so don't start fretting guys! I will think about my shot in the meantime.

swarfmonkey

Quote from: Derek Trucks on July 11, 2008, 11:05:49 PM
Well as we never heard from Al again I suppose it's the obvious solution.  So swarfmonkey is back in.

I'm in! Yea! Can you rename the Weekender vs thread Derek?

weekender

I don't think Derek has the power to rename the thread.  I'll just start a new one.

Derek Trucks

I probably won't get a chance to log in until tm evening, I see people are keeping note of the 48-rule though, if they could continue to do so that would be great, and I'll have a counting frenzy tomorrow.

DocDaneeka

Anybody have a list of who is through so far, and which matches are still being played/voted on?

Winners:
Small Man Big Horse
CTS   
ziggy starbucks
Micanio
DocDaneeka
Clone Army
Koant
Delete
no_offenc
Miles
weekender

Current high scoring losers:
jutl
Rubbish Monkey
TVs Nick Wealthall
Cerys

To finish:
Johnny Yesno   v   The Boston Crab

(I think)

Derek Trucks

The last shot of Round 2 has been posted, and voting on that game will end Weds morning.  This means I'll be doing the draw for Round 3 sometime on Weds evening, therefore the first shots will need to be posted by midnight Saturday/Sunday.  Are we all still happy with 3 shots per player per round from now on?

Admin, would it be possible you could rename this thread 'Wimblemong 2008 - Info Centre (Draws, rules, news etc)' as it's a tad confusing being called Round 1.  Thanks.

DocDaneeka

3 Shots? Well it depends on how quick the other player is going to be, since I'm off for a week on saturday.

Derek Trucks

Ok Doc, thanks for letting me know.  I'm sure if you're game is still going on we can work something out - I'm aware that there may be a few players off on holiday over the course of the tournament.

ziggy starbucks

I think 3 shots per game should come in a round later, when there are only 4 games. The 8 matches coming up will drag on forever with 3 shots and its likely there'll be plenty of withdrawals.

Small Man Big Horse

I agree with Ziggy on this one, the speed of the first round was really impressive but things have slowed down a tad now, so I think making it for 2 for this round and the 3 for the following ones would be a good idea.

Koant

Another vote (yes there's an invisible poll going on) for keeping it at 2 shots for the time being.

Derek Trucks

Ok, that's fine by me.  It'll be 2 shots this round - though I'm not sure whether the 3 shots should start from the quarters or the semis.  We'll say quarters, pending objections.

weekender

Just to let you know, I'm not here from Friday to Sunday inclusive.  Depending on the draw and my opponent, I may try and blitz a quick match from Wednesday onwards and/or ask for an extension, or wait until the beginning of next week.  If my opponent plays a shot on Friday and you don't allow me any sort of deadline extension then you're all colluding clique cunts.

jutl

I have to duck out. Cue up the next highest scoring loser, please.

Artemis

jutl announces he has to duck out, but how will Trucks respond?

ziggy starbucks

eluc55

Quote from: jutl on July 23, 2008, 07:12:11 AM
I have to duck out. Cue up the next highest scoring loser, please.

I imagine the other contestants are punching the air now :)

ziggy starbucks

its clearly a flounce

the fear of drawing me in the next round has rattled the poor fellow

Spoiler alert
the fear of being bored to death by my shots
[close]

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Derek Trucks on July 21, 2008, 05:27:27 PM
Ok, that's fine by me.  It'll be 2 shots this round - though I'm not sure whether the 3 shots should start from the quarters or the semis.  We'll say quarters, pending objections.

I much prefer this streamlined Wimblemong. My vote is for 2 shots all the way (except for the final, maybe).

Derek Trucks

Now that jutl has retired it makes sense to foreit his 2nd round match and open up the next highest loser spot.  With all the matches complete, the highest losers look like this:

Rubbish Monkey  15
TV's Nick           15
Cerys                14
Fanny Splendid   12
The Boston Crab 12

So Fanny and TBC are tied for 4th place, meaning that we have to have a 24 hour voting playoff to determine who goes through.  Once that's done, I'll do the draw tomorrow night.

I also think that two shots is best; the standard has been generally higher this year, with everybody putting proper effort in (except weekender, obviously) and I reckon the two-shot format is the reason. Since there are plenty of games going on, maybe more than ever, there's still a load of monging around so it's not like we're being deprived of much, probably just a few more 'cobbled-together in half an hour' attempts to get things over and done with.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on July 23, 2008, 02:37:15 PM
its clearly a flounce

the fear of drawing me in the next round has rattled the poor fellow

Spoiler alert
the fear of being bored to death by my shots
[close]

How dare you enter this tournament and then have the gall to actually post mongs in the threads. Honestly, you're such a selfish bastard sometimes.

DocDaneeka

When is the draw going to be? Unless it's pretty soon I don't think I'll have enough time to finish a match before I am off for a week.

SOPHIA

I regret to inform you that in going out drinking and gallavanting with a young woman, Derek has neglected his duties as Wimblemong umpire and is in no fit state to make the draw tonight.  I will try and get him to recitfy this sorry situation sometime tomorrow.

eluc55

Basically, Derek's being held by police.

Poor woman. He gallavanted her for three terrible hours.