Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:29:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[Muso] lyrics before music, or music before lyrics

Started by Garfield And Friends, April 20, 2004, 04:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Create the music first, then add lyrics?

Yes. (the music usually comes first)
6 (85.7%)
No. (prefer to let the lyrics determine the music)
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: April 20, 2004, 04:48:00 PM

When creating a song, do you write the lyrics first, or do you write the music first? I'm not asking which is better (since I've heard of many people using either/both methods), but just the experience of other VerbWhores when it comes to crafting a tune.

Which is it, and why?

Music first. Although I do spend a lot more time deciding lyrics.

didgeripoo

Depends. If I'm in work and feeling creative I haven't exactly got a guitar or a piano to hand. I have however got many many pens and lots of post it notes. Situation therefore dictates method in those cases.

I used to write music first more often than lyrics, but that's balanced out a bit now. I think perhaps because I'm more confident that I'll come up with something interesting musically, so the lyrics represent more of a challenge.

Des Nilsen

Music first, then lyrics if I can be bothered. Actually, the lyrics come about eventually, it's just I'm not very good at writing 'acceptable' lyrics. They're usually pretty glum and dramatic and are neither fish nor fowl - too poetic (and without rhyme) to be lyrical but too vague to be proper poetry.

I like to have a certain flow and metre to lyrics and then sometimes try to assign them to a song, so I write the music and when that's sorted and finalised I write a whole batch of lyrics and pick the best ones. I can't sing them though, so I'm knackered when it comes to putting them together properly. One day I'll have to phone a friend on that one.

-

Gazeuse

Music comes first normally with me, but I'm sometimes inspired by words (Normally someone elses)...But I mostly do instrumental stuff.