Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:47:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

demos/unreleased tracks etc.

Started by european son, April 20, 2004, 05:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

european son

those great songs you hear knocking about, either off the 'net, or at live gigs, which the the artists in question inexplicably never record properly and put on plastic.

Moz's Striptease With A Difference is one of the wittiest and catchiest things Moz has ever written.

a quick googling tells us its "a song that was never released, allegedly due to it being so bad".

fuck off!. if it was indeed demoed for Viva Hate it's better than the all of that album past Suedehead.

any other unreleased tracks by anyone people think are worthy of a listen?

Radiohead have a few gems they've never recorded:

True Love Waits
Big Ideas
Big Boots
Reckoner
Follow Me Around
Up On The Ladder

dan dirty ape

Prince's 'Lisa' is worth a listen. It's essentially him lamenting an unrequited thing for his keyboard player, Lisa out of Wendy & Lisa.  Might have been a bit uncomfortable playing that one out with The Revolution I spose.

'Sappy', 'Verse/Chorus/Verse' or whatever the hell else it's called according to what bootleg you've bought by Nirvana is a cracking Kurt-goes-pop song in the 'About A Girl' mould.

mrpants

Just to add to that Radiohead list...

Lift

It's one of my favourites, so much so that I always mention it whenever a thread like this comes up.

TJ

Pink Floyd's 'Reaction In G'; a ferocious instrumental from their early live set that verges on white noise in places. It would quite probably cause people who've only ever heard their 1970s stuff to faint.

Loads of tracks that The La's only ever did live, especially 'I Am The Key', 'The Way We Came' and 'Swashbuckler'.

Neville Chamberlain

That Cardiacs track they always seem to play live but hasn't (as far as I know) actually been recorded. I don't know what it's called, but it goes something like this...

*badabada* "Oi!" *badabada* "Oi! Oi" *badabada* "Oi!" *badabada* "Oi! Oi"

And then it launches into a classic kick-botty Cardiacs-style anthemic bit!

Know the one?

jutl

I've posted this before, but it reams the released version (which was on an unreleased tracks compilation in any case) -

The Velvet Underground - Guess I'm Falling In Love (Vocal)

Pilf

Quote from: "Jim"That Cardiacs track they always seem to play live but hasn't (as far as I know) actually been recorded. I don't know what it's called, but it goes something like this...

*badabada* "Oi!" *badabada* "Oi! Oi" *badabada* "Oi!" *badabada* "Oi! Oi"

And then it launches into a classic kick-botty Cardiacs-style anthemic bit!

Know the one?

I do, it's absolutely amazing. I've got an mp3 of it live somewhere. It's always referred to as 'Silvery' isn't it?

Can't wait for that to be released properly

boki

{Ah, Pilf beat me to it}

Oh, oh, I've got one!  'Push' by The Wildhearts - it's an unreleased bootleg from the 'Endless Nameless' sessions and I can only guess that it was considered too uplifting to go on that album.  It's certainly interesting from the point of view that you can definitely hear the genesis of Grand Theft Audio (the band subsequently formed by drummer Rich Battersby and producer Ralph Jezzard) there, but it's a stronger song than anything on the GTA album IMO.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "TJ"
Loads of tracks that The La's only ever did live, especially 'I Am The Key', 'The Way We Came' and 'Swashbuckler'.

Yes, in particular 'The Way We Came' (also known as 'Something I Said')...there only seems to be couple of versions knocking about, both poor quality live versions, but a fantastic, simple song.
I also have a live version of 'There She Goes' from 1987 which features a whole extra set of lyrics in the middle 8 section. Interesting to hear.

glitch

Quote from: "TJ"Pink Floyd's 'Reaction In G'; a ferocious instrumental from their early live set that verges on white noise in places. It would quite probably cause people who've only ever heard their 1970s stuff to faint.

Sounds interesting... time to look on Soulseek

My recommendation: Nine Inch Nails - Digital Allied. Although some people have told me it's a pre-Fragile hoax...

TJ

Quote from: "The Unicorn"

Yes, in particular 'The Way We Came' (also known as 'Something I Said')...there only seems to be couple of versions knocking about, both poor quality live versions, but a fantastic, simple song.
I also have a live version of 'There She Goes' from 1987 which features a whole extra set of lyrics in the middle 8 section. Interesting to hear.

You don't by any chance havae the withdrawn single featuring 'Ride Yer Camel' etc, do you?

El Unicornio, mang

Do you mean the 'Timeless Melody' single with 'All By Myself', 'Clean Prophet' and 'Ride Yer Camel' as the B-sides? If so, yes. The moderator off the La's fansite was kind enough to send me a dvd full of rare La's stuff.

If you want these, I can put them in my Soulseek folder, or I might be able to put them up on my webspace.

Ride Yer Camel is 8 minutes of musical torture, mind...

phes

Not sure if radiohead ever released a song called 'Banana co'. It was certainly a favourite at gigs in 1994.

Schlippy

Dylan's I'm Not There is worth digging out, if you're into that kind of thing. Recorded as part of the Basement Tapes sessions of '67, but not released on the album that finally made it out in '75, and, as far as I'm aware, not performed live anywhere.

It's got that beautiful rolling sound that the stuff he did with The Band has (big ol' bass, hammond etc.), and the lyrics just sort of float in and out on top of the music. Originally an old Memphis blues number, I think.

Been trying to upload a mp3 of it, but my dogshit connection won't let me.

TJ

Quote from: "The Unicorn"Do you mean the 'Timeless Melody' single with 'All By Myself', 'Clean Prophet' and 'Ride Yer Camel' as the B-sides? If so, yes. The moderator off the La's fansite was kind enough to send me a dvd full of rare La's stuff.

If you want these, I can put them in my Soulseek folder, or I might be able to put them up on my webspace.

Completism, dear Unicorn...

Quote from: "phes"Not sure if radiohead ever released a song called 'Banana co'. It was certainly a favourite at gigs in 1994.
Yeah, it was released as a b-side to Street Spirit

phes

Yeah, it was released as a b-side to Street Spirit

Think that may have been an acoustic version???
The song was originaly a group affair, and rocked!

phes

Whoops! Having trouble working out how to quote properly. Crap with computers.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "The Unicorn"Do you mean the 'Timeless Melody' single with 'All By Myself', 'Clean Prophet' and 'Ride Yer Camel' as the B-sides? If so, yes. The moderator off the La's fansite was kind enough to send me a dvd full of rare La's stuff.

Completism, dear Unicorn...

Yeah, I tend to be like that with bands I like, even if I don't like the songs.
Anyway, they're in my soulseek 'J-L' folder. My username is jonwood

european son

this one's especially for Peking O, cos i know how much he loves 'em

Babyshambles - The Man Who Would Be King

Babyshambles of course being one of Peter Doherty's side projects.

i love the bit when the walky bass comes in on the "la las"

this is one of the tracks which is being resurrected for the second album, which is currently being mixed.

the live versions from the recent gigs sounded lovely.

Rev

Quote from: "phes"Yeah, it was released as a b-side to Street Spirit
Think that may have been an acoustic version???
The song was originaly a group affair, and rocked!

The acoustic version was on the b-side of 'Pop is Dead'.  There is a full band studio version knocking around, so that'll probably be the one on 'Street Spirit'.

Dirty Boy

Quote from: "boki"

Oh, oh, I've got one!  'Push' by The Wildhearts - it's an unreleased bootleg from the 'Endless Nameless' sessions and I can only guess that it was considered too uplifting to go on that album.  It's certainly interesting from the point of view that you can definitely hear the genesis of Grand Theft Audio (the band subsequently formed by drummer Rich Battersby and producer Ralph Jezzard) there, but it's a stronger song than anything on the GTA album IMO.

What bootleg is this on then and come to think of it where's the best place to pick up rare wildhearts gubbins?

boki

A few years ago a chap on the Yahoo mailing list compiled a CDR of the best stuff from the bootlegs he'd accumulated, which was distributed at cost (and with Ginger' s blessing, I believe).   I'll do you a copy of that.  It's mostly live stuff as there's not much in the way of unreleased songs about (just 'Push' and really early stuff from before Gigner assumed vocal duties IIRC).  Oh, and if I find whichever random unmarked CD I've hopefully burned 'Silvery' onto, then I'll squash that on there...

Lumiere

Last Breath by Hatebreed. I bought the album after hearing it live at ozzfest, and instead of the frantic, two and half minute of thrash, it's a 5 minute grinding waste of time.

Marty McFly

anybody remember the dum dums? their intention was to be a catchy poppy punky three-piece, a bit like the jam and so on.. sadly their record company saw them as a proto-busted, and after a couple of misunderstood years the band split up. anyway they put on some brilliant gigs, and also before they split recorded 19 new demos with a much more varied sound. anybody who's into yer alternative rock should have a listen to these..

http://www.dumdums.com/audio/menu.htm

-Mark