Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:19:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Murdered woman's family blame the Internet for her death

Started by weirdbeard, February 05, 2004, 04:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

Just use a proxy server that's outside Oz & problem solved. Typical incompetent governmental attempt at control. There's a famous Internet quote (I can't remember by whom):

"The Internet interprets censorship as damage, and routes around it".

Exxxcellent :-)

Rats

Quote from: "Concerned But Powerless"I wonder if he might of killed women before this if he had been denied access to his horrendous fetish on the internet?

Yeah, I was thinking that. I'm sure he would have been placated at first, but it could only reinforce his fantasies and make the urge stronger.

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Pinball"
"The Internet interprets censorship as damage, and routes around it".

Whenever I use a proxy server on here now, as it's connecting, I'm going to get a mental image of Arnie in T2 after he's had the pole skewered through him -  routing power around it and determinedly yanking the pole out to rousing music, before going off to stalk the T1000 again.

Incredible Monkey Doctor

On the plus side, that headline is the funniest thing i've ever read - I saw it in the shop just now and wondered if Morris had taken over for the day.

Also beautiful hypocrisy on the top half of the cover - in one corner, John Hurts "Lapdance "Shame" whilst the top half of the page is devoted to Jordan snogging.

How do these people live with themselves? It has to be so embarrasing.

weirdbeard

Quote from: "Incredible Monkey Doctor"On the plus side, that headline is the funniest thing i've ever read - I saw it in the shop just now and wondered if Morris had taken over for the day.

You mustn't have seen the headline 'DRINK MY JESUS JUICE'  that was splashed on the front page of The Sun last week then.  Although 'KILLED BY THE INTERNET' is quite good.  Don't know if those beat 'IS THIS THE END OF THE WORLD?', which was on the front page of the Daily Star on the 12th September 2001, though.

Kingboy_D

Quote from: "weirdbeard"
Quote from: "Incredible Monkey Doctor"On the plus side, that headline is the funniest thing i've ever read - I saw it in the shop just now and wondered if Morris had taken over for the day.

You mustn't have seen the headline 'DRINK MY JESUS JUICE'  that was splashed on the front page of The Sun last week then.  Although 'KILLED BY THE INTERNET' is quite good.  Don't know if those beat 'IS THIS THE END OF THE WORLD?', which was on the front page of the Daily Star on the 12th September 2001, though.

I've got all three of them! My boss had DRINK MY JESUS JUICE on my his desk, I clocked it and erupted into laughter before asking if I could have it when he was finished. He called me a 'sick bastard'.

Capuchin

Quote from: "Rats"
Quote from: "Concerned But Powerless"I wonder if he might of killed women before this if he had been denied access to his horrendous fetish on the internet?

Yeah, I was thinking that. I'm sure he would have been placated at first, but it could only reinforce his fantasies and make the urge stronger.

According to the bastion of journalism that is "The Metro", his ex-partner said he got into the whole autoasphyxia thing with her and told her that one day he feared he'd he'd rape, strangle and kill someone, or had the urge to or something. The article said that she said he told her this in the mid 80s.
Obviously it was the internet that killed her.

And the fucking Metro article still led with the Internet Killed Lady Shock headline, despite the info they had.
GGAHH.

butnut

Quote from: "Capuchin"And the fucking Metro article still led with the Internet Killed Lady Shock headline, despite the info they had.
GGAHH.

That's what really pisses me off about newspapers. The Metro and the London Standard do it a lot (and all the tabloids too). They print some big bastard headline saying "You're All Going To Die Tomorrow". But what pisses me off more than that is the news-stands that have it printed in large, unfriendly letters.

The reasons' obvious - they know we're not really going to die tomorrow, but they also know that anyone walking past and sees a headline like that is 10000% more likely to buy a paper than if it says "Everything's fine today".

I suppose it's all to do with what The Plaque Goblin wrote about here

weirdbeard

Quote from: "butnut"That's what really pisses me off about newspapers. The Metro and the London Standard do it a lot (and all the tabloids too). They print some big bastard headline saying "You're All Going To Die Tomorrow". But what pisses me off more than that is the news-stands that have it printed in large, unfriendly letters.

The worst for that is the Daily Express.  They seem to get off on printing big fuck off doom and gloom messages on the front page.  And it always seems to be more pessimistic than the other papers.

Rats

Yeah, they want to sell papers and sensationalise everything and I agree that this bloke would have done what he did without having access to the internet but I still think there is a point to be made that because Autoasphyxiation is a part of the SM culture (which I have no problem with) and mocked pictures are available from pay sites and such, to the lone nutter, it could make him think "there are others just like me, this is normal to want to strangle women with their tights". Obviously the internet didn't kill that wife and there's nothing that can be done about these sites and nothing SHOULD be done but it's still worth thinking about. A nutter is a nutter, I don't have any problem with any kind of roll playing and fantasy sex you want to get up to but I think it's stupid to say that him having the internet had absolutely no part in this at all. I realise that people are probably saying it had nothing at all to do with it because the media are making it out to be the only factor.
I dare say, with the jamie bulger case, the kids watching childs play did have a part in all of that, (the kid was killed in the same way as someone was killed in the movie) but because it was blown out of all proportion, people dismissed it as knee-jerk idiocy. You know what I mean?

Capuchin

Quote from: "Rats"Yeah, they want to sell papers and sensationalise everything and I agree that this bloke would have done what he did without having access to the internet but I still think there is a point to be made that because Autoasphyxiation is a part of the SM culture (which I have no problem with) and mocked pictures are available from pay sites and such, to the lone nutter, it could make him think "there are others just like me, this is normal to want to strangle women with their tights". Obviously the internet didn't kill that wife and there's nothing that can be done about these sites and nothing SHOULD be done but it's still worth thinking about. A nutter is a nutter, I don't have any problem with any kind of roll playing and fantasy sex you want to get up to but I think it's stupid to say that him having the internet had absolutely no part in this at all. I realise that people are probably saying it had nothing at all to do with it because the media are making it out to be the only factor.
I dare say, with the jamie bulger case, the kids watching childs play did have a part in all of that, (the kid was killed in the same way as someone was killed in the movie) but because it was blown out of all proportion, people dismissed it as knee-jerk idiocy. You know what I mean?

Not exactly. Are you saying that in the Bulger case they decided to kill the kid because of the film, or decided how to kill him because of it?

The access to SM sites and stuff undoubtedly had an effect on the nutter in question, but did it postpone him from killing sooner because he had another outlet or did it hasten him into living out his fantasies? It's hard to say, without analysing the guy.
But the point is that he had the idea in him before the internet existed, and I think it's likely the kids that killed Jamie Bulger had the idea of kidnapping and killing someone independent of watching Childs Play, though they may have got the idea of how to do it from watching it.

twatloops

The Mails at it today with some new, all-conquering "close down the interweb" campaign.  Fuck my old boots...

daveytaylor

Quote from: "twatloops"The Mails at it today with some new, all-conquering "close down the interweb" campaign.  Fuck my old boots...

Have they also put the story on their website and completely failed to see the irony of their actions?

imitationleather

Does it say, "Don't let your children surf the information superhighway to Hell!" at any point?

Rats

Yes I agree with all that Capuchin. I'm just saying that something shouldn't be dismissed completely just because someone blows it out of all proportion. It may have only contributed 1% to what happened but you know.

I don't understand this, the daily mails site still seems to be up http://www.dailymail.co.uk/

Pinball

Sand is to blame. Without it silicon chips couldn't be made, and there wouldn't be the paedo-net. Also water is at fault. Without water sand wouldn't be formed, not to mention bastard human life.

Honestly, a man killed the women, not the Net. Ignorant fuckers to make that accusation.

Capuchin

Quote from: "Rats"Yes I agree with all that Capuchin. I'm just saying that something shouldn't be dismissed completely just because someone blows it out of all proportion. It may have only contributed 1% to what happened but you know.

I don't understand this, the daily mails site still seems to be up http://www.dailymail.co.uk/

Yeah, I think I get you, but you can't really break down human behaviour into percentage points can you? The problem is that we don't know how the internet affected him. It did, and I don't think anyone can deny it.
But we don't know how, without analysing him, and despite this the meeja seems intent on not only knowing how but saying we need to Stop This Foul Menace.

Wait, why am I surprised? Duh!
I guess they're only in it to sell papers, eh? "Man kills and is in prison so you're safe" isn't as effective as "there is a killer in your room and it's called the NET!!!11!".
Still I guess I hold on to these crazy ideals like reporters trying to be impartial and politicians working for the good of their constituents...

Rats

The sad thing is, you can tell Trevor Mcdonald believes all the shite he reads out.

Capuchin

Quote from: "Rats"The sad thing is, you can tell Trevor Mcdonald believes all the shite he reads out.

Only because he won't come off the smack.

king mob

Theres a wonderfully overblown lead item on ITV news right now thats featured the line "we searched a large area of the internet & found 1000's of pictures" & other such lines designed to infer panic in the dim.

This panic looks like its here for a while so we'll have to cope with more & more rubbish being spouted by sections of the media in an attempt to make news instead of reporting actual events.

Mind you i am watching ITV news with a hangover & they've got Kerry McFadden giving a interview next :(

Still Not George

Quote from: "king mob"Theres a wonderfully overblown lead item on ITV news right now thats featured the line "we searched a large area of the internet & found 1000's of pictures" & other such lines designed to infer panic in the dim.

Is that a genuine quote? That's almost as good as paedos using an area of the internet the size of Wales...

Krang

I only use this part of the internet, i cant afford the travel costs to the other areas.

I guess the internet could be partly to blame in this case, but then again its the only factor, and people are more than likly blowing out of proportion.

Pinball

The only answer is for a police officer to be placed in every web-enabled home to look over the shoulder of surfers. Whenever naughty content is accessed, the offender gets hit on't head wit' truncheon.

king mob

Quote from: "Still Not George"
Quote from: "king mob"Theres a wonderfully overblown lead item on ITV news right now thats featured the line "we searched a large area of the internet & found 1000's of pictures" & other such lines designed to infer panic in the dim.

Is that a genuine quote? That's almost as good as paedos using an area of the internet the size of Wales...

Thats how i heard it, they also had someone on from Barnados who was trying to be sane and sensible but was being prodded to say "the internet & 3G mobiles are EVIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL", but didn't.