Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:00:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Shooting Stars' to return for Christmas special

Started by goldfish, July 16, 2008, 09:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godzilla Bankrolls

Isn't it more that he tries to 'join in' a bit too much?

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 09, 2009, 12:43:51 PM
What's weird is Danny baker is in the pilot, yet when he appears in series 1 he completely fails to 'get' the show and makes a big tit of himself.

Yeah, I managed to get hold of Series 1 the other day and watched that Danny Baker episode.  He is a bit embarrassing in that, I must admit.  Very odd.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on January 09, 2009, 01:44:43 PM
Yeah, I managed to get hold of Series 1 the other day and watched that Danny Baker episode.  He is a bit embarrassing in that, I must admit.  Very odd.

I don't remember that. As biggy says, it's a bit weird, since he was fine on the pilot (which I re-watched quite recently).

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on January 09, 2009, 12:58:45 PMIsn't it more that he tries to 'join in' a bit too much?

That's always a bad idea on Shooting Stars. If that's the case, then Baker should've known better.

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on January 09, 2009, 12:58:45 PM
Isn't it more that he tries to 'join in' a bit too much?

Yes, I'd say that pretty much sums it up.  He tries and just repeatedly dies on his arse.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Yeah, it's much better when the guests appear clueless. In the Dessau book, Simon Day says that R&M would freeze up if you tried to join in with their style, even on the tourbus. Shame they don't have the same attitude towards Noel Fielding.

the pilot's on youtube. or it was a couple of days ago when i was watching it.

as for embarrassing over the top joining in, i see your danny baker and raise you a les dennis constantly shouting 'minge' and 'shreddies' on 'unviewed and nude.' vic and bob show a lot of restraint in trying to be polite and humour him throughout.

eluc55

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on January 09, 2009, 02:26:42 PM
Yeah, it's much better when the guests appear clueless. In the Dessau book, Simon Day says that R&M would freeze up if you tried to join in with their style, even on the tourbus. Shame they don't have the same attitude towards Noel Fielding.

Isn't the official story that they first met when Bob jumped on stage with Vic while he was still an unknown. I bet that was a bundle of laughs if the two clam up when someone joins in.

imitationleather

Quote from: evil_lafayette on January 09, 2009, 02:59:56 PM
as for embarrassing over the top joining in, i see your danny baker and raise you a les dennis constantly shouting 'minge' and 'shreddies' on 'unviewed and nude.' vic and bob show a lot of restraint in trying to be polite and humour him throughout.

How about the episode with Cannon and Ball? They're both trying their hardest to make it clear that they're in on the joke and get it when they most probably don't. If you asked Cannon and Ball what they thought of Vic and Bob they'd probably say that they hated them. I'm sure I've seen them on some documentary looking like sad past-it losers and moaning about alternative comedians not being funny.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Really? Because they had Rik Mayall as a guest on their show once.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9dYfRt1Tbzo

radlord

Quote from: evil_lafayette on January 09, 2009, 02:59:56 PM
the pilot's on youtube. or it was a couple of days ago when i was watching it.

Sorry for the megabump, and I'm sorry I've not posted since I registered since 2004. i've been busy you see.

Anyway, this Les Dennis on Unviewed and Nude. This was I agree embarrassing, with him being 'random' shouting 'Shreddies!' out at every possible point. I remember Bob basically going for the jugular a little on the original VHS by saying 'he's very quick!' after Les's 245th 'shreddies!'

Only I cannot find this moment at all. It's uploaded in a few places and every one I've watched has a jarring edit just before where I remember him saying it.

https://youtu.be/XYsiw03TvFc?t=2640

My questions:

1. Does anyone else remember Bob saying this, and, crucially can they find me a clip of it?

2. Did the original VHS release have this hard cut point?

the

Quote from: radlord on April 17, 2019, 01:50:49 PMAnyway, this Les Dennis on Unviewed and Nude. This was I agree embarrassing, with him being 'random' shouting 'Shreddies!' out at every possible point. I remember Bob basically going for the jugular a little on the original VHS by saying 'he's very quick!' after Les's 245th 'shreddies!'

Only I cannot find this moment at all. It's uploaded in a few places and every one I've watched has a jarring edit just before where I remember him saying it.

https://youtu.be/XYsiw03TvFc?t=2640

My questions:

1. Does anyone else remember Bob saying this, and, crucially can they find me a clip of it?

2. Did the original VHS release have this hard cut point?

It's been donkeys years since I watched the VHS. I don't recall there being a dodgy edit like that in it, but that's not a guarantee. Seems more likely that that's a fault in the YT copy though.

I also remember Les was being quite tedious in repeating the line about 'Vic's minge'.

Vic, Bob and Les obviously struck up enough of a rapport for Les to later appear as a guest in The Club though. He played that straight and was pretty decent. His reaction to someone being called Kinky John was good.