Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:56:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Shooting Stars' to return for Christmas special

Started by goldfish, July 16, 2008, 09:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

edit.

Don_Preston

Were the subliminal cuts of Mark Lamarr dressed as Rolf Harris a recurring theme or just a one off? Used to love the running joke of Lamarr's female fanbase/groupies they'd play, which I think was from series 2.

Artemis

Shooting Stars was just a little bit before the time I properly started watching things on television, but I've since seem loads of them and really love it. Like others have said though, if they get people like David Mitchell and Rob Brydon, it'll be incredibly mis-judged.

George Oscar Bluth II

My favourite Shooting Stars bit:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBPbXtcz65s[/youtube]

I remember the original series' of it, vaguely, watching it in what I think of as the Simpsons slot on BBC2, about 6pm. I'd have been about 8 or 9. Or am I completely making this up?

biggytitbo

I can't find my favourite bit, which is John Peel in a pram, but this is great too - Mark Lamarr versus mammals. Lamarr looks like he really hurts himself at the end too.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olAsDB_SRII&feature=related[/youtube]

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: Don_Preston on July 18, 2008, 07:13:27 PM
Were the subliminal cuts of Mark Lamarr dressed as Rolf Harris a recurring theme or just a one off?

The only one I remember (apart from the Animal Hospital sketch) was when they actually had Rolf on. He did some of his characteristic rhythmic breathing, and Bob asked if it was asthma. Cut to Lamarr, dressed up as a denim-clad Rolf in the same seat, retorting "Scares the hell outta my mother, mate".

(nb quote may not be entirely accurate)

Morrisfan82

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on July 19, 2008, 01:01:01 PM
I remember the original series' of it, vaguely, watching it in what I think of as the Simpsons slot on BBC2, about 6pm. I'd have been about 8 or 9. Or am I completely making this up?

Hmm, I can't remember if they repeated it in a teatime slot, but they definitely used to repeat it on Sundays at about midday.

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on July 22, 2008, 09:21:12 AM
The only one I remember (apart from the Animal Hospital sketch) was when they actually had Rolf on. He did some of his characteristic rhythmic breathing, and Bob asked if it was asthma. Cut to Lamarr, dressed up as a denim-clad Rolf in the same seat, retorting "Scares the hell outta my mother, mate".

(nb quote may not be entirely accurate)

Wasn't it "Frightened the life out of me mum and dad", like in Rolf's seventies public information film about learning to swim?

There were a few other cutaways like that, I remember one with Lamarr dressed as a clown/Pierot type character.

Series 3 was the pinnacle of Shooting Stars for me, it was a really tight series (about 8 episodes I think, as opposed to the three-VHS-tape monster that was series 2), and the silliness was self-explanatory by that point so it had a really good rhythm to it.

ThickAndCreamy

This is on the 30th of December for anyone interested.

Also, these are the guests (only from wikipedia though, I can find no other sources): Kate Garraway, Peter Jones, Dizzee Rascal and Christine Walkden.

Christine Walkden should be quite a wonderful guest if all goes to plan.

biggytitbo

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on December 17, 2008, 07:30:07 PM
This is on the 30th of December for anyone interested.

Also, these are the guests (only from wikipedia though, I can find no other sources): Kate Garraway, Peter Jones, Dizzee Rascal and Christine Walkden.

Christine Walkden should be quite a wonderful guest if all goes to plan.

WHo are the team captains?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

biggytitbo

Shame they couldn't coax Mark Lamarr out of his self imposed TV exile.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 17, 2008, 07:50:25 PM

What's the story there? Did Lamarr just decide that he couldn't be arsed anymore? I suppose he's happier just playing old Trojan reggae records at 1am on Radio 2 now.

And didn't he once say that he left SS because he thought it had lost its lustre?

Well if we're just posting clips..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXEk3deCOm0

Glad they're doing something again, finally. Maybe if this goes well the BBC will finally relent on Secret Garden?

poodlefaker

The first series with Will Self (4th overall?) was woeful - there was the section with the wonderful car which farted out questions, and a regular slot from Nancy Sorrell, which was cut from each episode, but she still appeared to join in the dancing at the end, rather mystifyingly.

However, the final series (With Donald Cox) was back on form

Jemble Fred

[truth serum]I dunno, I spent too much time simultaneously hating and wishing I was Rhys Thomas whenever Donald was on.[/truth serum]

Shame there's no Self this time, and all the guests are shit, but it's still top of the list for Xmas watching for me.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 17, 2008, 07:50:25 PM

Nnngg, no. He didn't do anything worthwhile on TV for almost a decade before he swore off it (also, he would often act the prick). On the other hand, his Radio 2 shows are routinely fantastic.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on December 18, 2008, 09:12:25 AM
Nnngg, no. He didn't do anything worthwhile on TV for almost a decade before he swore off it (also, he would often act the prick). On the other hand, his Radio 2 shows are routinely fantastic.

He was great in Buzzcocks until the final few series when his genuine contempt and boredom for the show started to creep in.  He was funny on Shooting Stars for what he did and watching Lamarrs Attacks again recently it's miles better than I remember it at the time (Although that might be due to Sean Locks involvement)

Godzilla Bankrolls

I rewatched the Lamarrs Attacks about the EU a couple of years back, and it was fucking lazy shite. A real waste of an interesting format.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Godzilla Bankrolls on December 18, 2008, 12:59:32 PM
I rewatched the Lamarrs Attacks about the EU a couple of years back, and it was fucking lazy shite. A real waste of an interesting format.

I liked them all but they had Sean Lock's standup written all over them, even down to the rhythm and intonation. If it was him performing the exact same material it would have worked a lot better.

What about that Lamarr sketch show that was on at some point in the past? Seem to remember that being pretty good, but it seems to have been completely forgotten about.

Ja'moke

That confirms the guests that were posted earlier.

ThickAndCreamy

I am really looking forward to this inevitable disappointment.

Jemble Fred

It seems crazy that they would get the gang back together, redesign the set so apparently gorgeously, and still be shilly-shallying about another series. It seems odd that SS should have so fallen out of favour as our celebrity culture gets ever more vapid and overblown – it's a guest-booker's dream, seeing as it rarely matters who's on. Somehow R&M being amidst it all makes the real state of TV more bearable. I even miss 29 Minutes of Fame.

wheatgod

Peter Jones is tall.

Whats going on to Dizzee's left?

Whos the penguin, and the biffer to his left?

TotalNightmare

All i know is that i'm weridly excited to be watching new Shooting Stars!

That picture put my cockles inside a nice comfy humid space. The 'quality' of the guests has never been a worry for me, i mean, who'd imagine that Gordon Burns would've made such a good contestant? Also, (my favourite episodes) "Ladies Night" was both the funniest, disturbing and most down right car-crashedness episode to date. Lynn Perry (was it? off Corry, got all fat lipped and died?) was a monster on the loose - seeing Charlie Higson's genuine terror as he had to perform a sexy dance for her was just brilliant.

EDIT TO ADD: [youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bjlV__MFBek[/youtube] ...ignore the stupid fucking mistake in the middle of this clip - which in itself doesn't really get across my love for this episode.

It's made me deeply want a complete box set of every SS episode ever... even that pilot!

I've been devouring clips on YouTube, out of context moments and sketches, that leave a stupid dumb smile slapped all over my face like a whore applying make-up with a shot gun.

Dear BBC - give us all the SS you have - and i mean Shooting Stars and not S.S. troopers like John Snow.

imitationleather

The new set looks absolutely lush.

I agree that it'd be an horrendous waste to only use it for one episode.

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for this...

biggytitbo

The suspicion is the magic is gone and this will be awful isnt it? R and Ms recent work doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 19, 2008, 08:13:44 AM
The suspicion is the magic is gone and this will be awful isnt it?

Don't ask us, it's your personal suspicion. I wouldn't damn new SS on the strength of one (occasionally sublime) radio project involving Noel Fielding.

poodlefaker

Vic appears to be growing into Evelyn Waugh in his middle age. I thought the radio series was pretty good. Does anyone know where it can be heard again?

Melody Lee

Here's one of the promos currently playing on the telly...

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CB7Q5lubTyA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">