Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Shooting Stars' to return for Christmas special

Started by goldfish, July 16, 2008, 09:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

I saw that last night, the tone and atmosphere just seems all wrong to me for some reason.

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 19, 2008, 10:49:14 AM
I saw that last night, the tone and atmosphere just seems all wrong to me for some reason.
What? I don't understand, it's just a short promo with no actual comedy or jokes in it and therefore it's tone and atmosphere will be absolutely nothing like the real programs.

_Hypnotoad_

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 18, 2008, 08:36:17 PM

That confirms the guests that were posted earlier.

Oh god, please don't let it be shit. The guests are awful, but then you see Vic and Boc in the heart of the SS set once more and have faith it will be great. I went to see this and the Fast Show at the Apollo years ago, and SS was by far the best part of the evening.

I believe the thing on the far right is the gardening expert off The One Show, which always struck me as interminably cruel by the producers to put her on the sofa next to Christine Bleakley

Jemble Fred

Quote from: _Hypnotoad_ on December 19, 2008, 11:03:53 AM
I went to see this and the Fast Show at the Apollo years ago, and SS was by far the best part of the evening.

Oh God I saw the SS tour in Wolverhampton back in 95 or whenever it was, and it was the most pitilessly appalling live comedy show I've ever seen. Supported by Stars In Their Eyes turns, guests were local black country DJs I'd never heard of.. It was actually disgusting. The best bit was Lamarr's warm-up.

Also, I attended the recording of the series 5 (?) Larry Hagman show, and it was the most dispiriting comedy recording I'd ever attended. Vic and Bob ignored the audience throughout, were clearly going through the motions, and it damn near broke my heart.

And yet I can't ever stop myself from giving them both fresh chances, time and again. They're Vic and Bob. They've earned that level of Polyannaism, and my life wouldn't have been the same without them.

no_offenc

The new set looks lovely, though I'm not a fan of the typeface they're using for contestant names.  Very difficult to read.  Ahem.  Anyway hopefully this won't be shite.  I'm keeping my expectations a bit low so then I can be pleasantly surprised when it's good.

I do wonder how George Dawes will play out now that Matt Lucas is a BIG STAR.  Will the crowd go mental for him?  More than they used to, I mean?

dr beat

Table Top Joe

Being rich makes you tall, why do you think rich people all have big houses?

23 Daves

They were on The One Show earlier today, and they promised Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley that when the new series gets made, they'll be some of the first guests on it.  Not if, but when. 

So then, in the words of Alan Partridge... if this Christmas Special goes well, perhaps they'll get another series.

ThickAndCreamy

I really, really hope this is actually funny and gets high ratings, hopefully raising the absurdity to a very high level at the same time. If the BBC constantly mention Matt Lucas is in it during advertisements I'm sure they'll get another million more viewers as well as Dizzee Rascal for the yoof audience.

Edit: I don't mean literally just Dizzee Rascal watching it representing the yoof audience, that would be absurd.

wheatgod

Its perfectly scheduled - day before New Years Eve, no one will be going out, everyone staying in, everyone watching it, everyone talking about it the next night.

Hopefully its not shite.

weirdbeard

Vic and Bob are interviewed in the Christmas Radio Times and virtually beg the BBC to give them another series.

ThickAndCreamy

As well as the Shooting Stars episode* on the 30th the BBC also have an hour long special Shooting Stars - The Inside Story. It's a documentary about the show and its history including guests such as Paul Whitehouse, Michael Winner and *gulp* Noel fucking Fielding. It will probably be average at best and akin to those awful nostalgic top 50 style programs, but focused on one show.

With two programs and an hour and a half dedicated to Shooting Stars, I really think they will get a new series. Just, please, please be funny.

*There are some new clips of the show on youtube, I personally don't want to watch them though as it will spoil the episode. They do look extremely funny however.

neveragain

I could only find one new clip from this special on YouTube when I had a look this afternoon.  The one I saw featured a song by George Dawes which WAS, reassuringly, pretty damn funny I thought.

(It's underneath this here spoiler).

Spoiler alert

biggytitbo

That was very good! Interesting that they're focusing on Matt Lucas though.

ThickAndCreamy

Well he is by far the biggest comedian popularity wise in the UK in comparison to Reeves and Mortimer. He will also hopefully bring more of the younger under 24 age group to watch the show as they would of been less likely to see it's first run. To those that have seen it before and are most likely older will know what to expect and therefore don't need to be focused on so much in the advertising, just new potential viewers.

spanky

The George Dawes songs tended to be highlights even before Little Britain too.

keir

Quote from: spanky on December 21, 2008, 11:36:43 PM
The George Dawes songs tended to be highlights even before Little Britain too.

And Marjorie's too - I fondly remember her No Scrubs.

no_offenc

I'm totally disappointed that Lucas didn't crack up totally and corpse his way through the entire song.  Aaah well.  I did do a laugh at it regardless.  Looking forward to this more now.

eluc55

Lovely clip that, really funny and reminds you how good Lucas can be...

Oh God, Please let this be good; between this, the Serofinowitz special and The Royle Family, the best comedy of the year might be over the next few days.

Neil

Quote from: weirdbeard on December 20, 2008, 01:34:40 AM
Vic and Bob are interviewed in the Christmas Radio Times and virtually beg the BBC to give them another series.

Of...Shooting Stars?  The show they were supposedly always 'forced' to do more of?  Never quite rang true with me, that, to be honest. 

(Is that Skin out of Skunk Anansie?  Fucking hell.)

EDIT:  No, reading back through the thread I can see it's actually Dizzee Rascal.  Oh, good! grumble grumble.

weirdbeard

Will there be more than just the Christmas special? A new series?
Bob: We'd love there to be.  Then again, I'd love to get back in the studio with Vic and do something like Vic Reeves Big Night Out [their 90s cabaret show].
Vic: I'd be very happy to do a series.  Maybe the BBC would like to give us a really long series...

jakethunder

What's that "Jet 1000" from above behind Vic and Bob?

23 Daves

Quote from: Neil on December 22, 2008, 02:24:38 PM
Of...Shooting Stars?  The show they were supposedly always 'forced' to do more of?  Never quite rang true with me, that, to be honest. 

Well it may have been true once, but perhaps they're too skint and underexposed to be picky about things now...

Tokyo Sexwhale

Vic and Bob seemed very keen on doing another series, when they were interviewed on Radio 5 yesterday  - it will probably depend on how well the Christmas special does.

Fishboxen

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on December 23, 2008, 02:36:56 PM
Vic and Bob seemed very keen on doing another series, when they were interviewed on Radio 5 yesterday  - it will probably depend on how well the Christmas special does.

I think I'm agreed.. this special absolutely MUST be good, as I'd love to see a new series.

ThickAndCreamy

EVERYBODY*, this is on tonight! Special on the old Shooting Stars 9pm, New Shooting Stars at 10pm. I recommend you all to watch it.

*I am shouting by the way.

Jemble Fred

It's probably not a good idea to regress to a fifteen-year-old right about now, is it? Dampened expectations and all that.

Oh shit; too late.

ThickAndCreamy

I was reading an article and Matt Lucas had been basically begging the BBC for a new series, and constantly heaping praise on Reeves and Mortimer. Also Vic moaned about swearing on television as lazy and said Frankie Boyle belonged in a working mans club.