Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:32:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

It's that time of night again....

Started by Cerys, February 05, 2004, 05:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

You may know the one I mean.  The point at which you remember you're supposed to be doing something in the morning, and find yourself locked in a furious circular conversation with your own brain - what to do?  Got to bed now, knowing that you won't sleep for ages anyway, and will probably eventually drop off an hour before the shops open, and wake up late, groggy and irritable?  Or push on through, and risk being arrested in the bank when the cashier notices your mad, staring, bloodshot, sleep-deprived eyes?  And of course, there's always the intention of pushing through, which goes horriby wrong when you fall asleep accidentally and end up drooling into the keyboard.  It's easy to say, 'only three and a half hours - I can do it' ... oh, yes.  But then things start going wibbly when you're in the Post Office, and you suddenly find yourself unable to sign your own name.  If, indeed, you can remember it....

Or is that just me?

Edit - should have posted this in the Dilemma thread ... you see?  It's already started.  I blame society.

Qatar-wol

I blame the time-sucking qualities of the internet.  I came into work this morning, meaning to get some useful stuff out of the way, and I've done maffi.  Nothing.  Bupkiss.  I hate myself for being so crap, but even as it's happening, and I know it, I can't stop.

I'm going to do some work now.  Oh yes.

grindyourmind

I've just decided to push on through now.  I'm going to lose out either way but I cant be bothered with the horrible waking up process for the sake of a few hours unrefreshing sleep.

grindyourmind

blue jammer

I'm just counting down the hours, it's may 'daytime' currently, as I work nights, so 8am, I'll be off home to wait up and phone my bank, shouting abuse at them, then phoning a company that is going to fit central heating to finalise some details, then it'll be snooze time.

Does anyone else who works nights find it odd that instead of staying up for hours before sleeping, you tend to come home and go pretty much straight to bed...?

Cerys

When I actually did work nights, it depended.  In summer, I'd stay up for ages after I got home, because daylight would wake me up.  If I wasn't working the following night, I'd usually push right through and eventually make it to bed after about thirty hours of being awake.  Today I have to go to the Post Office to get cash, the bank to deposit cash, and the supermarket to spend cash.  All with the help of SNG, who's currently sleeping like a baby.  Git.  I probably won't snooze until gone midday, unless I just don't bother.

Papercut

Quote from: "Cerys"Or is that just me?.
It happens to me a lot. Once I've hit 4am I know its going to be trouble either way.

As you can see from the time of this post, I've decided to push through this time round.

My alarm clock has just gone off too.

Cerys

Whereas I've just decided to fall over in the general direction of my duvet.  I suspect I'll be setting the alarm for nine, just to be on the safe side.  Grogginess be damned.

Edit at 08:01 ... still awake.  Argh.

Krang

Ive kind of fancied working nights.

blue jammer what work do you do? and do you get alot of time to go on CaB at work?

if yes, put a good word in for me.

blue jammer

I work in call centre hell, and unofficially have net access (a firewall password found in an open diary)

You really wouldn't want to do the job I do, it's easy, money is average, and it's also easy to get stuck in a rut (I've been here 5 years now) and the shifts, I work 4 on 4 off, 9pm - 8am, oh and I work with sexual harrisment, although not sure if thats a good or bad thing ;)

The only reason I'm still here is they are shifting (some time this year) our jobs to India, so I'm waiting to see if I get redundancy pay, then I'll fuck off with that and look for something decent.

If that hasn't put you off, it's call centre work coupled with data entry, so it's very very repetititve, the one good thing about it is, there's no stress to take home with you...