Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:11:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wedding Dance/Funeral March Songs

Started by alan nagsworth, August 04, 2008, 03:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

If you've already married/died*, what song did you choose as your poignant pinnacle? Similarly, what can you envision having played at these events in the future?

I'm always harkened back to my childhood where my friend said he'd like to be cremated with 'Burn Baby Burn' playing, and everyone would have to wear 'burn baby burn' slogan shirts and a clown stood atop the coffin doing a dance and chanting "ooh cha cha! ooh cha cha!" ... yeah. We were about 14 and now I'm starting to think a bit more seriously. But not too much. At my funeral I don't want some soppy bullshit that serenades me like some kind of hero, even though the whole event and everyone's thoughts are focused on me, I still think it's pretty big-headed to do that.

I can't think off the top of my head! The most apt example I can think of is John Peel's funeral, he had Teenage Kicks played. Always one of his "top tunes", it couldn't've been more fitting and at the same time it would have been a serious tear jerker. Emotional double whammy. As I said, I'm not expecting people to be too serious with this one, none of us are expecting to die any time soon except emo_bliss, so you can't be blamed for having a somewhat youthful perspective on this one. With that in mind, I think I would like to have Roots Manuva - Dreamy Days played at my funeral. A real tune about enjoying the follies of youth and falling in love and trying to find a compromise with your brain wanting to go in every direction yet wanting to settle down with this girl. Awesome tune and very much in the same vein as Teenage Kicks.

As for weddings, god almighty how can people hire those fucking DJs? As a hotel porter I see the same 2 resident DJs every damn week and it's all the same old shit. The bride & groom dance is always either Aerosmith's Don't Wowna Miss A Thayng or Savage Garden. I forget which but all their songs are friggin' attrocious. I know people like different things but you can't seriously tell me that everyone thinks this is the most poignant song to share a smoochy dance to? TWADDLE! This is a tricky one though... straight-up I would say Hallelujah (by Jeff Buckley *ducks glass bottles from Marvin and CaledonianGonzo*) because from what I can tell this is a song about compromise, isn't it? Finding joy in mutual dissatisfaction and all that? I might have interpreted it wrong, in which case the wedding's off! *Flounce!*

So, indulge me. :)

*I'm sorry to hear you're dead, next time you haunt your family give them my commiserations.

dr beat

I remember being told of a couple who chose 'The Bear Necessities' from the Jungle Book.  I believe on YouTube however there are numerous examples of 'comedy' wedding dances, which in mind is potentially as worse as the sloppy option.

CaledonianGonzo

Mine will both be from the same record - unsurprisingly, it's Exile On Main St.  Let It Loose for the nuptials and Shine A Light for the requiem. 

Interestingly, my spouse-to-be is very enthusiastic about the former, suggesting that either a) she's not listened to the lyrics or that b) she genuinely doesn't mind taking to the floor to the strains of a song that describes her as a gold-digging hussy.

The former could be a bit happy clappy, but all the references to the 'good lord' don't change the fact that a) it's about Brian Jones and b)

Well, you're drunk in the alley, baby
With your clothes all torn
And your late night friends
Leave you in the cold grey dawn

are, if not words to live by, then at least a pretty accurate summation of how things generally turn out...

SOTS

That's just a "wedding dance" thread though, DT. Nothing about funerals in there, therefore different.

boxofslice

If we're just doing funerals then for me it's got be Saturday Sun by Nick Drake.

Oh this is easy:

Wedding - Angels (Robbie Williams)

Funeral - Candle in the Wind (1997 Dead Diana remix, Elton John)

...or vice versa.

In seriousness I've never really thought about it. My boyfriend and I don't have 'a song,' and if we did it would probably be something from 'Little Shop of Horrors' and therefore not necessarily appropriate for a wedding (or a 'wedding'). My sister had I Can't Help Falling In Love With You as the first dance at her wedding. Sounds a bit cheesy, but the lyrics are so lovely and it was sung live by her best friend, which made it rather special. The DJ did indeed later go on to play Aerosmith and Jon Jon Jovi, though.

As for my funeral - well, it doesn't bear thinking about. I'm still hoping it never comes to that, but if somehow it does I guess my grieving family would choose something Beatle-related. As long as it's not Imagine I'll be fucking thrilled.

Derek Trucks

Quote from: SOTS on August 04, 2008, 10:26:22 AM
That's just a "wedding dance" thread though, DT. Nothing about funerals in there, therefore different.

Oh I know that, but it's good to relive that thread as there's some very interesting choices.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: nagsworth on August 04, 2008, 03:48:20 AM
I'm always harkened back to my childhood where my friend said he'd like to be cremated with 'Burn Baby Burn' playing, and everyone would have to wear 'burn baby burn' slogan shirts and a clown stood atop the coffin doing a dance and chanting "ooh cha cha! ooh cha cha!" ... yeah.

Although he didn't go quite that far, one friend of a friend specified that Light My Fire should be played as his coffin disappeared from view to be cremated... but he had only told those who needed to know. His service, hardly unsurprisingly was a tearful affair, but the unexpected choice of song cracked just about everyone up, the mood lifted and his wake was a rather joyful occasion... which was exactly his intention with the choice of music.

simondykes

At my funeral I want 'Music Non-Stop' by Kraftwerk playing - but specifically,the live version from 'Minimum-Maximum'.Though I have dallied with the idea of having 'Shot By Both Sides' by Magazine played,just so people say,"Dah!Who does he think he is?"

fEDORA

One crematorium choice for me:

Untitled 8 - Sigur Ros

Not only will their not be a dry eye in the house, nightmares will be guaranteed for weeks to come

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sJJNClTgVw&feature=related[/youtube]

DJ One Record

Jah Wobble & The Invaders Of The Heart - "Funeral March"

For both events.