Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:51:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Hosegate's Bummest Nodes"

Started by Neil, August 04, 2008, 09:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

As promised a couple of updates ago, I've typed up the limited edition Nathan Barley map that was sent out along with the press release.  Thank you very much to the kind chap who passed one my way back in 2005!  Sadly, I can't get it scanned or anything, so I've typed it all up, and will also attempt to stitch a load of photographs together.  Worth a go.  The map gives quite a lot of background details that I'm pretty sure weren't featured anywhere else, so it's worth a read.  Click the image below to go to the transcript.

rudi

Cheers Neil - curiosity sated. :)

Neil

Heh no probs, what did you think of it rudi?  I'd be interested to hear what fans of the show think too.

Lee

Well, it wasn't worth the wait, that's for sure. It basically reads like Morris-fan fiction. Which sums up Brooker quite nicely really.

eluc55

Quote from: Lee on August 04, 2008, 10:17:07 PM
Well, it wasn't worth the wait, that's for sure. It basically reads like Morris-fan fiction. Which sums up Brooker quite nicely really.

Yes, its a nice idea, dreadfully executed, isn't it? (although a bloody interesting thing to see - thanks for all the effort Neil, and whoever sent it to you). But all those street names are deeply embarrasing, and the descriptions aren't even a patch on the things Morris wrote for the Blue Jam Tragigrams website (that one for the Blue Jam release, whatever it was really called).

In any case, really want to thank you for transcribing it all, Neil. I'll have a more thorough look at it all tomorrow. Ta, sir.

rudi

Quote from: Neil on August 04, 2008, 09:44:06 PM
Heh no probs, what did you think of it rudi?  I'd be interested to hear what fans of the show think too.

It's odd really. It is easy to think that the reason the "humour" all seems so dated is because of the time since the series and our familiarity with it, especially on these pages (I do enjoy the use of Barley-esque terms on here; originally used in the series to lampoon a particular 'scene' then hijacked on here to lampoon the scene that produces such lampoonery; wheels within [BMX] wheels), but I still remember thinking how late on the uptake the whole thing was anyway.

I know I'm a victim of being on the bleeding edge of style and fashion - that's just how I'm livin' yeah? - but even at the time it was all at least three years too late, especially shocking considering how ahead of the curve TDT was.

I still want that map though.  :)

alan nagsworth

I really like it. Yes it tells us what we already know but I was quite fond of the show at the time (though I will admit I can't really sit through repeated viewings now, I bet you lot killed my enthusiasm for it you Morris hataz you) and I like how it's put together, especially the format of the map itself which looks really clean and crisp.

The only thing I could suggest that would make it more interesting would be to have used different images than the ones we're too familiar with, ones that are included in the DVD book and also as content on the DVD/Trashbat site. It's a bit overplayed and I definitely think they missed a trick with creativity there. If they were gonna go to the trouble to make this map, you'd think they'd make it toally unique, no? Those SugarApe covers and the pop-art Jones are totally over-used.

edit: To say thanks Neil, this is really interesting nonetheless and I'm very grateful for you uploading this and transcribing it.

Rexel Matador

I'm just reminded of how disappointing and deflating it all was.  I haven't really watched TV since.

Not to make light of all your hard work typing it out.  I probably shouldn't have bothered looking at it!

Lee

Yeah, reading that back I sounded like a right cock there. Cheers for transcribing it Neil, it's just a shame the material's not too good. Still better than that Lee/Crook clip though.

eluc55

Quote from: Lee on August 05, 2008, 02:18:32 PM
Yeah, reading that back I sounded like a right cock there. Cheers for transcribing it Neil, it's just a shame the material's not too good. Still better than that Lee/Crook clip though.

Haha, yeah, I was worried I came across as ungrateful too. I'm honestly not, I think its incredibly good of Neil to have transcribed it all like that. Big hugs, sir. And anything from Morris, even this kind of stuff, is facinating to a nerd like me.

Quote from: nagsworth on August 05, 2008, 09:12:40 AM
I really like it. Yes it tells us what we already know but I was quite fond of the show at the time (though I will admit I can't really sit through repeated viewings now, I bet you lot killed my enthusiasm for it you Morris hataz you) and I like how it's put together, especially the format of the map itself which looks really clean and crisp.

I agree that the idea of a map in that style is actually really good, and would have been a nice addition to the DVD... but again it raises questions about the immense hypocrisy of those posters from the show, which read something like ("if you're reading this, you're a pause stabbing nerd's cunt"; when all of his shows have been packed with detail, and conceptial touches like this.

Those posters, more than anything else, made me think that Morris had vanished up his own fundemant and make me wonder if he sneers like that at every fan who meets him.

I really hope not.   

Clint Hollow

Probably not, if you listen to how he answers questions at that Q+A thing from a while back he doesn't come across that way at all.

Also because its a joke. From a TV show. And not real life.

Clint Hollow

Do you suppose Chris has woken up yet?

Blue Jam

Quote from: nagsworth on August 05, 2008, 09:12:40 AM
I like how it's put together, especially the format of the map itself which looks really clean and crisp.

More work by TDR?

Did "Place" with its recording studios and bar appear in the show itself?  I know "The Premises" very well- a real recording studio and bar in the 'Hosegate' area.

eluc55

Quote from: Clint Hollow on August 05, 2008, 03:29:40 PM
Probably not, if you listen to how he answers questions at that Q+A thing from a while back he doesn't come across that way at all.

Also because its a joke. From a TV show. And not real life.

Not sure if I've misunderstood this comment, but do you agree that it's either a hypocrital and cunty (but heartfelt) dig at people who look for extra details in his comedy OR a hollow, and therefore pointless, dig that he doesn't actually believe in.

Either way, tiny and inconsequential as the joke may be, it shows a real change in Morris' attitude since the glory days when he packed his shows with hundreds of superb little background extras, presumebly for people to see should they so desire.

Marvin

As a touch it reeked of Brooker though, it's worth remembering that Nathan Barley was a joint project.

Neil

Quote from: sick as a pike on August 06, 2008, 11:18:12 AM
Did "Place" with its recording studios and bar appear in the show itself?  I know "The Premises" very well- a real recording studio and bar in the 'Hosegate' area.

Yeah, it was in episode 3 I think...kicked off with a Morris-narrated computer animation thing, then they had all this "Doug Rocket"/Veryphonics stuff. 

Neil

Here's the Place animation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjVj7F7gCnA

I still don't get some most of the Barley references, in general.  I remember someone saying "The Bikes" were "Queenz Of Noize" though, and I vaguely know who they are now after they were on that abysmal Big Brother spin-off show. 

Quote from: Neil on August 06, 2008, 02:03:04 PM
Yeah, it was in episode 3 I think...kicked off with a Morris-narrated computer animation thing, then they had all this "Doug Rocket"/Veryphonics stuff. 
Ah right, thanks.  Reading it again* I see it's clearly meant to refer to Dave Stewart's club/studio/node "The Hospital."  But I do wonder if the name is taken from "The Premises."  The club based in the luggage shop is a reference to "Dream Bags and Jaguar Shoes" a real bar based in two adjoining shops with those names, and that's not far from The Premises.

*edit: and now having also watched that clip.

Neil

Just added a non-update thingy to the front page about tonight's radio extravaganza...

ugninfo

As we approach this critical juncture in the timeline, it is vital that conscious beings the planet wide appreciate the implications of the diverse predictions regarding this key date.

The literature on the subject is peppered with apocalyptic visions of doom, special-interest theological interpretations, and scholarly dissection, but this site aims to be something different.

We maintain one premise alone about the nature of the transformations humanity may confront between now and December 21, 2012: that the outcome of inevitable change can literally be anything we can collectively imagine.

What is your vision? A revolution in worldwide consciousness? Devastating wars, famine, plague and a new Dark Age? Renewal of ancient tribal ways? Or an exodus into the extraterrestrial?

Metaphysical reckoning between opposing cosmic forces? The arrival or return of a long-awaited savior? Or cybernetic enslavement of humanity by machine masters we are creating at this very instant?

If nothing else, the collective weight of all this speculation is bound to bring about some sort of transformation.

The goal of the Karma Alliance Light Institute is to provide an avenue for energetic exchange about the most pressing issue on the planet-how our species can best unite around collective responsibility for our future and that of the planet we inhabit.

Most importantly, this is a place to reflect on what it means to be alive at a time when destruction might well be on the horizon...and what we can do to avert the threat.

The validity of these prophecies will be tested soon enough. Our intention is to present the various viewpoints without drawing a conclusion about future events. Instead, we will focus on presenting the evidence, and leave the conclusions up to you.

Across the world, ordinary people and mystics alike are seized by epiphanies and cosmic revelations about 2012. The subject grips the imagination of artists, authors, and scientists as well as psychics. And there is certainly every reason to expect great transformations during this generation.

Ultimately, the future will be what we make it. Destructive and creative elements alike are accelerating and interacting at an ever-increasing rate, as new developments in technology shatter the cultural structures of millennia past and highlight the great need to place our age in a context that makes sense to us.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley