Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:58:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Reference books in terrorist alert shocker!

Started by Santa's Boyfriend, February 05, 2004, 08:09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa's Boyfriend

From "From the WIlderness":

QuoteOn December 29th the Associated Press reported:

"The FBI is warning police nationwide to be alert for people carrying almanacs, cautioning that the popular reference books covering everything from abbreviations to weather trends could be used for terrorist planning.

"In a bulletin sent Christmas Eve to about 18,000 police organizations, the FBI said terrorists may use almanacs "to assist with target selection and pre-operational planning.""It urged officers to watch during searches, traffic stops and other investigations for anyone carrying almanacs, especially if the books are annotated in suspicious ways."

WTF?!?

fanny splendid

Heh, daft bastards. You know who publishes the almanacs? The BBC. Yes, it's all their fault.

Did you see Geoff Hoon on breakfast TV this morning? Apparently, when TB made the forty-five minute claim ("he didn't place any great reliance on [the claim]"), the public weren't interested, and the comment was barely registered in the press. It wasn't until the BBC brought up the matter on The Today Program, that the public started to become interested.

Also, Osama Bin Laden pays just over nine pounds a month by direct debit, to renew his TV licence.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Also, Osama Bin Laden pays just over nine pounds a month by direct debit, to renew his TV licence.

Guess that means he's not working for the BBC then.  Nice to hear he approves of a great British institution though, even if he does want to kill everyone who watches it.

Pinball

Presumably Amazon provides the spooks with a cross-referenced database of what its customers are up to/buying. I wonder if searching for particular titles gets flagged? No doubt it's the same with search engines.

The government is so creative at fucking its people. Are we the enemy??

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: "Pinball"Presumably Amazon provides the spooks with a cross-referenced database of what its customers are up to/buying. I wonder if searching for particular titles gets flagged? No doubt it's the same with search engines.

The government is so creative at fucking its people. Are we the enemy??

You probably are if you're able to ask that question.

Timmay

Right, so that's almanacs, the internet and what else...

...schools and universities I guess. Yes, that's it. The entire educational system is also to blame for murder and terrorism. If the people weren't so damn educated, they wouldn't know how to work a PC, and therefore how to work the internet, which we know kills people, and can train you to be a terrorist.

Dusty Gozongas

Since there's a war on, and walls have ears, and we should all, no doubt, be digging for Victory, I suggest that Almanacs should place Easter in December and give the month of April three full moons and twelve bank holidays.

If anything it would be a cheaper option (in terms of man-hours) in the war against terrorism than pointing roadsigns in the wrong direction like what we used to in the old days.

Sorted.

Next!

Kingboy_D

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"From "From the WIlderness":

QuoteOn December 29th the Associated Press reported:

"The FBI is warning police nationwide to be alert for people carrying almanacs, cautioning that the popular reference books covering everything from abbreviations to weather trends could be used for terrorist planning.

"In a bulletin sent Christmas Eve to about 18,000 police organizations, the FBI said terrorists may use almanacs "to assist with target selection and pre-operational planning.""It urged officers to watch during searches, traffic stops and other investigations for anyone carrying almanacs, especially if the books are annotated in suspicious ways."

WTF?!?

Good, that's what I say. Why else would you read an almanac if not for plotting nefarious schemes? I suspect that one of my work colleagues is studying one of these 'book' items; he also knows suspiciously little about "I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here" which makes me think he's up to something. Furthermore he often expresses opinions of a political nature, some of which criticise our government's brave efforts to bring Democracy to those ghastly countries in the Middle East.

The more I think about it the more worried I become; I fear he may be hatching a terrorist outrage. I believe people like this should be made to register all reading material and have their internet activity monitored, perhaps even electronically tagged. I suspect though he would refuse such harmless forms of policing, as he obviously has something to hide.

Yours sincerely

Outraged.

Cerys

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"
Quote from: "fanny splendid"Also, Osama Bin Laden pays just over nine pounds a month by direct debit, to renew his TV licence.

Guess that means he's not working for the BBC then.  Nice to hear he approves of a great British institution though, even if he does want to kill everyone who watches it.

Not everyone.  Only the infidels.  The faithful will be saved; or at least only forced to take part in a new, ground-breaking reality TV show....

Dr. Gizmonic

Hmmm, so books are to blame for terrorism? Someone call Bradbury, I think he might want to have a little sad laugh to himself.

twatloops

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"

To quote Bill Hicks, LOL NO new Police investigations could now begin, "What you reading for?"

Pinball

So the FBI keeps Americans ignorant deliberately? Ahh. Very successful though aren't they? ;-)

Santa's Boyfriend

Intellectualism is the way of the terrorist...