Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:42:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BEERS

Started by xXx SuTtOnPuBcRaWl xXx, August 21, 2008, 08:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

Anyone ever bought nice LAGER from Aldi or Lidl? I bought a couple of Rheinbacher pilsner and they slipped right down. They're probably the German equivalent of Fosters but I really enjoyed them before dinner this afternoon.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

In my opinion acceptable German pilsner for the price - better than Becks, maybe not as good as Veltins. The bottled stuff seems to be nicer than the cans (as so often).

The real value is with the Rheinbacher Hefeweizen though - about the best price/performance you can get in supermarkets.

Emma Raducanu

Which supermarket?

Pseudopath

Quote from: DolphinFace on January 06, 2019, 08:39:12 PM
Which supermarket?

Rheinbacher is an Aldi brand. I believe it's actually rebadged Krombacher which is Germany's best-selling beer brand, so you're probably not far off with the Fosters comparison.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

http://www.general-anzeiger-bonn.de/ga-english/Rheinbacher-Premium-Pilsner-at-Aldi-UK-article3841204.html

I see. Doesn't taste as crisp as Krombacher in my opinion, but either way, very harsh comparing these beers to Fosters.

Cuntbeaks

My first ever visit to an Aldi was to buy their £1 Schofferhoffers. Sadly, they stopped doing them a few months later.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 07, 2019, 07:40:37 AM
I see. Doesn't taste as crisp as Krombacher in my opinion, but either way, very harsh comparing these beers to Fosters.

Yeah...that was a bit cruel. Any mass-produced German Piβwasser will be better than the crap lager we Brits chuck down our necks. I agree that the Rheinbacher Hefeweizen is surprisingly good (although it's pretty hard to find anything but Erdinger in most supermarkets, so it doesn't have much in the way of competition).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Funnily enough, over the last two years I've found an almost unnecessary choice of Hefeweizens in Tesco and Sainsbury's, even the small ones. The latter in particular has Erdinger, Franziskaner & Weihenstephaner all sold for the same price. Obviously I opt for Weihenstephaner but I don't get why you would use up all that shelf-space on the same style, at least chuck in a dunkelweizen.

On the subject I'm off to Nuremberg on Friday and looking forward to a bottle of Sebaldus dunkelweizen in Bierwerk. Hausbrauerei Altstadthof do a red wheatbeer which I have rarely encountered. Lovely beer.

The local Schanzenbrau brewery do a really nice rotbier, a Franconian speciality.

I would highly recommend any beer fans head to this part of Germany. Cheaper beer, better beer. Nuremberg is by a distance the best city-sized settlement I've visited in Germany. It's £20 each way from Manchester to Nuremberg as well. This will be visit #5 in just over two years.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 07, 2019, 01:37:12 PM
Funnily enough, over the last two years I've found an almost unnecessary choice of Hefeweizens in Tesco and Sainsbury's, even the small ones. The latter in particular has Erdinger, Franziskaner & Weihenstephaner all sold for the same price. Obviously I opt for Weihenstephaner but I don't get why you would use up all that shelf-space on the same style, at least chuck in a dunkelweizen

Yeah, that's always puzzled me. At least it gives me an excuse to buy three bottles when I only went to get one.

Last time I was in a Waitrose they had the Weihenstephaner dunkel.

Calistan

In Krakow for a couple of nights - very much looking forward to sampling some Baltic porters.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Calistan on January 14, 2019, 04:15:04 PM
In Krakow for a couple of nights - very much looking forward to sampling some Baltic porters.

You disgusting sex tourist

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You'll be wading through Polish/Czech lagers, craft stouts, wits and IPAs to find them. More chance of finding baltic porters in Gdansk than down south.

You may have already checked out my recommendations:

https://[SPAM - REMOVED].com/poland/

Kazimierz is still where to go for nightlife but fyi there is a new craft beer complex west of the old town border park called Wezze Krafta (sp?) that has a London-type atmosphere and may be up your street.

Omerta and Strefa Piwa in Kazimierz have a great beer range and are friendly, Eszewaria, Alchemia and Singer have great atmosphere.

mrlizard

I enjoyed House of Beer in the Old Town when I was there. Managed to get there twice a couple of years ago, despite the Mrs pulling the old "I'm tired now" nonsense. She's gone now.

In Amsterdam with work again and client has recommended this place - Bier Fabriek. Anyone been? Not too keen on the 'pour your own' side of it, but hopefully the home-brewed stuff is decent...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Nope, but I've been to a few pour your own bars. They are usually based around that gimmick, and the business model is therefore around big groups enjoying the novelty. Issues with amount of head/freshness can arise too.

Edit. Yep having read dozens of reviews it looks pretty bland, expensive, cookie cutter hipster decor, big crowds and the predictably poor service you get when that's around and overrated food of a kind you could get anywhere.

So great brown cafés with good beer instead of there.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

De Prael Houthavens Brouwerij
Nieuwe Hemweg 2, 1013 BG Amsterdam, Netherlands
+31 20 408 4469
https://maps.app.goo.gl/vCEf6

This seems to be a better brew pub with a similar concept

This is simply better beer and a better venue as the reviews attest to:

Brouwerij 't IJ
Funenkade 7, 1018 AL Amsterdam, Netherlands
+31 20 261 9800
https://maps.app.goo.gl/jdo4J

mrlizard

Cheers, mate. We've mentioned the latter as somewhere to go next time.

It's looking like dinner and then that pour-your-own place tonight. Not got high hopes but I'll report back. I'm sure there are other places in Haarlem if it's supershite.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Yeah, the BierFabriek is OK but it's really nothing special. The other breweries mentioned above are miles better, though it's worth noting that Brouwerij 't IJ closes at 8pm as they only have a license as a tasting outlet for the brewery as opposed to a regular café license.

If you're in Haarlem you should check out the Jopenkerk. It's a Jopen brewery/grand café/restaurant inside an old church. They make some nice beers. Big fan of their Extra Stout, Mooie Nel IPA and Ongelovige Thomas (quadrupel - dangerous stuff). https://www.jopenkerk.nl/haarlem/fotos/

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Haarlem?

Proeflokaal In den Uiver - a beautiful historic jenever tasting house (that also serves nice beer)
Café Briljant - a funky but quite relaxed pub with brown cafe features and a wicked selection of beers

mrlizard

Ended up in Jopenkerk and Uiltje Brewery & Taproom - fantastic stuff and highly recommended.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

On the subject, in my opinion there aren't too many brewery taps I can think of that are fantastic pubs/bars as well as doing decent beer. Often a bit by-the-numbers, and these days very generic industrial chic.

Even the Cantillon brewery in Brussels which is in a traditional building doesn't quite make use of the available space to create somewhere you want to hang around in and..sheesh, transfer your money to them in exchange for beer.

However I can highly recommend Schlenkerla's pub room in Bamberg. It's so damn good. Communal tables and communal conversation, not too big so it feels like a standard pub. Blackened beams and hooks everywhere (hooks are good), a serving hatch, slightly off-angle door frames, a beautiful little courtyard. And beer direct from the barrel.

I was there last Sunday after taking my partner to Franconia. She enjoys smoke beer especially so Bamberg was a compulsory visit. Beautiful town centre too.

hummingofevil

The last time I was in Cantillon the fella with the tâche who speaks about 9 languages actively refused to take money. Shut the bar an hour early and kicked everyone out. It was rammed mind.

A good shout for a brewery Tap is The Rat and Ratchet in Huddersfield. I think the beer is brewed on site (though TBF Im not sure where) and it's cheap, lush and is a nice old-school boozer).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Cuellar

Only going to bloody Leuven next wednesday

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ok some quick Leuven advice

- The view from the Library tower is nice on a clear day
- The begijnhof is unmissable, like an abandoned village, some of it is even nicer than Bruges. Very quiet and beautiful
- Domus is yer workaday brewery tap, albeit with very nice microbrew strong dark belgian ale and well cooked steak
- De Metafoor and The Fiere Margriete are very nice brown cafes with some amazing tap options
- The Oude Markt is good for night atmosphere and of course the beer is great everywhere, but I didn't find an outright amazing bar on the square. They're all a bit this'll do.
- You are in Stella country so try at least one pristine poured Stella at the right time. I quite enjoyed mine.

Cuellar

Cheers boss, will deffo check out Domus.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 16, 2019, 12:00:52 PM
Haarlem?

Proeflokaal In den Uiver - a beautiful historic jenever tasting house (that also serves nice beer)
Café Briljant - a funky but quite relaxed pub with brown cafe features and a wicked selection of beers

Café Briljant closed in the summer, it's an apartment now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Well, I'm off to Liège, Maastricht and Aachen next week so hopefully dipping into some decent beers.

Btw just to flag up that BeerWulf have increased their range, seemingly, with a pretty good French and Dutch section augmenting the Belgian one which is now nearly 300 strong in itself.

French beers are worth exploring if you enjoy Saison, while they often have a go at Belgian styles like Tripel, their own traditional styles like Biere de Garde, Provision ales are interesting.

The Dutch can't decide whether to go craft or go Belgian so there are quite a few hybrid styles which will be up many people's straats.

king_tubby

Hmmmmm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-47754068

I like Magic Rock a lot - good beer, nice taproom. And I'm guessing the people involved are getting serious money.

But XXXX? NO.