Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:46:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BEERS

Started by xXx SuTtOnPuBcRaWl xXx, August 21, 2008, 08:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sponk

Never knew Carlsberg had such a shite reputation, alw thought it was considered one of the best mainstream beers. I really like the new Pilsner they've released. Barely tastes like beer at all

Calistan

I'm supping on a Weihenstephaner to rewind after work. Doing the job nicely. I see Tesco don't really stock them anymore which is a great pity.

Off to Vienna, Ljubljana, Bled, Bohinj and Munich in three weeks or so so any beer (or bar) suggestions would be most welcome!

Pseudopath

Quote from: Calistan on August 27, 2019, 07:56:25 PM
Munich...beer (or bar) suggestions would be most welcome!

Depends what atmosphere you're looking for. All of the "Big Six" Munich-based breweries who are allowed to have tents at Oktoberfest offer rowdy and cavernous beer halls with oompah bands (the Hofbräuhaus is definitely an 'experience', but predictably full of tourists who've overestimated their ability to drink several litres of strong lager).

If you want a more tranquil experience, I'd recommend any of the pub-sized taverns like Paulaner im Tal or the Schneider Weisses Bräuhaus just across the street (although pretty much every district of Munich has a nice Wirtshaus which will offer a similar ambience).

If beer gardens are more your thing and weather is permitting, the Paulanergarten (situated at the Paulaner brewery in Nockherberg) and the Augustiner Keller (about 10 minutes' walk from the central train station) are both glorious. Some people swear by the Hirschgarten (which is about a 20 minute tram ride from Augustiner Keller), but it stinks a little too overpoweringly of musk and deer shit for my liking - I'd much rather have a wander through the breathtaking Englischer Garten and grab a Maß or two at the Chinesischer Turm (Chinese Tower).

In terms of beer, Paulaner Hefeweizen is the nectar of the gods, but if you've got enough time at least try to taste something from each of the Big Six (Hofbräu, Paulaner, Augustiner, Löwenbräu, Hacker-Pschorr and Spaten).

Ferris

If you don't mind a train and a bit of a hike, we had a lovely time at Andechs monastery/brewery a little ways outside Munich.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klosterbrauerei_Andechs

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteOff to Vienna, Ljubljana, Bled, Bohinj and Munich in three weeks or so so any beer (or bar) suggestions would be most welcome

Slovenia:

Look into the Gostilnas in Slovenia, rustic Country inns with amazing hearty food and usually a decent taproom/locals area. Gostilna Pri Planincu in Bled is nice. Bled's Nightlife is limited but there was a peculiar Wetherspoons a-like called Devil and a nice locals pub called Red n Black which does decent German beer.

In Ljubljana you won't get good beer at Metelkova but you should head down there anyway for the atmosphere. It's a small commune on the old Yugoslavian barracks which is now an arts centre, bar and loads of clubs.

Vienna

Kanguruh for beers and evening atmosphere. You can't get much better. It's a lovely pub.

Vienna is famous for its stuffy formal beisls, restaurants which have an Ausschenk, taproom type area. One of the more welcoming is Gosser Bierklinik - try the Dunkel.

Frustrating lack of casual drinking options in the city centre as I think was alluded to on a previous page.

As usual, try my map http://[SPAM - REMOVED].com and I have also added a few recommendations for Munich based on what some of my friends and work colleagues have said.

Ronalado

please do you sell SUPER BOCK at this webste?

Calistan

Thanks for the recommendations lads. As everyone said, Vienna seemed very limited in terms of bars. Kanguruh was excellent and worth the wander over to that side of town. Out of desperation we went to 1516 and just sat outside. It was alright, the wheat beer was decent (my girlfriend's IPA was fairly shite though) and it passed away the time.

I reckon the highlight of the drinking experience in Vienna was the Sturm, a young wine which I had several.

Currently in Ljubljana, it's also lacking in any kind of memorable bars. Didn't have time to explore Metelkova but we'll probably walk through it before our bus later. Looks like Red N Black is closed but I'm quite excited for Gostilna Pri Planincu.

Blue Jam

Can you still get beer from the Human Fish brewery in Ljubljana? I enjoyed that one- apparently the brewer is an Aussie who went on holiday to Ljubljana and just decided he never wanted to leave and would stay there and brew beer for a living. Fair play to him.

Anyway, currently at Cloisters in Embra enjoying a schooner of this:

Yes, this is a Kit-Kat ale, and yes, it is amazing. Even better than the Coco Pop stout I had at Usher's back when they still made beer and before they closed and then reopened as a crappy beer pong bar.

Ferris

^lovely pub. Tried to impress my wife when we were first dating by sliding down the bannister in there (down the stairs towards the bogs). Actually sort of worked.

Viero_Berlotti

I may have to cut-down my alcohol consumption for health reasons (fat liver). What good 4% abv or lower beers would the heads on here recommend?

popcorn

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 21, 2019, 03:29:30 PM
^lovely pub. Tried to impress my wife when we were first dating by sliding down the bannister in there (down the stairs towards the bogs). Actually sort of worked.

Phwoar....

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on September 22, 2019, 08:52:36 PM
I may have to cut-down my alcohol consumption for health reasons (fat liver). What good 4% abv or lower beers would the heads on here recommend?

Half a red Chimay

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on September 22, 2019, 09:15:39 PM
Phwoar....

It's a vision of what you could have had if you hadn't spurned my advances.

Blue Jam

Cloisters, Edinburgh. No logo in the foam.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

ONLY A PINT
THAT'S WHAT I TOLD MYSELF FOR FIF-TEEN YEARS

Blue Jam

POOR ME
POOR ME
POUR ME ANOTHER DRINK

sponk

Had some Studio Pilsener which was lovely. And San Miguel which was shite.

sponk

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 26, 2019, 06:08:32 PM
POOR ME
POOR ME
POUR ME ANOTHER DRINK

Pour me Saddam Hussein's phone number

Shoulders?-Stomach!

On the Oktoberfest and German beers at the minute.

Ayinger have a presence in a few Leeds bars which is great to see, Hacker Pschorr and Spaten too, and seen Augustiner in one place. Keep your eyes peeled, they are lovely beers.

Ferris

Becks, a simple Becks.

(...more fool you, asshole)

Blue Jam

Isn't it like your krypronite?

ten minutes later

I JUST WANNA FUCK AND SUCK...

Pseudopath

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 26, 2019, 06:15:52 PM
Ayinger have a presence in a few Leeds bars which is great to see.

Really good to hear. They're a great brewery. Don't suppose they've got any Celebrator on tap, have they?

Norton Canes

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 26, 2019, 06:15:52 PM
On the Oktoberfest and German beers at the minute.

Ayinger have a presence in a few Leeds bars which is great to see, Hacker Pschorr and Spaten too, and seen Augustiner in one place. Keep your eyes peeled, they are lovely beers

Got these babies today from the big Booths in Kendal, plus a Hacker Pschorr Hefe Weisse that's already gone. Might have them later with some toast... or perhaps some carrots.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 26, 2019, 08:18:17 PM
Got these babies today from the big Booths in Kendal, plus a Hacker Pschorr Hefe Weisse that's already gone. Might have them later with some toast... or perhaps some carrots.

Ooooh...I keep meaning to try the Vitus but never got around to it. Let us know how well it goes down! Zum Wohl!

Ferris

Quote from: Pseudopath on October 26, 2019, 08:22:54 PM
Ooooh...I keep meaning to try the Vitus but never got around to it. Let us know how well it goes down! Zum Wohl!

The Vitus is lovely. For some reason, it's the only (?) Weihenstephaner I regularly see in liquor stores in Canada.

DrGreggles

Got some Fopp vouchers as my leaving present from work the other day.
Which was nice.

Then this morning I got this as a surprise delivery:
https://www.beerwulf.com/en-gb/p/beercases/brussels-beer-challenge-2018

They'd got me another present!
Which was nicer.

Cuellar

Oofff Corsendonk Agnus, Tripel D'Anvers, that's a good box. Might get that myself

Norton Canes

Had one of those Erdinger Kristalls last night. What is point? All the lovely cloudy wheatiness taken out along with most of the taste. Wheat beer for people who don't like wheat beer.

Kristall? Nicht.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah Kristall is a weirdly unnecessary beer style. I guess some people out there must enjoy it. Augustiner's weissbier is not very cloudy and that's still quite nice, mind.

Ferris

I like kristalweiss beers, come at me.

Also bought a luuurvely bottle of Jura 18 for my desk at work. Not beer, but nowhere else on CaB to mention it.