Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:55:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BEERS

Started by xXx SuTtOnPuBcRaWl xXx, August 21, 2008, 08:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Bogey

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: purlieu on September 11, 2008, 10:35:25 AM
This is the best thing ever:

I haven't tried the rum cask stuff, but I'm not convinced by their bourbon-casked version.  It's an interesting idea, alright, but I think it works better in theory than in practice.  Just a bit too sweet on the palate. 

It's made by friends of the family, though, so I wish 'em well.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Bogey on September 13, 2008, 10:23:38 AM
Flippin' 'eck, that one's not real is it???

We'd all be speaking German by now if it wasn't for Spitfire beer.

Reminds me of Bombardier ("The Drink of England")'s ill-advised attempt to launch their product in Scottish boozers by giving away hosts of George Cross-festooned merchandise during the world cup.  As far as I'm aware, the campaign wasn't a success.

purlieu

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on September 13, 2008, 10:50:43 AM
I haven't tried the rum cask stuff, but I'm not convinced by their bourbon-casked version.  It's an interesting idea, alright, but I think it works better in theory than in practice.  Just a bit too sweet on the palate. 

I haven't tried the bourbon one, but the rum one's sweetness is refreshing without being too much, I find.  Then again, I don't always mind sweeter beers so perhaps I'm not the best judge.

sproggy

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on September 13, 2008, 10:50:43 AM

Can you ask them to drop the packaging?  It's wasteful and adds no value to the product.

I saw a Hofmeister truck the other day, I thought that was long gone.

Paranormalhandy

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on September 13, 2008, 10:53:57 AMReminds me of Bombardier ("The Drink of England")'s ill-advised attempt to launch their product in Scottish boozers by giving away hosts of George Cross-festooned merchandise during the world cup.  As far as I'm aware, the campaign wasn't a success.

Except possibly in my neck of the woods.  During the '06 World Cup, loads of cars in Stevenston could be seen with St George's Cross furry dice.  Not sure why, but it's either because (a) it's the closest to an Ulster flag some people could find or (b) a Saltire is "non-Unionist", so therefore eschewed by Orangemen (along with supporting Scotland).

NoSleep

I could skull a couple of these:

ThickAndCreamy

I've never actually ever tried Guinness, am I missing out?

NoSleep

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on September 13, 2008, 07:23:13 PM
I've never actually ever tried Guinness, am I missing out?

That isn't merely a Guinness there: it's a Guinness Foreign Extra (8% alcohol). You must try one.

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: NoSleep on September 13, 2008, 08:08:27 PM
That isn't merely a Guinness there: it's a Guinness Foreign Extra (8% alcohol). You must try one.
Do Guinness ever sell in bottles or cans though, I have never seen any in supermarkets or off licenses from my knowledge. If they do sell them, where do you get them from?

NoSleep

The above is generally available around London. It tends to be off-licences that sell it, rather than supermarkets. I think this is because the Foreign Extra is made to export to Jamaica. There's Nigerian & Ghanaian versions of it, too, but these are made in the respective countries and don't have the same bite as the one exported from Dublin.

But normal Guinness is available in 4 different forms - Normal cans, cans with widgets, pint-sized bottles with screw tops & half pint bottles with a bottle top.

rudi

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on September 13, 2008, 08:11:24 PM
Do Guinness ever sell in bottles or cans though, I have never seen any in supermarkets or off licenses from my knowledge. If they do sell them, where do you get them from?

Eh?? You've never seen a can or bottle of Guinness in an off-licence or supermarket??

Get. Out. Of. Town.

I don't think I've been in an off-licence, supermarket or convenience store that doesn't stock these:

purlieu

Sainsbury's sell Guinness Original in bottle and can, and Guinness Draught in can as standard range.  And I'd say every shop that sells alcohol I've ever been to has sold Guinness Draught cans.

sproggy

I don't think there's a country in the world where you can't get a Guinness.  The export stuff is quite a challenging drink, especially when still warm.

xXx SuTtOnPuBcRaWl xXx

Quote from: rudi on September 14, 2008, 03:38:54 AM
Eh?? You've never seen a can or bottle of Guinness in an off-licence or supermarket??

Get. Out. Of. Town.

Yeah, that has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Viero_Berlotti

What's that Jamaican drink called? It's a mixture of Guinness or stout with condensed milk and sugar, sounds disgusting I know but I had a Jamaican friend at school and his parents used to make it and I remember it being really nice.

no_offenc

Am I allowed to mention cider?  The oak-matured stuff that Thatchers do/did is/was fucking fantastic.  Had a slight sort of rummy flavour to it and went down about as easily as a tuppenny whore in 19th century London.  OK, that's a crap way of putting it, but it really is/was great.  They also make a shitload of other good cider, none of which I should probably drink because it makes me far too pissed and I start telling people they're my best mate and I love 'em.

Actually that said, that's pretty much what ALL booze does to me, usually.  That or I sleep.

On the beer front I've got a bit of a pre-emptive tear in my eye for the possible closure of Liverpool brewery Cains, who make a rather tasty array of seasonal beers.  Their Victorian Ale and Double Bock are both quite ace.  And possibly their creamy Stout as well, though it's been ages since I had it.

NoSleep

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on September 14, 2008, 01:08:56 PM
What's that Jamaican drink called? It's a mixture of Guinness or stout with condensed milk and sugar, sounds disgusting I know but I had a Jamaican friend at school and his parents used to make it and I remember it being really nice.

Guinness Punch.

You can make a version of it by mixing 50/50 Guinness & (Vanilla) Nutrament.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: NoSleep on September 14, 2008, 01:19:06 PM
Guinness Punch.

You can make a version of it by mixing 50/50 Guinness & (Vanilla) Nutrament.

Would suppligen be an adequate substitute for nutrament?

NoSleep

Quote from: Suttonpubcrawl on September 14, 2008, 01:40:11 PM
Would suppligen be an adequate substitute for nutrament?

I'm not sure. The only other stuff I've tried it with is Nurishment. I guess any milky based vitamin drink would be worth a try - no guarantees.

edit: I see... Suppligen is another Jamaican milky based vitamin drink. Makes it more likely to be a good substitute, although there must be a better recipe for homemade Guinness Punch somewhere out there on the net.

the midnight watch baboon

Anyone tried gluten-free beer... I don't think there's a great deal of readily available stuff out there and I can only imagine it tastes worse than most beers. Bah

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: NoSleep on September 14, 2008, 01:47:13 PMedit: I see... Suppligen is another Jamaican milky based vitamin drink. Makes it more likely to be a good substitute, although there must be a better recipe for homemade Guinness Punch somewhere out there on the net.

I just did a quick google and found this:
http://www.caribbeanfoodemporium.co.uk/gpunch.htm

At the end of the recipe it states this:

QuoteSome people have been known to add a beaten raw egg.

Oh my God.

NoSleep

And I'm thinking a Guinness Foreign Extra or two might be a good substitute for normal Guinness to add some bite (and alcohol - the Guinness is normally just a flavour, according to some recipes - and kids drink it).

Viero_Berlotti

Thanks for that, might give making it a try tonight.

And to the tagger, we were about 15-16 at the time and as No Sleep said it's not even that strong, about the same strength as shandy. To be honest it was the copious amounts of homegrown sensi that was always on offer that I should have been worried about.

niat

I love draft Guinness, but I've never liked any of the various bottled/canned versions. Am I missing out? Has it improved recently?

The best bottled beer I've had for ages was Kronenbourg Premier Cru (in the blue bottle). It seems to be discontinued in all the major supermarkets, but it's lovely. About 6%, and tastes nothing like the standard Kronenbourg 1664 fare, it's a darker colour and is much more flavoursome (searches for suitable beer appreciation phrase and fails). You can still get the Blanc version everywhere but I can't find Premier Cru anywhere. Anyone know any stockists?

NoSleep

Quote from: niat on September 16, 2008, 01:15:03 PM
I love draft Guinness, but I've never liked any of the various bottled/canned versions. Am I missing out? Has it improved recently?

Apart from the above-mentioned Foreign Extra variety, the draught is still the one - and it tastes different in Ireland than if you try it on the mainland, or at least, it used to. I've heard that all Guinness is now produced in Dublin, whereas beforehand they would send some kind of half finished version to the various breweries that own pubs around Britain and they would complete its preparation: hence each brewery had its own version of Guinness. I've not sampled it in a pub of late to see if it now has that Irish Guinness taste. One of the reasons I like the Dublin-brewed Foreign Extra in bottles is it does have that Irish flavour lurking under its extra bite.

rudi

A bottle of Guinness was split on the floor
When the pub was shut for the night
Out crept a mouse from his little hole
And sat in the pale moonlight

He lapped at the frothy brew
Then back on his haunches he sat
And all night you could hear him roar
"Bring on the fucking cat!"

Apparently, despite many reasons including the water used, the freshness, the heat, the pouring etc, there's no difference in the Guinness at all. The biggest influence on the taste is the condition of the pipes and Irish pubs are supposedly meticulous concerning the cleanliness of the pipes that deliver the Guinness. Make of that what you will...

And NoSleep is correct: the 'foreign' stuff in bottles is divine.

Catalogue Trousers

That's nice that is. Tastes more like a barley wine than an IPA, mind.