Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:08:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BEERS

Started by xXx SuTtOnPuBcRaWl xXx, August 21, 2008, 08:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Canned Guinness is far more reliable than draught Guinness in the UK. Granted, you can have a far superior pint if you get lucky but it's hard enough finding the right places where even if the standard of the stuff is good, the staff all know how to pour it properly. Weird because you'd think it would be err...maybe the 2nd thing you'd teach bar staff.

Has anyone said Lal Toofan yet? No? Well I'm saying it. Tastes great with or without a curry nearby.

variant

Whats that Guinness can called where you pour it into the glass and put in on a vibrating plate thing and it settles as if it was draught? I've got one at home and its quite good but I can't remember what its called.

EDIT

Its called a surger...

Quote from: wikipediaIn March 2006, Guinness introduced the "surger" in Great Britain. The surger is a plate-like electrical device meant for the home. It sends ultrasonic waves through a Guinness-filled pint glass to recreate the beer's "surge and settle" effect. The device works in conjunction with special cans of surger-ready Guinness. Guinness tried out a primitive version of this system in 1977 in New York. The idea was abandoned until 2003, when it began testing the surger in Japanese bars, most of which are too small to accommodate traditional keg-and-tap systems. Since then, the surger has been introduced to bars in Paris, but there is no intention of making it available to the French public. Surgers are also in use in Australia and Athens, Greece. The surger for the USA market was announced on November 14, 2007; plans are to make the unit available to bars only

actwithoutwords

Father O`Blivion

In the interests of fairness

God I'm bored

boki

Quote from: Father O`Blivion on September 19, 2008, 04:08:15 AM
In the interests of fairness

You Revolting Cock!

Don't think we've had any discussion of Kriek yet, have we?  Fakkin' laavly stuff. 

mothman

Quote from: actwithoutwords on September 18, 2008, 02:03:44 PM

Yum.

I concur. Since I can't ski, it made our last family skiing trip much more bearable.

Quote from: boki on September 19, 2008, 08:48:50 AM
Don't think we've had any discussion of Kriek yet, have we?  Fakkin' laavly stuff.

I'm quite partial to Framboise (the raspberry-flavoured variant) but my favourite is Peche (peach, obviously).

thugler

grolsch is fucking shit.

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: thugler on September 19, 2008, 10:44:37 PM
grolsch is fucking shit.
Bloody dutch, they're only good for hookers, drugs, windmills and clogs.

And yeah, it is quite crappy.

Also, I've just thought of something, in the UK are "light" beers sold or is it just an American thing where people want to drink something with even less taste than you could ever of imagined. Light beers just seem to be a huge waste in every respect in my eyes but I've never seen them sold in the UK anywhere, but I've never even seen Guinness sold in supermarkets and everyone seems to think I'm blind or deluded because of it. I'm not remotely saying that them not being sold is potentially a bad thing in the slightest, it's great, I'm just wondering if my instincts are actually true and not some fantasy in which I believe people in the UK have better taste.

NoSleep

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on September 19, 2008, 10:54:56 PM

Also, I've just thought of something, in the UK are "light" beers sold or is it just an American thing where people want to drink something with even less taste than you could ever of imagined. Light beers just seem to be a huge waste in every respect in my eyes but I've never seen them sold in the UK anywhere, but I've never even seen Guinness sold in supermarkets and everyone seems to think I'm blind or deluded because of it.

The UK has a history of lightening all imported beers. I could never understand why Reggae artists would actually namecheck Heinekin until I tasted Heinekin Export (about 5%) compared to the pisswater that was generally available here for years. Likewise Fosters (in the original huge-sized cans) and Castlemaine XXXX are quite nice when originally imported, but their UK draught versions and their UK canned equivalents lost a good 2% in strength and 50% or more in flavour.

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: NoSleep on September 19, 2008, 11:38:27 PM
The UK has a history of lightening all imported beers. I could never understand why Reggae artists would actually namecheck Heinekin until I tasted Heinekin Export (about 5%) compared to the pisswater that was generally available here for years. Likewise Fosters (in the original huge-sized cans) and Castlemaine XXXX are quite nice when originally imported, but their UK draught versions and their UK canned equivalents lost a good 2% in strength and 50% or more in flavour.
Wow, that's pretty awful and I had no idea of this, I generally though Fosters was always brewed in the UK, I know it certainly is now. All sounds pretty depressing really, how that flavourless, weaker beer always manages to outsell beer with any form of taste or strength.

boki

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on September 19, 2008, 10:54:56 PM
Bloody dutch, they're only good for hookers, drugs, windmills and clogs.

And yeah, it is quite crappy.

Also, I've just thought of something, in the UK are "light" beers sold or is it just an American thing where people want to drink something with even less taste than you could ever of imagined. Light beers just seem to be a huge waste in every respect in my eyes but I've never seen them sold in the UK anywhere

Bit of a mixed bag - Carling's C2 (as in 2%) experiment appears to have been a failure, but that's probably more to do with the fact that it's Crapling than anything else  (foul, foul stuff and this is coming from someone who can easily tolerate Carlsberg and Fosters), but on the other hand Coors is starting to turn up in more and more places and is actually being consumed (just this evening I witnessed my own brother buy and drink a pint - let's just pretend he's adopted or something).

CaledonianGonzo

Yeah...imported Heinken is quite good stuff, as is proper Dutch Grolsch.

I can't get enough of this stuff at the moment:

Halfway between a lager and a bitter, with a citrusy character that's supposed to be lemony, but is actually closer to grapefruit.  Zestier than your average beer.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on September 20, 2008, 06:55:15 AMYeah...imported Heinken is quite good stuff

And so the thread goes full circle!

no_offenc

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on September 20, 2008, 06:55:15 AM
Yeah...imported Heinken is quite good stuff, as is proper Dutch Grolsch.

I can't get enough of this stuff at the moment:

Halfway between a lager and a bitter, with a citrusy character that's supposed to be lemony, but is actually closer to grapefruit.  Zestier than your average beer.

Ooh, they had that on tap a month or so back at one of my usual haunts.  It was good stuff.

I had a couple of rather nice pints of Cains FA (formidable ale) last night.  's good to see that they're still producing in the face of bankruptcy.  Also that quality hasn't dropped.

George Oscar Bluth II

Damn that's one light tasting beer.

Is Coors' advertising strategy working then? I didn't think making out that a beer doesn't really taste of beer and doesn't have much alcohol in it would work given our manly drinking culture.

Pinball

I'll say it again, but UK-brewed equivalents of formerly imported beers are SHIT. I recently had the misfortune of buying some San Miguel that is UK-brewed. It tasted very different (meaning worse) and gave me a headache. What garbage.

Once an imported beer goes UK, don't buy it!!! Do other countries do this local brewing shit, or is it just the UK because of our massive alcohol taxes?

A quick plug for the Mexicans - Corona, Sol.

Oh, and what's this "2.9%" crap about? Loads of companies are doing it now, even Becks FFS. When did we become a nation of pussies?

CaledonianGonzo

For a while back there, San Miguel was actually brewed in Edinburgh...

2008 has very much been the year that I became a real ale drinker, where previously I was very much a confirmed connoisseur of the European lager brands.

Speaking of which:

It's pricey, but it's worth it.  Their 'Scottish' ale McChouffe is a strange Belgian brew indeed:

Did he just call my pint a poof?

Viero_Berlotti

I moved house a few months ago and was surprised to find at the local cornershop, amongst your standard Fosters, Stellas and Carlings some lovely cans of DAB imported from Germany. Nowhere else in the area does it and I can't get enough of the stuff, it's ideal for home drinking, light and crisp but full of hoppy flavour. Everything those crap American lagers aspire to.

CaledonianGonzo

They used to sell kegs of that in Macro:

Keg of DAB was a fairly common carry out round my way back in the day.  Like a German/early 1990s version of a Watney's Party 7.

Father O`Blivion

Quote from: no_offenc on September 20, 2008, 11:17:38 AM
I had a couple of rather nice pints of Cains FA (formidable ale) last night.  's good to see that they're still producing in the face of bankruptcy.  Also that quality hasn't dropped.

Did you try the RAISIN CAINS last Chrimbo? It's the nicest beer I've ever had! I absolutely caned it and then POOF it disappeared as quickly as it had arrived.

no_offenc

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 21, 2008, 01:25:18 PM
Did you try the RAISIN CAINS last Chrimbo? It's the nicest beer I've ever had! I absolutely caned it and then POOF it disappeared as quickly as it had arrived.

They sell it bottled all year 'round, I think.  It's quite lovely, and apparently they've been re-bought by the guys who lost it a month or two back in what is essentially a big tax-dodging move.  So, uh, they're probably dicks but they've saved a decent local brewery from ruin and as such I can't hate them too much.  I want them to start doing the Victorian ale again soon, that stuff is very good.

WOOO! Great news! Now I just gotta get my dad to send me a few bottles. Are you allowed to send booze in the post? I think not, innit. Maybe I'll come home this Christmas, after all.

thugler

cains is great. Everytime I've had a pint of any of their beers it's been delicious.

jonboy

Quote from: thugler on September 19, 2008, 10:44:37 PM
grolsch is fucking shit.
their new weissbier version - Grolsch Weizen - is fucking ace though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on September 20, 2008, 12:31:40 PM
Damn that's one light tasting beer.

Is Coors' advertising strategy working then? I didn't think making out that a beer doesn't really taste of beer and doesn't have much alcohol in it would work given our manly drinking culture.

I don't think Carling C2 caught on exactly either.

'You mean I have to drink double of this shit'?

Yeah I know, it's for people who don't want to be over the limit, but Carling didn't advertise it as that, they were trying to sell it as an ordinary product. If I was driving I think I'd probably not be a cunt and choose either Beck's Alcoholfrei (which is palatable over Kaliber) or just a soft drink. This makes their cruddy invention pretty much pointless.

However, Becks Vier is really quite commendable. The 5% bottled stuff really is last resort territory but Vier...woohoo...it's delicious.

Coors is quite refreshing actually. When it falls anything below absolute top quality it gives off a horrible fart-like scent and tastes a bit of sick. Call me a philistine but a nice pint of Coors on a hot day is acceptable. Sometimes it's the best thing on the taps (sad, but true).

SOTS

Coors isn't TOO bad. I mean, we get Wetherspoons vouchers through the door sometimes and in there are always quite a few £1.69 a pint Coors vouchers in there. I'll tend to drink it when i'm in there eating. It should be noted that the rest of their draught lager selection is totally abysmal.

Bogey

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 25, 2008, 11:50:54 AM
However, Becks Vier is really quite commendable. The 5% bottled stuff really is last resort territory but Vier...woohoo...it's delicious.

Coors is quite refreshing actually. When it falls anything below absolute top quality it gives off a horrible fart-like scent and tastes a bit of sick. Call me a philistine but a nice pint of Coors on a hot day is acceptable. Sometimes it's the best thing on the taps (sad, but true).

Ordinary Beck's is a tricky one: it comes in a tiny bottle and is therefore ludicrously expensive (even for bottled beer) in a pub, but when it's ice, ice cold, there's nothing quite like it. Dry as anything and very very refreshing after a shitty night of collecting glasses in a pretentious fucking bar, I can tell you that. It being free in said bar improved the taste for me as well, at the time.

And I agree with you about Coors. I remember, when I was wandering around a very hot American South years ago, sitting out in ninety degree heat with a very very cold one of those was just the ticket, in rather the same way as a glass or bottle of cold water is exactly what you want when you're doing something knackering.

George Oscar Bluth II

I take back what I said about Coors. It's actually really nice, but only when cold.

mrlizard

My local mini-market is a haven for foreign booze. This stuff is gorgeous, although expensive (£1.35 for a 284ml).

This is alright too, but again a bit costly (£2.49 per bottle!).