Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:18:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BEERS

Started by xXx SuTtOnPuBcRaWl xXx, August 21, 2008, 08:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrlizard

Quote from: mrlizard on September 28, 2008, 09:00:20 PM

My local mini-market is a haven for foreign booze. This stuff is gorgeous, although expensive (£1.35 for a 284ml).

I've just found it for £1.20 near me, which is just luscious. However, I've heard reports of 79p and 89p in London. You lucky so-and-sos!

NoSleep

Quote from: mrlizard on September 29, 2008, 03:46:20 AM
I've just found it for £1.20 near me, which is just luscious. However, I've heard reports of 79p and 89p in London. You lucky so-and-sos!

If you like Dragon Stout, do please try the Guinness Foreign Extra I mentioned earlier. Dragon Stout is a poor second in my opinion (albeit rather good).

The Masked Unit

Don't be fooled, people. Guinness literally tastes like liquid metal!

purlieu

But tasty liquid metal.

rudi

Tasty black metal at that. Yum.

purlieu

CaledonianGonzo

Tonight's tipple is this stuff:

Now, I'm usually a fan of Raspberry beers - Framboise and the like - but this stuff is thin, vinegary and, crucially, almost completely bereft of raspberry taste.  And I've just bought a shedload of it :-(

Avoid.

boki

So you're saying that you had a mean time with it? You should've seen that coming, to be fair.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: boki on October 04, 2008, 05:56:56 PM
So you're saying that you had a mean time with it? You should've seen that coming, to be fair.

It's brewed in Greenwich - and I was certainly Green(wich) about the gills after a mouthful or two.  Maybe because I didn't chill it to 0°, or maybe because it's best enjoyed in the hours of the ante meridian, I couldn't last an hour on it.  I won't be able to walk in a straight line for days as I navigate away from it, wish I'd had a warm Cutty Sark instead, etc.

I'm on the Mojitos now. 

Ronnie the Raincoat

Quote from: purlieu on September 29, 2008, 05:48:24 PM
?

They've just reminded me of late nineties she-male pop band Luscious Jackson.

Quote from: rudi on September 29, 2008, 05:36:26 PM
Tasty black metal at that. Yum.

Too right.  Guinness is bloody super.  Sadly, I seem to be unable to consume alcohol on my current tablets.

no_offenc

So Tesco finally got some Guinness Foreign Extra in.  It's the Nigerian one, I think, and weighs in at a quite respectable 7.5% abv.  About a third of a way through my first bottle and already I prefer it to regular draught Guinness.  Good call, nosleep.

I'm thinking I may go on a bit of a spree next time I get paid and get a few individual bottles in.  Are there any sites worth looking into?  I've had a brief gander at beersofeurope but wouldn't mind seeing if there was anywhere else I could check.

I had a pair of Kwak last night. Good stuff, almost worth ordering just for the ridiculous vessel it's served in.

Gouden Carollus Tripel was another. Probably tastier than the Kwak but that might just be because I was already half-Kwak'd after the Kwak.

[tag]GOUDEN CAROLLUS TRIPEL? FUCK THAT SHIT! KWAK![/tag]

CaledonianGonzo

To get me in the mood for the forthcoming game against the Norwegians:

Mmmmmm....crispy.

ThickAndCreamy

EVERYONE I HAVE SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO ANNOUNCE.

I'm going to start drinking British Ale. Why, you ask? Well, it's cheaper than imported beers and has a larger range whenever I want to buy some quickly from a supermarket. So the question is, what ales shall I start with that I can buy in a major supermarket. My knowledge is almost non existent of British beer other than mass produced lagers which isn't really knowledge per se, as much as it is regret and dread. So what shall I start with, I'm willing to pay up to £2 (yes, nearly half the minimum wage per hour!) for anything that tastes good.

Danger Man

Look for the term 'bottle conditioned' on the bottle and you'll be ok.

Fullers is a good one to start with. Not sure what it costs, though.

boki

NEWKIE FOOKUN BROON, man. 

Fancy a dog meself now.

Cerys

It's got a bumblebee on it.

MuteBanana

Quote from: no_offenc on October 10, 2008, 09:04:13 PM
So Tesco finally got some Guinness Foreign Extra in.  It's the Nigerian one, I think, and weighs in at a quite respectable 7.5% abv.  About a third of a way through my first bottle and already I prefer it to regular draught Guinness.  Good call, nosleep.

It's good stuff isnt it?  Haven't had a bottle of it for a few years now, definately need to track it down again.

The only ales/bitters I get from the supermarket are Abbots and Old Speckled Hen and they get me hammered, so I don't buy them too often.

Don_Preston

Quote from: Cerys on March 10, 2009, 08:19:47 PM

It's got a bumblebee on it.

I went through a phase of having Brakspear Triple. Lovely, but bloody strong stuff!

copylight

It's fast approaching sunset where I am and I'm about to pop the lid on my 3rd Corona. This excites me immensely. The 1st one I cracked open, I just had to record this moment of almost religious intensity - notice how the precious last rays of sunset seem to drink in the heady golden rush of the Inca. It's so much more than a tangy thirst quencher is the Corona; it's a cheeky monkey, the Civic Type R of the bottled beer world.

Backstage With Slowdive

Some brewery should release a nut-flavoured lager called Hazel Beers.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 11, 2008, 06:54:25 AM
I had a pair of Kwak last night. Good stuff, almost worth ordering just for the ridiculous vessel it's served in.

It's not ridiculous. It's very practical. If, that is, you're an 18th century Walloon stagecoach driver. I am not any of these things, but I still have a Kwak glass on my kitchen window ledge.

Little Hoover

You mean this?

My dad has one of them, the one thing it stops you doing is gulping down too much at once, if you tip the glass too much it all comes pouring down all over you.

ThickAndCreamy

Coincidentally I was going to write in this topic last night, but I forgot to.

I've tried a variety of different ales and beers from my local supermarkets lately. Every British ale I seem to try usually leaves me feeling a tad disappointed usually, there are some exceptions however. Anyway, this Saturday I tried an ale called Adnams Carbon Neutral Ale, it was almost unbelievably dull, horribly carbonated and left a horrible aftertaste after I drank it. So, please, everyone avoid it, it's truly a bad beer.

Onto more positive notes, I mainly wanted to discuss what I had and adored, an Erdinger Weissbier. I'm shocked I've never had it before really, but my god, it was absolutely divine. It smelt wonderfully and tasted of a beautiful blend of woody fruits that seemed incredibly dominant, yet not overpowering. It's one of the finest beers I've had in recent memory and I think I will begin to drink it a lot more often, as well as attempting to divulge in more German beer, as my focus on Belgians is probably not for the best.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on May 11, 2009, 05:28:38 PMAnyway, this Saturday I tried an ale called Adnams Carbon Neutral Ale, it was almost unbelievably dull, horribly carbonated

Oh the irony.

thugler

Quote from: copylight on May 11, 2009, 11:12:33 AM
It's fast approaching sunset where I am and I'm about to pop the lid on my 3rd Corona. This excites me immensely. The 1st one I cracked open, I just had to record this moment of almost religious intensity - notice how the precious last rays of sunset seem to drink in the heady golden rush of the Inca. It's so much more than a tangy thirst quencher is the Corona; it's a cheeky monkey, the Civic Type R of the bottled beer world.

Come on. I enjoy a few of them on a hot day, but it's not beer is it. It's brewed with fucking rice, and tastes of very little.

Just had one of these:

Delicious.

Suttonpubcrawl

How can someone get excited about drinking Corona? I just don't understand that mindset.

SOTS

A Corona or two is very nice on a hot day. And the limeyness makes it a bit different, I suppose.

I wouldn't get excited about it but it is quite nice in certain circumstances.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The limeyness helps give it some flavour. I'd agree with the refreshingness of it. But that's the worst compliment you could give to a lager- which when served cold on a hot day, should be bloody refreshing. That's like complimenting a car by saying "well it goes forward and turns doesnt it what more do you want"

In wheat beer news, I stumbled upon the finest yet- Weihenstephan:

http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/index.html?beerid=440

The bottle has a green label in this country for the genuine article and a blue one for clear wheatbeer (don't bother with that one)

It really is the best. It may cost between £2 £2.50 a bottle. If anyone knows a place where this comes out of a tap then PM me immediately.