Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:24:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Directors Commentary

Started by Spaced Cadet, February 05, 2004, 08:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaced Cadet

I'm quite enjoying this - supposed to be improvised - Rob Brydon show. Anyone else like it or shall I just get my virtual coat ?

CK1

Yeah - I like it too. Interestingly, it was knocked back by the BBC. Even with Brydon's strong track record, this wasn't deemed good enough for them!

Entropy Balsmalch

I love it too.

My only criticism is the very cheap graphics used for the DVD menu screens.

That's quite petty isn't it?

But...but...but I watched this last week and it was crap of the crappest order and everyone agreed. Div'n tell me now that I've not bothered tuning in it's suddenly gone all not-shite.

Purple Tentacle

I watched it last night and thought it was as shite as last week.

But then I'll be giving Garth Merenghi's Darkplace another chance tonight, so there's no accounting for taste.

These "opinions" are slippery fellows.

Vermschneid Mehearties

I fucked up and forgot to watch it. Mixed opinions on it now?

The first one was ok, a bit lazy, but a few laughs, and the usual obvious material that would get a laugh any hour of the day.

I'll be watching GM's Darkplace, as I thought the first one was terrific.

butnut

I've never seen it. But a friend a mine who thought the Dead Ringer's Xmas shows were the height of comedy gold thinks it's really funny. Therefore, I have very low hopes for it.

Darrell

This second one was much better than the first. A few cheap jokes ("So Solid Crew" jarred horribly), and the repetition of the Bee Gees gag in the second half was bizarre, but there was much to love in last night's.

The DVD menu things are shamefully unrealistic though. And why the sounds? Does anybody's DVD or DVD player do that? That 'DIRECTORS COMMENTARY' logo in the corner can fuck off too. I'll consider letting it back in if they add a pissing apostrophe to it.

Silver SurferGhost

Quote from: "Darrell"This second one was much better than the first.
Really? Christ On A Bike.
I missed the first one but saw the second, and my jaw actually dropped open in horror.
I was really looking forward to this but apart from that first BeeGees joke, it was irredeemably shite, I'm very sorry to say.

Agreed about the odd placing of the other BeeGees joke, I think that demonstrates how much of a scissors and stickytape job
this program is.
I don't know how much of a hand ITV had in it's production, but it fair stinks of the channel.
I think it also proves just how much Marion & Geoff being excellent had to do with Hugo Blick rather than Rob Brydon,
who has really gone down in my estimatation with this.

Yours faithfully
Outraged of Neasden.

[rolls up sleeves]Right. Who's going to bring back that Garth Marenghi thread then? [/rolls up sleeves]

Spaced Cadet

I actually thought the first one was better, with the Bonanza clips. I think the quality of the shows used helps a lot (ie the they look pretty ridiculous anyway). The ad break inbetween really fucks it up for me. And yes the graphics are really shit. Jones The Film is that after the IAP thing about the welsh 007, Jones the Bond? I'll give it another viewing though.

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "Silver SurferGhost"
I think it also proves just how much Marion & Geoff being excellent had to do with Hugo Blick rather than Rob Brydon,
who has really gone down in my estimatation with this.

Ah, I wouldn't agree on this. I went to the 'Making Divorce Work' show, all of Rob Brydon's work, and it was fucking superb. Never a dull moment in that. It was a sublime performance.

Silver SurferGhost

Oh I am glad about that Lt (there's no way I'm calling you Plonker, I'll save that for the more deserving).
I really do like Brydon and his scary eyes, but this Directors thingummy has been a massive disappointment so far.
It actually reached a point where I was straining to hear the dialogue of The Bounder, for crying out loud.

I might give it another go then.

EDIT: I may regret saying that last bit in the morning.

The Plaque Goblin

Trouser Cough

Bit more miss than hit - but the end of the show, with the tale of the stage hand fired for helping the 'injured' Peter Bowles was a hoot.

Worth another go I think.

tony peanuts

Quote from: "Spaced Cadet"Jones The Film is that after the IAP thing about the welsh 007, Jones the Bond?

Apparently Brydon's real name is Jones, so the company is just named after him.  

A dull answer, I know, but accurate.

Jemble Fred

It's quite a good show, as long as it hasn't been laboured over. If the resultant comedy comes from hours of scripting and re-drafting, Brydon should be ashamed. But at least it has a few laughs, as opposed to Darkplace's barely one.

big dogs cock

I only caught the first one, but I enjoyed it. Yes it was a bit hit and miss, but it did sound improvised, and you're naturally more forgiving with such stuff. I did assume he'd be playing a different character every week though.

Darrell

It's not improvised, it's all pre-scripted with a bloke called Paul Duddridge who I've never heard of before. I assume it's scripted around taped improv, though.

Raminagrobis

I've been watching the 'Human Remains' DVD recently (which I love), and I noticed that Brydon is re-using a fair bit of that material in 'Director's Commentary', eg. 'medically a dwarf', 'splash and dash', etc.
That suggests to me that he hasn't put too much effort into writing new material for this thing.

imitationleather

Or maybe he hasn't got the talent to write anything new.

Rats

I didn't think much of this at all compaired to the first one. Maybe people were right saying it hasn't got legs. I suppose I'll have to watch the next one and see.

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: "Silver SurferGhost"I think it also proves just how much Marion & Geoff being excellent had to do with Hugo Blick rather than Rob Brydon,

Without Brydon, Hugo Blick was responsible for Operation Good Guys which is for me the very definition of awful, ill-conceived, shitey, give your mates a job, too many people shouting, lack of jokes or plot, improv chimps cum.

Silver SurferGhost

Really?
I'm judging by the similarly-staged (to Marion and Geoff) Up In Town with Joanna Lumley,
which I think was entirely Blick's (if I'm wrong someone say).
While not as funny as Marion and Geoff it was written well enough.

I'm not sure but wasn't Operation Good Guys largely improvised anyway, Blick only came up with the basic plot,
and I don't think he did it alone.
I think he did direct it, and so it could be argued he should have exercised more control than he did.
My memories of that one are a bit hazy though, I didn't watch it much.

As I say, I'm largely a fan of Brydon and would be happy to be proved wrong
(and i don't mean you've made an arse of putting your case, Entropy,
Christ it's like treading on eggshells here at the moment, who's gonna blow up next).

Bloody hell, not as opinionated as usual that was it, grrrr, you're all cunts who watch shit.

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: "Silver SurferGhost"As I say, I'm largely a fan of Brydon and would be happy to be proved wrong
(and i don't mean you've made an arse of putting your case, Entropy,
Christ it's like treading on eggshells here at the moment, who's gonna blow up next).

No eggshells broken at all - I just think Operation Good Guys is awful and Marion and Geoff, Human Remain (to a lesser degree) and Director's Commentary are all very good.

Perhaps I've misjudged Blick's input, but listening to the commentary on Marion and Geoff, Brydon is very funny and Blick is just a producer talking far ro much about how his technical choices made things much betterer.

Artemis

To a lesser degree Human Remains ??? Each to his own and all that, but I have to say I rate 'Remains up there with the highest of quality. Especially after watching the DVD, with all its original improv material with Brydon and Davis included. I view it as a masterclass in versatility and creativity. Not in the country to watch Director's Commentary but I do get 'Heat' magazine where I am, and it gives it five stars which is good enough for me.

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: "Artemis"To a lesser degree Human Remains ??? Each to his own and all that, but I have to say I rate 'Remains up there with the highest of quality. Especially after watching the DVD, with all its original improv material with Brydon and Davis included. I view it as a masterclass in versatility and creativity. Not in the country to watch Director's Commentary but I do get 'Heat' magazine where I am, and it gives it five stars which is good enough for me.

I like Human Remains, but next to Marion and Geoff I find each episode just a little too long. I also found the same with the second series of Marion and Geoff.

Somehow, they don't quite keep my attention for the full 27 minutes, or however long it is - I think they would have made much better 20 minute shows.

Even on the commentary for Marion and Geoff Rob Brydon says at one point that the episodes all seem to run out of steam.

Regardless of that, they are head and shoulders above most telly and I'm nit picking.

Artemis

Going off on a slight Brydon tangent, I never really got into Marion and Geoff - granted I only ever saw little bits of one series, but it seemed less' funny' and more 'interesting' .. should I give it a second look?

Darrell

What imitationleather is about to say makes no sense.

imitationleather

Maybe it's one of those shows that has exactly the same jokes every week...

Or rather, every other week.

Lt Plonker

Did anyone get to see the 'Making Divorce Work' talk? Bloody superb stuff. Tremendously well scripted and some excellent improvisations, as the laptop fucked up, and audience interaction.

I got to ask question to Keith himself! :D Front row seats. What a great evening out.