Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:41:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lost Season 5

Started by Ja'moke, September 15, 2008, 05:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

I know it's very early for this thread but I've just read some casting news for the new season that is quite exciting.

Spoiler alert
Michelle Rodriquez will return as Ana Lucia and Cynthia Watros will return as Libby. Obviously these will be flashbacks (well you never know with Lost), hopefully we find out why Libby was in the mental hospital with Hurley.
[close]

OG Mudbone

Spoiler alert
Wasn't Ana Lucia's character arc pretty much completed when she died? I don't know what else they could do with her. It's probably just a cameo for one episode or something.

We were supposed to find about Libby and her past last season but the writers' strike meant they had to postpone it. Apparently she's very important to the overall mythology of the show...
[close]

Kazuo Kiriyama

Spoiler alert
Probably another one of Hurley's ghosts. I know everyone hated her, but I thought Ana-Lucia was great, even though she killed my beloved Shannon.
[close]

purlieu

I don't know what I expected, but not wanting to read spoilers this thread really managed to disappoint.

I know it's still four odd months off, but do we have dates for the season airing or such yet?  17 episodes, isn't it?

Quote from: purlieu on September 15, 2008, 09:40:37 PM
I don't know what I expected, but not wanting to read spoilers this thread really managed to disappoint.

I know it's still four odd months off, but do we have dates for the season airing or such yet?  17 episodes, isn't it?

Yes, 17 episodes, starting early 2009 (January/February, from what I've heard).

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: purlieu on September 15, 2008, 09:40:37 PM

There hasn't been anything written that's spoiler-y really. Nothing that's surprising or actually gives anything away about plot/direction.

Artemis

I'm ridiculously excited about S5. The last season was the best yet I think - the writers achieved the perfect balance of mythology and action, which has taken them three seasons to get right (the third being the worst, despite a couple of golden moments). Season five should be absolutely brilliant and I can't wait.

Spoiler alert
Apparently we'll also get to see Rouseaux's flashback too, which I've been waiting a long time to see.
[close]

Rev

Alan Dale's recent interview on Digitalspy did make me laugh:

How invested are you in the show? Do you follow the twists?

"Truthfully, no. I know as much as anyone else, but I don't even know as much as you because I got sick of it. It went through a lull in scripts in the third season. At that point I felt like I had watched them wandering in a line through the forests a bit sweaty for the 1000th time. I thought 'I can't watch this anymore'. Then out of the bushes came a black cloud, which grabbed a black man and threw him to the ground, and I thought 'I definitely can't watch this anymore'."

Cheers, Alan.  That'll be Widmore written out as soon as possible, then.

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 15, 2008, 05:57:52 PM

Spoiler alert
Michelle Rodriquez will return as Ana Lucia and Cynthia Watros will return as Libby.
[close]

*sighs, rolls eyes*

And thats what will prevent this show from being among the greatest shows ever. They've done their best to avoid making the same mistake as the X-Files, (dragging it out for financial reasons beyond anyones patience or ability to make sense of it), so they've invented a whole new one, 'trying to have your cake and eat it'. Snap decisions are fine, but you have to live with them afterwards. You can't go back and pick up, "this is the story we wanted to tell before that day when we were all hung over and out of ideas so we killed off a couple of people and went home early", so these flashbacks will (had fucking better) be used to advance the main story. I wait with interest to see how the survivors will learn the salient points from Libby and Ana-Lucia's flashbacks, it better be good.
Because if the start of S05E01 is Libby's flashback, which reveals nothing but stuff that happened to Libby with no bearing on the current situations of relevant (alive) people, and then it cuts back to Sawyer picking his nose and the survivors have learned nothing, I'm going to be mighty fucking pissed off. There's web-isodes for side-stories.

Ja'moke

Spoiler alert
Libby
[close]
is meant to be a very important part to the overall story so I'm guessing it will have relevance.

Artemis

Yes, but a season opener is hardly the place for it; I want serious progression in every episode now. Season three revealed how shit Lost can become when they spend entire episodes going absolutely nowhere. I'm prepared to give them that season to learn from their mistakes, but I'm on zero tolerance now - they've got a hell of a lot to tie up in a short space of time, so time wasting is unforgivable at this point.

Ja'moke

Has it been confirmed that 'her' episode will be the season opener?

I know the first episode is titled 'Because You Left' but I've tried to avoid any other spoilers other than casting news.

whorespital

Spoiler alert
It'll drag on and we will watch until the 7th series because the whole premise of it is rooted in flashback and the flashback is always premised in the root. </Locke>
[close]

I want it to be more politically developed in the upcoming seasons because it is all grounded on conspiracy. Planes, cover-ups, covert privately funded administrations save for the lizards in power.

Ja'moke

Quote from: whorespital on September 19, 2008, 04:15:54 PM
Spoiler alert
It'll drag on and we will watch until the 7th series because the whole premise of it is rooted in flashback and the flashback is always premised in the root. </Locke>
[close]

There's only going to be six seasons.

Ja'moke

Quote from: whorespital on September 20, 2008, 03:41:26 AM
so they say...

It's been confirmed, they reached an end date deal with ABC and the final series is in 2010 which will be season six. They wanted to have an end date so they had a better idea how to pace the episodes and tell the story they wanted in a certain amount of time. Before with no end date in sight they never knew how long ABC would want them to go on for, hence why we got lots of slow episodes, but now with an end date in sight they can move towards that at a much more satisfying pace, hence last season moving much faster and coming off far more entertaining as a result.

mjwilson

Quote from: terminallyrelaxed on September 16, 2008, 02:09:04 PM
*sighs, rolls eyes*

And thats what will prevent this show from being among the greatest shows ever. They've done their best to avoid making the same mistake as the X-Files, (dragging it out for financial reasons beyond anyones patience or ability to make sense of it), so they've invented a whole new one, 'trying to have your cake and eat it'. Snap decisions are fine, but you have to live with them afterwards. You can't go back and pick up, "this is the story we wanted to tell before that day when we were all hung over and out of ideas so we killed off a couple of people and went home early", so these flashbacks will (had fucking better) be used to advance the main story. I wait with interest to see how the survivors will learn the salient points from Libby and Ana-Lucia's flashbacks, it better be good.
Because if the start of S05E01 is Libby's flashback, which reveals nothing but stuff that happened to Libby with no bearing on the current situations of relevant (alive) people, and then it cuts back to Sawyer picking his nose and the survivors have learned nothing, I'm going to be mighty fucking pissed off. There's web-isodes for side-stories.

It doesn't have to be done badly though. You could still have Libby flashbacks with Widmore, Daniel, Abaddon, Naomi. Or she could just turn up post-mortem like Christian and Charlie have.

whorespital

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 20, 2008, 08:58:14 AM
It's been confirmed, they reached an end date deal with ABC and the final series is in 2010 which will be season six.

Sure, besides the industry prognosis, what are your thoughts on this? The very fact the writers fucked with the overall series story-arc to my mind means that will have a good reason to extend the franchise. This possibility is as incredulous as a lost film idea but stranger things happen at sea.

Written back in 06>

...Basically his plan is to do five seasons (that would mean three more) and then do a movie, partially so the studio can't drag the show out longer than it should run

http://www.cinematical.com/2006/07/05/lost-the-movie/

Ja'moke

I guess that film idea was as it says, so ABC couldn't drag it on for longer than it needed to be. But as they happened to reach a deal with ABC for an end date that film is no longer needed.

They've got two seasons left containing sixteen episodes each, probably some double episodes because of the missing three last season due to the writers strike. Hopefully that is enough time to tell their story, I for one was very pleased with how season four went and I know many others on here were too.

Artemis

Absolutely. Season one had me hooked on the premise, despite in retrospect nothing very much happening. Season two had some absolutely cracking moments ('the map on the door' episode, for example) but you started to feel that they were sometimes wasting time a bit. This problem reached a peak in season three, half of which was completely inconsequential, with a two minute bit of juicy stuff thrown in as if to validate each episode. Then they announced the end date (six seasons) and were able to pace themselves, presumably throwing in stuff they were hesitant to before, not knowing how much time they had left - so season four was easily the best season so far, and with what feels like loads more stuff to write, and now a limited amount of time left to do it in, I'm predicting that S5 will be even better. In fact, S5 will probably be considered the best season, as there's bound to be a lot of fall out from fans with the way they end it, however they decide to do that.

purlieu

That's the sad thing, so many fans are going to be pissed off now matter how it ends.

Waking Life

Well, generally the questions are always more interesting than the answers.  It's the whole air of mystery that the show has thrived upon.  No matter how things are resolved, because of all the different theories, speculation and the time taken to deliver, the answer(s) will never quite meet the expectation.

That's not to say there haven't been pay offs, but it's been a little bit at a time, which generally have led to bigger/different questions.  Although the story itself has progressed dramatically since Season 1, it has only served to thicken the overall mystery.

Season 1 - Why did the plane crash?  What's the purpose of the hatch?  Smoke monster?  Rousseau?  Others?  Pirate ship?  Some of those have been answered, but they generally just contributed to a greater question.

I'm not criticising how it stands as a TV programme, as I have been enjoying the ride.  I also appreciate that it has now built up an decent mythology and compared to how I felt when watching Season 3, I think the writers do have a planned structure.  Unlike Heroes for instance.  I'm just concerned it will end up like one of those Twilight Zone episodes where an engrossing, mysterious plot fizzles out with some dubious resolution.  Certainly there will be people who think that their theories would have been better than the actual answers.

Marv Orange

I get less and less enamoured with this show every season. Its all fur coat and no knickers. Moments like Henry checking into the hotel with the name Moriarty OH LOOK HERE IS ANOTHER NAME REFERENCE I AM EVIL MUHAHAHA I MIGHT AS DANCE DISTURBINGLY EVERY TIME I USE A NEW EVIIIIIL PSEUDONYM TO SIGNPOST IT EVEN HARDER involuntarily cause me to say oh fuck off at the screen. That along with the cheap tricks like modulating voices to hide identities and building up non twists like who was the child kate has in the flashfowrd.

Anyway looking forward to it. 

Monkeyman1138

Quote from: whorespital on September 20, 2008, 02:27:34 PM
Sure, besides the industry prognosis, what are your thoughts on this? The very fact the writers fucked with the overall series story-arc to my mind means that will have a good reason to extend the franchise. This possibility is as incredulous as a lost film idea but stranger things happen at sea.

Written back in 06>
http://www.cinematical.com/2006/07/05/lost-the-movie/

From series 4 onwards the show was meant to have seasons of 16 episodes each, a shorter amount than before( although the writers strike kind of messed this up for series 4, making it 14 episodes long, so the last will be 17 each to make up)  , making it so that despite being three seasons rather than the two planned, there would still be the same amount of episodes left. This was a compromise they probably had to make in order to secure an end date from ABC, who probably wanted to keep milking the show for every ounce of cash they could.

ozziechef

New Official trailer has just been released:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4y4FqqjHjI[/youtube]

Artemis

Hmm... it doesn't thrill me, that trailer, I must say. Surely they're not going to go straight from being rescued to going back, are they? I thought that's what the final season was supposed to be about, and the next one about how they reach that decision. That trailer makes it look like they're just going to launch straight into going back to the island, which for me isn't as interesting as exploring how to keep the big secret and adapt to mainstream life. I'm sure it'll be good, but I don't know - that trailer just didn't really do it for me.

Ja'moke

Damn it, the trailer has been removed. Anywhere else I can watch it?

EDIT: Just watched it over at Dark UFO.

Looks good. I disagree Artemis, watching them keeping the secret and try to adapt to mainstream life would probably get boring quick, it may work for a couple of episodes but I think it would soon start to feel like they were meandering around aimlessly again. So just getting stuck straight in to things is fine with me.

Lt Plonker

Old Thrashbarg

I don't understand how they could just go straight from leaving the island to the '6' returning. The forward flashes have suggested that they spent a good while off the island, re-integrating with society. Unless they just skip a significant period of time, most of the season needs to be about the build-up to getting back to the island, with them probably arriving back in the last episode or two. I'd expect that that is what will happen, but the trailer seems to be giving away an awful lot of the season's story-line (i.e. the 'Oceanic 6' all decide to go back and get together with a view to doing so) if that is the case.

Marv Orange

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on October 23, 2008, 11:14:53 PM
I'd expect that that is what will happen, but the trailer seems to be giving away an awful lot of the season's story-line (i.e. the 'Oceanic 6' all decide to go back and get together with a view to doing so) if that is the case.

There was nothing in that trailer that we didn't already know except for a few lines from jack at the end.

Quote from: Artemis on October 23, 2008, 06:47:40 PM
That trailer makes it look like they're just going to launch straight into going back to the island, which for me isn't as interesting as exploring how to keep the big secret and adapt to mainstream life. I'm sure it'll be good, but I don't know - that trailer just didn't really do it for me.

It isnt much of a secret there is an island where bad stuff happens big deal apart from widmore no one else in the entire planet is interested. They're backpackers who thankfully have to keep their mouths shut. The only one who knows more than the rest is ben and he aint gonna be talking.