Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:04:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Metal/Rock Night on CAB RADIO! READ ME!

Started by Monkeyfucker, September 25, 2008, 12:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

November 8th can you attend ?

November 15th
November 15th
RAWK ON BEATCH
Rave music please only thx k pix pls

Monkeyfucker

Glad you made it to listen Trotsky!

Full post mortem coming tomorrow. Just a quick note to say last night was awesome and thanks to everyone who came along and got involved. Lots of lessons learned (believe me), lots of plans for future, more specific shows, and Links coming tomoro for each individual mix and also to download my show.

Tired today . Thanks again for all the participation. Was particularly pleased to speak to Trench and Riffers on skype (along with steamy limousine Kelvin). SHame couldnt fit more skypes in.

Monkeyfucker

my review

Well I need to post mortem Saturday night if that is ok. Prepared quite a bit or so I thought...

Started out with a technical hitch (not being able to connect to start the fucking show) being one of my winamp options was wrongly selected. Queue panic.

Skyped Neil who sorted it out. Started ten minutes late.

About a couple of hours in people started to tell m e they couldnt hear my mic (has mf dropped the mic in jager?). AFter a short while, no sound coming from mic at all - just as I was getting into the swing of things. At approximately half 10 i disconnected so Neil could jump on for me to be able to ring him (and i could explain on air what was going on - mobiles great invention. Also had tried to get a mic off trenchy but Neil said my computer doesnt have a usb thingy. Then arranged for Neil to come to my house. he had no money so i had to work round that. Phone him a taxi for 1115 and put Sirhenrys mix on - (http://www.sendspace.com/file/myvs7m)  once I reconnected. By this stage, nerves in shatters , bewildered at the thought of having to cancel metal night early. So must have spent a good hour trying to arrange a mic. Got neil ataxi for 1115. He appeared with a mic - had four beers and needed a kip (very metal Neil. You made a joke about me being metal going to the bank in my pjs you shit bag! ) Throughout the whole mic saga, I had nothing to do but drink like a bit of a maniac so ended up completely wankered.

Anyway. Neil had told me to wake him up cause Jelly wasnt in. Tried to wake Neil every half hour or hour or so. Kept being told to come back in a  bit.

More mixes, some excellent stuff- Trench metal mix http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BRU94JY7 and Nosleep Stooges mix http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TEGR1V6O  (not forgetting Sirhenrys awesome rock mix earlier). By this stage i had lost track of all requests , music and general goings on and was just too pissed and tired and wanted to go to bed.

Had a great skype with Kelvin about his new band, and a lovely chat with Ffogems - who wasnt listening to the stream so it turned out. I thought this was perfectly acceptable and quite funny. The fact someone wasnt listening to metal night becaus eit wasnt their kind of music - awesome stuff! But then i think people thought the conversation was a bit awkward (i still love you ffogy and wasnt offended at all )

Had a skype with Trench and riffers., Riffers who is decidedly posh in my drunken state (and who had also been cajoling me with jager shots all night, knowing the drunken little tramp I am)

Was getting links sent to me left right and centre and people asking when their requests were being played . Bit flustered, too drunk to co ordinate and to tired to keep track. Plus i hadnt announced half my tracks due to mic failure and the gap of a couple of hours with no Mf.

From about 2am I struggled with completion exhaustion and had sobered up a good bit by this stage (on listening back thats a lie, i was pissed as a runny shit). From when I put Trenchs mix on I was struggling big style to stay awake! Wuss! i know!  *to quote myself - im a bit lost i really dont know what to play - 230. Neils mic doesnt seem to work for me and the vocals are really fucking low! Graaaaarrrrrrrr

Ended up finishing and giving up the ghost at about approximately 520 - after having hosted from 740! LIterally couldnt keep my eyes open to be honest. SOber by this stage and fucking wrecked.

Asked Neil 3 or 4 times if i could get him a taxi, no . Monkey from bank? No. Sure? Positive. Last chance ? No fine thanks. ok getting into bed now so its too late to change your mind. Pull duvet back, half drunk, fucking shattered and stuff. "Lauraaaaaaaaaaaa can you get me some money? " Neils head mustnt have felt too good after the amount of jager and beer i forced down his neck in a short time, like 20 mins. Had to go to bank in pyjamas. Go to bank in rainbow stripey pj bottoms and a Kiss T shirt i customised , and a pair of black fluffy slippers. But i was wearing a bandana so it was ok. Get money and throw it at neil while asking him to lock fron t door. Sleeeeeeeeps.

Thoughts next day...

Conclusions

* I feel i didnt really give it my best and it was a great big slice of fuck up 

* played at least 25-30 requests *announced about 4 due to mic probs) and 3 mixes, but in the madness i forgot about Gradual declines mix - sincere apologies. I did pm you in chat the other night to say sorry but then my net died so I dont know if you replied. It will defo be played next show and I still have all the other stuff ive not used

* Great input from verbys - positive and negative. Some interesting discussion about metal music in the chat room and how "cool " it is/isnt. Very interesting stuff I would be keen to discuss on skype on future shows (in a non confrontational, grown up discussion like way)

* Didnt do enough skypes. Was traumatised by end of night and just cant believe my fucking mic died

* Metal night and rock night has only just begun if yous are happy to get on the bus "ray". Metal and rock are two very similar but yet very different genres. They lead to each other, of course they do. But each style has its own massive story and I found it exceptionally difficult to even try to encompass a small fraction of it. Some people commented it may not have been metal - no it wasn't totaly but to be honest I thought I played a huge range of genres and musical styles. Even if there wasnt as much discussion about the music as id like (lack of skypes, damn you mic), im excited at the interest and enthusiasm it inspired and the buzz in the chat room was awesome. Even if I cant always reply to the chat room I am always reading and laughing along. Whether someone is saying a song is good or shit - its all discussion in my eyes and its all great to read and hear. Theres obviously quite a few metal rock fans in cab - more than I had realised to be honest.

* I hope maybe some new hosts will crawl out of the wood work now. I know Trench went on after m. First, he popped his skype cherry with  me (do you prefer the broken skype hymen?), then he went on and drunkedly hosted. Trench, I demand a copy of that. I need it. Nige, sort me out. I promise not to upload it.

* As much as you can try to prepare for a show, it never really goes to plan! My times for mixes went way over but I had picked out far more songs to start with than I had planned . I planned to start with rock and ease into metal but I dont think thats how it came across. Chaos someone said. Correct!!!!

* quite a few links i missed onsat in the chatroom. Sory about that. The best way to get a request played is drop it over in skype *cabmonkeyfucker), or email lauralaffs@gmail, or pm me the link in chat. SOmetimes I dont get to read all of chat, so I sat and read the whole log tonight . Ill try and pick up those links for next time.

* Great input from verbys. I have two M & S clips put in from other Verbys. Fwogems and GT. Shall i upload those? ONly because theyre someone elses work? let me know

* possible quote of the night from the chat log
Spoiler alert
<LeeVanCleef> I washed my slippers in the washign machine and the bloody tea stain didn't come out
[close]

Conclusion about the conclusion - great listener ship , lots learned , keen for more but dont be hard on me, Im just a girl.I know its only pretend radio, but I care what you lovely fools think. Any constructive crisiticsm is welcome.

Sorry, hope this doesnt seem self indulgent, I just guess i have a lot to say about th matter. I think its good to critique these things.

Making  a hightlight clip for saturday until Nige can hopeully get me th emissing piece and i can upload the full show. Coming soon. All skypes , no ,music -  just banter from skypes, a constant commentary on the neil sleeping situation. The microphone drama. all very exciting.

Gradual Decline

Quote from: Monkeyfucker on November 18, 2008, 01:34:30 AM
i forgot about Gradual declines mix - sincere apologies.

Ahh Shucks, I forgive you MF

bastard

Monkeyfucker

meh. this show was damned from the start! the first part of the show hasnt ripped and the clip ive just spent a couple of hours making sounds hissy. Poo and pants.

Monkeyfucker

highlight, not as bad as i thought!

all talking  &clips sent by verbwhores
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SMJBQTHT

Monkeyfucker

Okay, seen a few comments in the cab radio thread about different metal genres particularly doom. & stoner if i remember right?

I am keen to be taught new musical things, so had the idea of a "mock school" (metal rock). We could do a show every two weeks on (eg) two genres per night? Musical style is so varied in metal and rock, i thought it might be a good idea for the hardcore metallers and it means no one style gets left out

So we could start with a death/black metal night maybe? I dunno, just thinking out loud really. This way also, i dont offend the hard core metallers by playing Steppenwolf - ie - its a clear line of what kind of music will be played that night. People maybe not so into that style can listen from an educational point of view and try to learn about different genres and how to identify that style as well and we could do some sort of time line for each one?

Nice to see a couple of nice comments coming in too about metal night.

To reply to specific comments

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 19, 2008, 02:00:18 AM
I was thinking of making a stoner doom mix myself, although (having little confidence in my own musical tastes) I was worried that it might try the patience of other listeners, so I'm perfectly happy to let you do all the work if you want to.

Claude..... i have the same insecurities to my own music tastes so i totally understand where youre coming from. Believe me. Expecially if there is even the inkling of a negative comment , i really have to try not to take it personally as im the one picking the songs. (thats not a dig at anyone in particular by the way). Other people could do all the work, but for me, a lot of the joy is being involved as cheesy as that sounds. I would strongly suggest try making a mix - even 20 mins one - and see how you get on. YOu dont know until you try . It is preferable for the listener (i think) , to have vocals put in there - but there is no hard and fast rule as i understand it. What ever you are comfortable with . You seem to know a lot about music, so why not share it? I want to learn new stuff! You and thugler could swap mixes and let each other know what yous think, or I am always more than happy to try out new stuff .

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 19, 2008, 02:00:18 AM
I was thinking of making a stoner doom mix myself, although (having little confidence in my own musical tastes) I was worried that it might try the patience of other listeners, so I'm perfectly happy to let you do all the work if you want to.

I think it is preferable to try to get away from compromising musical tastes when it is a specific show. For me, putting on metal rock night was so great as I didnt have any guilt about what i was playing - it was clearly labelled and hopefully did exaclty what was on the tin. So if we did a stoner doom night, people will be expecting stoner and doom i suspect. I imagine the more specific shows may be attended by less but that's ok as everyone who does turn up should have a penchant for that kind of music

Does my idea sound totally lame? I sugested death black as first point of call as i would class them as the main two genres but i could be totally wrong. Maybe its because its more of what I listen to . I dunno. Im still getting to grasps with genres myself to be honest. SO much to learn.

thoughts ? feelings?

trench

Genre nights seem like a good idea, but maybe as a sub-section within a metal/rock show, if you know what I mean. You could take one specific genre and dedicate a few hours to it, have mixes and requests from those who know the genre well, whilst still getting on and playing loads of other metal/rock throughout the night. Or if it was a real sub-sub-genre that doesn't have a lot of bands or whatever you could incorporate about two or three different genres into the show.

NoSleep

I don't know if any Hendrix got played in the Metal night, but his drummer & last surviving member of the JHE, Mitch Mitchell, died that week, and so I think a Hendrix night would be in order in the not too distant future. I will get onto it asap. It would examine the roots of his music and the music (including Metal) that he subsequently influenced (a wide field).

Monkeyfucker

Trench and nosleep, great ideas! i need to think and report b ack on the show within a show, course now youre set up trenchy we could always do a marathon rock metal night...

trench

I'd be up for that, depending on dates and times.

Monkeyfucker

how very specific of you :P

Okay, generally is there a day that could suit you better? Friday or saturday? Then we can take it from there....

trench

Well Saturday nights are going to be best for the most part, depends what way work will be for the next month or so. Also, the computer being situated in the living room complicates matters somewhat. But yeah, Saturdays.

Monkeyfucker

Ok. Is Mrs trench the other occupant?

this could be tricky this time of year actually. Ill se if youre on skype some time over weekend to chat about it.

Anyone else any ideas or input?