Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:29:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The 'Essential' Music CD Exchange

Started by alan nagsworth, September 28, 2008, 05:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

What ho chumleys, recently I've set myself the task of compiling playlists of 'essential' music, each list under 80 minutes long to fit on CDs to hand out to friends, all different genres or styles. I'm really pleased with the results, looking at the lists I can safely say "personally I think these are the artists of [genre] you need to hear before you die."

So I was thinking of incorporating this idea onto CaB in a sort of CD exchange, and because everyone's opinions are different (albeit only slightly in some cases) each CD received will contain something fresh to someone else's ears.

The basic idea is that anyone willing to get involved will make up as many playlists as they see fit (could be just the one if you're not as highly enthused as I am - I've made about 7 or 8) and they must fit on an audio CD. Once you're pleased with your list(s), report back here and tell us what kind of playlist(s) you've made (mine include Instrumental Hip Hop, Rock & Alternative, Upbeat & Party Music, Chilled Electronica among others) and someone else can request a copy of a CD in exchange for one of their own 'essential' CDs.

If it works well enough and progresses nicely, people could also request lists that have not yet been documented, maybe it'll dig some more Whores from the woodwork to get on the task of making this requested playlist.

So is anyone interested? I'll gladly get the ball rolling and send a few out as they're pretty much finished now, just as long as anyone who requests a copy is willing to make their own list in return. So for anyone who wants in, here's a list of the playlists I've made (Feel free to ask for a copy and we'll see if we can make it work...):

Hip Hop
Instrumental Hip Hop
Upbeat & Party Tunes
Rock & Alternative
Chilled Electronica
Slow Numbers (chilled indie/rock stuff)
Noise (Ingenious & Eccentric)

Come on dudes and dames, let's do this thang!

Good idea, Nadge. Is the plan to be sending CDs and stuff around though, like the CD Tree? Sadly, I can't jump into that pool. I can upload an 80-minute compilation though.

I'm in for "French House".

I remember lazyhour (I think) did two compilations: Japan Goes Pop & Japan Goes Wrong and I still play them.

alan nagsworth

I'm sure I could make an exception for you Crabman. :rolleyes:

Nah seriously though, it's more of an exchange of essential music than a CD Tree, any means of getting your favourite music of a certain style into other peoples brains is fine. It wouldn't be a constant chain, just a one-on-one swap by request. The 80-minute thing is just so the CD makers don't feel restricted compared to people uploading...

That said, are we allowed to post links to compilations? Does that over-ride the 'three mp3s per post' rule? If that's the case, I guess it's always possible to do it via PM. Is there some crazy anti-postal service law in China or is it very costly to send overseas?

p.s. I hope others share your enthusiasm, I really want to give this a go. And I would love to hear your French House essentials!

There is indeed a crazy anti-postal service law in China, yes, I'm not quite that cheap that I wouldn't pay to send a weightless frisbee. They'd want to know what was on the disc and blah blah blah. I've had people try to send me CDs before and the pigs just incinerated them upon arrival in Beijing (I imagine). Short answer, they never get through - except weirdly, when I very first arrived and didn't know the law, our very own absent friend mwude sent me some music stuff through which I'd forgotten to bring with me.

I'm not quite sure if the compilation rule overrides the three mp3s per post rule, I'll ask Nelson. As I said, lazyhour did it way back when (maybe pre-rules) but if not, can do by PM anyways, right? Simple enough. I'm compiling as we speak!

Edit: I've just realised I can't receive anyone else's though. Chod scallops. Oh well, altruism it is.

alan nagsworth

Come on you cunts, get stuck in.

I bet one of you called the police on me, you big spoilsports.

lazyhour

I haven't listened to those Japan compilations for such a long time!  I'll have to dig them out when I get home and relive my glory days.

The Plaque Goblin

CaledonianGonzo

OK - I'm in.  I'll do the geographically-specific/patriotically-motivated/small-mindedly-exclusionist:

Scottish Pop - From Punk to the Present Day

It'll be called Caledonia Dreaming and will be a chronological romp through the high roads and low roads of this Simple Minds-producing nation (their early stuff is quite good, you know). 

Be ready in a couple of days and will probably be guaranteed 100% Bis free.

CaledonianGonzo

OK - done (my, that was a fast couple of days).  Divisive as you like:

Tracklist:
Spoiler alert
[close]

I've done a sleeve, but cos I'm a technological dunce I couldn't work out how to associate it with the files.  And, as always, the quibbles will be with what's/who's excluded (wot no Tinseltown In the Rain), but it's a personal selection, hence some really-not-that-essential choices..

PM if you want the link..!

weekender

If I ever get some time, I'd love to do a FOLK ISN'T SHIT mix.  Bump this at the weekend, I'll see what I can do.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: weekender on September 30, 2008, 09:47:26 PM
Bump this at the weekend, I'll see what I can do.

Your wish is my command, marster.

And also to drum up some more business for my own frankly awesome effort...

Vitalstatistix

I'll do one!

I'll be back when I get a good idea!

alan nagsworth

Ah cool- glad to see a few more people up for it! VS, I'm very much interested to see what you conjur up, and weekender I'd also love to hear your essential folk.

If anyone wants a copy of any of my aforementioned mixes, don't hesitate to ask. This seems like it might work better as a free-for-all as opposed to a strict one-for-one exchange and I'm more than willing to send any out free of charge, just let me know. :)

weekender

Hello.

I have made a folk mix, albeit one focussed on folk-rock from the late English 60s and early 70s decades.  In hilarious fashion, I have called it:

"Go Folk Yourself".

It is available from me for free, just PM me your name and address and I will stick it in the post.

Could someone make/keep a list of what CDs are available by way of trade/exchange?

Cheers

weekender

djtrees

In a similar vein to Mr Weekender I have made a mix of folky shit. I was going to do this anyway, but his excellent collection spurred me on, and in a rip off manner mine is called; Folk You I Won't Do What You Tell Me.

It is chronological from the mid 60's-ish to now-ish of mainly women and mainly English folk gubbins. If you want a go on it then send me a P.M.

alan nagsworth

weekender your folk CD is excellent, I'm especially digging that second Fairport Convention song and the song afterwards.. The Strawbs, I think? The singer sounds identical to Fairport Convention anyway. Cracking stuff, cheers! One copy of Nagswerf's Essential Chilled Electronica is on its way to you now sir.

Vitalsratistix holla back wit yo home address boi so I can send your mix over, and get cracking on my reply mix!

Also I'd like to add that my hip hop mix is really rather sexy indeed, any self-respecting hippety hop lover's collection would not be complete without it. Biggin' it up and all that, if you wanna hear the finest soundz in town send me a PM.

Ta for now.

Vitalstatistix

I'll whip it up this weekend hopefully, I've been busylazy

The Plunger

Just wanted to big-up CaledonianGonzo's 'Caledonia Dreaming' compilation. Some great stuff on there, including the mighty Whiteout !

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: The Plunger on October 10, 2008, 08:48:05 PM
Just wanted to big-up CaledonianGonzo's 'Caledonia Dreaming' compilation. Some great stuff on there, including the mighty Whiteout !

Cheers, Plunger.  I'm quite pleased with it meself, as it happens.

Respect, also, for weekender's Go Folk Yourself smorgasbord.  Always good to hear some Incredible String Band.

weekender

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on October 10, 2008, 09:44:48 PM
Always good to hear some Incredible String Band.

A divisive band, even in my own head.  I know that the earlier albums are more concise and should be more enjoyable, but quite frankly I love the silliness of 'Waiting For You' and the whole trip that is 'The Song Has No Ending', from the 'Be Glad' album. 

alan nagsworth

I've decided I like the more haunting elements of folk, as opposed to the joyful hippie ventures it often takes. I love the slow, lilting melodies that sound like they come from the 18th century... well that's the image in my head at least. At any rate, I'm still thoroughly enjoying all of weekender's mix. I've always known I needed to get myself into Donovan, and that time has finally come.

CaledonianGonzo

Heh - I saw Donovan last year, and he was great until about 3/4 of the way through when he brought his daughter on to promote her new album and turned the end of the affair into one big nepotistic plug.

Favourite track:  There Is A Mountain is ace.  I even heard it on the Tannoy in GAP once, which seemed a bit weird.

If there's any appetite, I was thinking of another nationally-themed compilation, this time all that's best and brightest about recent(-ish) Scandinavian music (specifically Swedish, but I wouldn't want to completely exclude the Norwegians or Danes.*)

*Most Scandinavians I know insist that Finland and Iceland ain't part of the gang, meaning that Pepe Deluxe and The Sugarcubes get left on the shelf this time around.

Vitalstatistix

I've finally gotten off my arse to make a couple of mixes.

Doomsday: MF DOOM Essentials - A collection of top tunes from across his different aliases. For me this guy's the best MC fullstop.

Brenner: A Belgian Rock Mixtape - I'm certainly no expert on Belgian music, and this is in no way exhaustive, but there's a group of bands from this country who've made music that has a profound place in my heart.

PM me for the link.

alan nagsworth

Did you guys get my mixes in the post? (Sorry they were a bit late)

If so, what do you think?

I just want to say that Gonzo's 'Caledonia Dreamin' comp is the only thing keeping me from AC boots these days. I haven't listened to much music like this for a good while now, not that every song is ploughing a similar furrow but there is a general 60s-inspired/feel-good rock-pop thing going on with many of the tracks. That's a good thing, it turns out. I've found this style to be fairly uninspiring for me, I couldn't really get into much from the 'Shimmering, Summery...' thread because it seems a bit too derivative/copyist but by picking some of the best bits from across a wide range of bands (most 80s/90s?) this is a cracking selection. I've never listened to Teenage Fanclub or The Pastels before (dunno how) and I'm going to track down some of their albums for sure. I've also now fallen for two Camera Obscura songs, really strong tunes, so I must get theirs too. Also, finding some of the more distinctive tracks a lot of fun, like The Fire Engines and Strawberry Switchblade. Josef K, Sorry For Laughing is probably my favourite of all but I already murdered that one after seeing it in VW's Top 1000. Cheers, Gonzo.

CaledonianGonzo

Cheers indeed, Crabster.  Glad you enjoyed it. 

You definitely good do worse than check out some stuff by the Teenage Fanclub.  Grand Prix is probably their best album, but for a real treat, it's hard to argue with the selection on Four Thousand Seven Hundred and Sixty-Six Seconds – A Shortcut to Teenage Fanclub.  A life without The Concept in it somewhere can never be complete.

The Camera Obscura track is actually a poem by Rabbie Burns (Of A' The Airts The Wind Can Blaw), recorded at the Peel Acres Burns Night shindig.  I was going to put on one of their more essential singles, but I reckoned that if it was going to be a Scottish comp, it'd be appropriate to have the Bard on there.

The Plunger

Weekender's folk cd has a lot of great stuff on it, most of which (actually, all of which) I hadn't heard before. I'm particularly fond of 'I want to see the bright lights tonight', which has inspired me to order a Richard/Linda Thompson cd. Lovely stuff.

Nags hiphop cd arrived during the week (in innovative 'cereal box' packaging) and is most enjoyable. I think he's picked one of the hardest genres to cover in one cd, but he's done a good job. The UK-based stuff near the end wasn't really my bag, but the rest of the cd is aces.

To summarise : good work.

ziggy starbucks

edited