Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:55:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Empire top 500 films of all time

Started by El Unicornio, mang, September 30, 2008, 12:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I've checked and re-checked that list and cannot see Bullitt which is a bloody outrage.

edit - or Papillon.

Talulah, really!

No Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?*

No thanks.

*We love you.

TotalNightmare

These things are designed to enrage.

I can't be arsed to go through it, and my own personal fav film, Ghostbusters, is probably buried somewhere down the arse end of the list.

Still, this list was created via 'write any old bollocks in these 10 spaces' and we'll see what happens.

The bottom line is, these things are never about the 'best' they are "whatever is recent and whatever you have on your DVD shelf thanks to the HMV sale".

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Jemble Fred on September 30, 2008, 07:06:03 PM
I found it to be ... overly flashy.

That's something else that I can't quite understand being used as criticism. As a satirical statement about consumerist society and the superficiality of affluent America, it was meant to be flashy, to the point of ridiculousness. To criticise it for that is like levelling the same criticism at TDT or Brass Eye.

biggytitbo

Pointless as these lists are, it's nice to see Raiders at number 2, as close to a perfect film as was ever made. Too much Star Wars as usual (ie it appears more than 0). Their features is so badly designed you can;t see all 500 on one page and I can't be bothered to look through them all but it looks like the usual suspects. Is there any Laurel and Hardy in there? There ruddy should be!

El Unicornio, mang

I don't recall seeing any. Chaplin's The Gold Rush was the only old slapstick film I saw in there

mothman

biggytitbo

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 30, 2008, 10:44:51 PM
Pointless as these lists are, it's nice to see Raiders at number 2, as close to a perfect film as was ever made.
It's interesting that I felt that way about Raiders then, because I watched it again yesterday, in HD, and I was slightly less impressed. There's still a lot going for it, but it looks quite shoddy in HD, and it generally seems a bit silly and distasteful. In particular I'm thinking about the scene everyone always singles out as brilliant - the bit where Indy shoots the man doing the elaborate sword routine. I watch that now and It makes me feel really uncomfortable, he essentially just murders someone in cold blood. It's not funny, its horrible. It really soured the rest of the film for me. It's also completely out of character, Indy would kill if it was a kill or be killed situation, but he was stood 100 yards from the bloke twiddling the swords it wasn't even a direct threat. He could just as easily have run. Very odd that I always found it so amusing before. It'd be interesting to know what Spielberg thinks of it now, after the films he directed later in his career that treat death with more respect.

CaledonianGonzo

If only there a more recent Indiana Jones thread to discuss this in!

From memory, the beard has never specifically dissed the scene - I think it's still acknowledged as one of the funniest bits of the movie and Spielberg recognises its popularity.

At least, enough so to riff on it in Temple of Doom.

I'd argue about it being out of character.  Essentially, it is the character.  Same with James Bond.  Same with Han Solo.

Did you grow up with Raiders, biggy?  It seems an interesting switch of opinion from a child of the 80s.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Wrong.

It sets it apart from today's bland 12A mush.

The Indy films are silly extractions of B-movies where the lives of bit-part actors in the films were so meaningless their deaths were funny rather than tragic. I think you've just gone soft, like a big marshmallowy old poof.

Far more unnamed random foreigners get bumped off in Temple Of Doom- the gunfight at the start, the mine-chase, the bridge over the canyon. And in the last crusade if you wore a swastika armband you were grave-fodder. Those lives were tossed away with just as much comic effect.

I think the point is that people are trying to kill Indiana Jones, and that makes them dispensible.

What makes far less sense on a humane level is the way environmental disaster movies kill hundreds and thousands of people at a single stroke, then expect you to give a shit about the bland shitty central characters and their mundane pointless attempts to "find" people, that inevitably involves going into somewhere dangerous, and get involved in a rescue operation that would fail/succeed whether they were present or not.

YES. WE'RE TALKING ABOUT MY FILM NARKS NOW. AHAHAHA HAR

biggytitbo

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 01, 2010, 08:05:21 PM
If only there a more recent Indiana Jones thread to discuss this in!

From memory, the beard has never specifically dissed the scene - I think it's still acknowledged as one of the funniest bits of the movie and Spielberg recognises its popularity.

At least, enough so to riff on it in Temple of Doom.

I'd argue about it being out of character.  Essentially, it is the character.  Same with James Bond.  Same with Han Solo.

Did you grow up with Raiders, biggy?  It seems an interesting switch of opinion from a child of the 80s.
Hee I was checking out some old threads and came across this. I always went along with the ho ho consensus over the scene before now, obviously I've turned into a wuss. But watching it yesterday it just seemed really unpleasant, he just murders someone in cold blood with no direct threat to himself. It didn't completely ruin the film, it just soured it for me a bit. Also I disagree about it been I character, I've re-watched the whole trilogy the last few days and on no other occasion does he needlessly murder someone essentially for a laugh, it's always done in direct self defence.

El Unicornio, mang

You probably already know this, but the script had him sword fight the man, but Ford had really bad dysentery that day so they did a last minute re-write so he could finish the scene quickly. Anyway, he's a baddie and would probably stick his sword in Jones's back if he had the chance!

I've got the HD one too, although I'm assuming it's the same as yours, ripped from TV, as the blu-ray isn't out yet.

Santa's Boyfriend

Collectible issues.  Pah!  You can't tell people it's a collectible issue, it's only collectible if demand far exceeds supply.  The fools!

(rushes to shop)