Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:06:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Body on the track...

Started by jimbobsyouruncle, February 05, 2004, 10:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Christ... was on my way to work today from Ealing Broadway and just walking down the steps to the platform when I noticed a lot of the people of the platform suddently react in horror to something in front of them as a train came past... Then I heard a sickening crunch...

and put 2 and 2 together...

Jeez.

Im still reliving the sound in my head, but Im very grateful I wasnt on the platform about 60 seconds earlier mainly due to a decision to buy a guardian on the way in. I feel sorry for the passengers on the platform who saw it all...

One thing interested me though. On my way to the bus stop for alternate transport about 4 police cars, 3 fire-engines and a couple of ambulances dashed past, Im assuming to deal with this incident. Just how many people does it need ??? Im sure people in the street thought a bomb had gone off or something.

Anyway no real reason for posting this, but I felt like telling someone.

elderford

I've just this minute received a text from my ex to inform me that my cat has been put down.

He was only three, he was my big strong boy.

And now I have to sit at work trying not to cry about it.

Krang

I presume a human body, and not a pigeon or something?

Purple Tentacle

Ealing Broadway? That's not exactly high-speed though is it, trains mainly stop there, and tubes START there.

I've worked out that Stamford Brook on the Picadilly Line would be my splatter location of choice. Max speed.

Fucking hell that's horrible, I maintain that people who throw themselves onto tracks are selfish bastards with no regard for the people who's lives and careers they permanently damage.

And I'm sorry to hear about your cat too, elderford, people don't understand how much it hurts unless they own one themselves.

smoker

that's nasty. on my way to work someone had ploughed their car into a set of traffic lights, crumpling the bonnet and making it undriveable. it was just sat there while everyone drove around it

edit: poor old cat. poor old person. poor old traffic lights

Krang

Sorry to hear about your cat elderford.

Ealing Broadway's also on the Paddington-Reading line for mainline rail, but the train chosen for this fuckwits actions, for some reason, was a goods train heading towards London, travelling relatively slowly past the station in comparison to some of the fast buggers that tear past the platform on the other side.

I guess the end result is gonna be the same at 40 or 80mph and regardless its gonna be a while again before I stand anywhere near the edge of platforms at stations.

Just last week I was involved in detaining a some psycho on the train who was trying to strangle a chinese woman. He claimed he worked for the KGB and was on a mission to kill all chinese...

Its a screwed up world we live in...

Matthias

Jimbobsyoueuncle, I fully sympathise... I always just miss the action by 60 seconds or so. It would be nice to see the event for once. I missed a suicide jump by a matter of seconds. I got to see her crumpled remains in the car park, but unfortunately just missed out on the fall. And I missed an incredible event when an old man was crushed under the wheels of a huge lorry. The force took his head off. It's not all bad though, as I did manage to catch a glimpse of his head before a policeman covered it with a blanket. There was stacks of blood, I can tell you.

Elderford, cats are not meant to be carried everywhere. Sometimes you just have to put them down and let them run.

(apologies for cracking a joke at your cat's expense, but I'm a sick bastard. Must be all the time I spend on the net.)

smoker

Quote from: "jimbobsyouruncle"Just last week I was involved in detaining a some psycho on the train who was trying to strangle a chinese woman. He claimed he worked for the KGB and was on a mission to kill all chinese

or you could have inadvertently played your part in a 12 monkeys-type drama, thus negating the whole of existence

steevbishop

Quote from: "jimbobsyouruncle"I'm still reliving the sound in my head, but Im very grateful I wasnt on the platform about 60 seconds earlier mainly due to a decision to buy a guardian on the way in.

Good Christ, that's awful. I mean, just seeing a drunken brawl in front of you can be disturbing enough sometimes (you know, as opposed to on the TV), or looking at the odd pics on rotten.com and such like, but that's something I don't even like imagining. We're incredibly fragile beings and events like that graphically demonstrate it, rocking my very core with horror and fear.

Still...
GUARDIAN SAVES MAN FROM POTENTIALLY MORE GRAPHIC HUMAN-FRAGILITY SIGHT I've got to stop myself thinking about it somehow.

pretty dead boy

this is all well horrible ...
a friend of ours was on a train delayed because someone had fallen on to the tracks.  it reminds me of something plc said on the old board about nearly being knocked off his bike; that there's no chance for final farewells, last words, just that people die, straight away, near enough, without the people they love.  i can't think that suicide hosts a wealth of attractive options but a public and bloody one like throwing yourself in front of a train seems impossibly uninviting.

i've never seen anything like jimbob' said, but it doesn't bear thinking about.  and being told not to look at something makes people more curious.  i think sometimes people are led past the front of the train and told not to look.  is well sad.

23 Daves

Very odd as a train I was on last year was badly delayed due to somebody committing suicide at Ealing Broadway.  But that's by the by...

I actually find the methods people choose for suicide very strange indeed.  If it were me, I'd find the easiest and least troublesome way of going about things, but people do seem to make bizarre artistic statements at the end of their lives.  For instance, it was revealed that people who are suicidal and want to jump off bridges are selective about the bridges they choose - big grand bridges such as the Severn Bridge are popular, but common-or-garden pedestrian/ rail bridges like the Hungerford Bridge are unpopular.  Why?  I mean, if it does the job, what do you care about its architectural merit?  Do you think that relatives will be weeping tears at the funeral saying "It's not just that he committed suicide that bothers me, it's the fact that he jumped off the pedestrian footbridge at the roundabout up the road.  Couldn't he have chosen a nice bridge, with some turrets and an opening area for passing large ships?".  And more to the point, do you think anyone's going to notice or indeed even care?  

I'm betting the rail track jumpers and bridge-jumpers are the people with delusions of grandeur whom life has bitterly failed, whereas the people who slash their wrists or take pills are plain old ordinary folk who are having a hard time but have no unrealistic thoughts about their place in the world, or desire to prove a final point.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "steevbishop"
Quote from: "jimbobsyouruncle"I'm still reliving the sound in my head, but Im very grateful I wasnt on the platform about 60 seconds earlier mainly due to a decision to buy a guardian on the way in.
Still...
GUARDIAN SAVES MAN FROM POTENTIALLY MORE GRAPHIC HUMAN-FRAGILITY SIGHT I've got to stop myself thinking about it somehow.

jimbob, you must have a Guardian angel...

(or maybe a Grauniad angle)

IGMC

hencole

When I was in Moscow traveling along in a clapped out Lada, I witnessed two sray dogs having a fight. There are loads of strays in Moscow so it's a not too uncommon occurance sadly this one ended tragically when a little yappy terror ran up and yapped at this much bigger dog. The dog jumped back in fright, but unforunately it jumped into the path of a passing Police 4x4 and it went straight under the wheels. The image still haunts me to this day of the shock in the poor dogs face. It seemed to survive the expereince, but had huge amounts of blood gushing out of its side as it spasmed on the paverment howling and trying to walk. It can't of survived, but it was sickening site as it wasn't killed outright. The police whilst not on call just carried on regardless probably thinking they had done the city a favour.

imitationleather

I was once on an Intercity train that ran someone over. It was like going over a load of rocks, you felt like the train was about to derail.

We were delayed by over an hour. The bastard.

Timmay

Well, either way, suicide by train is no way to get your life back on track.

tony peanuts

Last time I was in London, about 3 months ago, one of the tube lines was suspended due to "a man under a train".  I remember thinking that was the worst and laziest euphemism for suicide I'd ever heard.

Quote from: "hencole"The image still haunts me to this day of the shock in the poor dogs face. It seemed to survive the expereince, but had huge amounts of blood gushing out of its side as it spasmed on the paverment howling and trying to walk.
Hmm. How very horrible. Proof that life is godless. It's funny that the mention of an ickle doggy in pain struck more of chord with me than some nameless person chucking it all in.

weekender

That's because dogs are nicer than people.  I say that as someone who hates dogs.

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "23 Daves"For instance, it was revealed that people who are suicidal and want to jump off bridges are selective about the bridges they choose - big grand bridges such as the Severn Bridge are popular, but common-or-garden pedestrian/ rail bridges like the Hungerford Bridge are unpopular.  Why?  I mean, if it does the job, what do you care about its architectural merit?

Nah I reckon it's because they don't want anyone they know to see them or their mangled corpse. Think about it, jump off the "local bridge" and get mangled by a train at the bottom and there's a... fair... chance that... I don't know, your mum or one of her friends might walk past and either see you about to do it, or after you've done it. Drive somewhere a fair way away and that won't happen. People won't chose a small, unheard of bridge a fair way away because they won't have heard of it or know if it's suitable for suicide, which isn't true of the Severn/Taymar/Clifton, etc...

Someone told me yesterday  (which is a way of admitting that this might be total bollocks) that stations were using the phrase "delay due to passenger action" as another euphemism for suicide.

(Thankfully today's trip to work by train passed without incident, although there were decisively fewer people on the platform this morning... I wonder why...  There was however a station guy walking along the platform making sure everyone kept behind the yellow line, as if that was gonna stop another potential suicide from getting past.  If it worked then sign that guy to play goalie for England.)

Lewis

My job involves collating all the traffic problems on roads and trains throughout the south-east and it never fails to amaze me how many people kill them selves on the trains / tubes.. I've had 4 already this week. I also have access to over 1,000 cameras across Greater London and get to see some very nasty fatal smashes.

Quote from: "jimbobsyouruncle"Someone told me yesterday  (which is a way of admitting that this might be total bollocks) that stations were using the phrase "delay due to passenger action" as another euphemism for suicide.

No 'due to incident' is suicide, 'passenger action' is someone being a tit, such as pressing the emergency stop or refusing to let the train doors close... in fact, we've got a tit out there right now....

QuoteThe Metropolitan Line has no service between Harrow-on-the-Hill Station and Uxbridge Station in both directions.
This will affect journeys from 19:48 on 06/02/04 until further notice.
This is due to passenger action at Rayners Lane Station.

butnut

Quote from: "Lewis"No 'due to incident' is suicide, 'passenger action' is someone being a tit, such as pressing the emergency stop or refusing to let the train doors close... in fact, we've got a tit out there right now....

Thanks - I can be all smug and knowing next time I hear that.

Is it also true about the 'Mr. Sands' warning meaning a fire or bomb or something? I once heard that in a tube station and I nearly shat my pants. Nothing seemed to happen though, maybe it was a test. Or some bastard was fucking around. I was really paranoid for a few minutes that I was going to die in some nasty way, and no-one was doing anything about it.

Frinky

Quote from: "Lewis"in fact, we've got a tit out there right now....

I have an image of you as a Godlike presence, sitting in a room filled with harsh white monitors, overseeing the ebb and flow of London, ever aware of millions of units of existence, observing how frail human life really is, and maybe pondering creating the odd bit of chaos at whim in order to remind people of this.

I really, really, want your job.

Timmay

Quote from: "Lewis"I also have access to over 1,000 cameras across Greater London and get to see some very nasty fatal smashes.

I love to imagine this is like your 'office', and you have a host of uniform screens with various junctions on it, except for one small inconspicious blue screen in the corner...

Abbie

When I worked for an underwriter investigating insurance claims I would often come across fatal accidents in which a child had died because he or she was travelling in a car on an adults lap.   During a collision, the weight of the adult and the rigidity of the seatbelt coupled with the powerful jolt forward (head towards knees movement) would literally crush the poor kiddy to death.   A reasonably obvious outcome that many people fail to consider.

Anyway, enough of all that.   How about some death with artistic merit....?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/critic/feature/0,1169,1048129,00.html

I didn't get much of a response to this link on the last board.  I'm not sure if it was because people thought it was sick or shit, or both.

butnut

I really wanted to go and see this when it was, but I thought it'd cost to much. Then, when it had finished I found out it was free. Did you go and see it? It looked splendid.

Abbie

Quote from: "butnut"I really wanted to go and see this when it was, but I thought it'd cost to much. Then, when it had finished I found out it was free. Did you go and see it? It looked splendid.

Unfortunately I didn't find out about it until after the event, so no.  Wish I had though.  Boki, Timmy and I went to the Bodyworlds Exhibition in Brick Lane.  I tried my hardest to consider the artistic merit of each "piece" but more often than not just ended up giggling at the dead mens todgers.  Ho Ho Ho.

You can't take me anywhere.

:-)

butnut

I've never seen the bodyworlds thing but I'm pretty sure, with my very grown-up and responsible sense of humour I'd have ended up laughing at the dried up penises (peni?) too.

Don't know how I'd have reacted to the ladies bits 'n' bobs though... probably laughed at them too. I'm mad me, I'll laugh at anything.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Abbie"Anyway, enough of all that.   How about some death with artistic merit....?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/critic/feature/0,1169,1048129,00.html
I didn't get much of a response to this link on the last board.  I'm not sure if it was because people thought it was sick or shit, or both.
In my case, it was simply because I hadn't seen it.  It's fascinating.