Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:24:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Body on the track...

Started by jimbobsyouruncle, February 05, 2004, 10:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbie

Quote from: "Sheepy"In my case, it was simply because I hadn't seen it. It's fascinating.

If you're interested, a book of Metinides pictures has been released http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0954171047/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-0436086-9384444

butnut

Much as I'd like to, I won't be buying this yet - but thanks for the link. I've just spent £15 on a film entirely because a recommendation in the foreign films thread.

God, you bastard Verbwhores have such good taste!

Cerys

This thread has reminded me of the incident a few years ago in which two little girls were hit by a train a few miles outside of Aberystwyth.  They were on a picnic with the parents of one, and they were playing on the track.  The parents had said 'we'll tell you if there's a train coming' ... and then proceeded not to notice when one did.  This is pretty fucking horrific in itself, but the thing that really sticks in my mind is what I was told by a neighbour a few days later.  Apparently one of the girls was decapitated in the collision, and her three-year-old brother had to be stopped from trying to put her back together again.  Three years old.  How the hell do you get on with your childhood after that?  It's possible that the neighbour in question was talking shite, but all the same ... ugh.

Timmay

Quote from: "Cerys"Apparently one of the girls was decapitated in the collision, and her three-year-old brother had to be stopped from trying to put her back together again.  Three years old.  How the hell do you get on with your childhood after that?
S'alright. It's just Lego to him, 'cept bigger, and wetter.

twatloops

Quote from: "jimbobsyouruncle"Someone told me yesterday  (which is a way of admitting that this might be total bollocks) that stations were using the phrase "delay due to passenger action" as another euphemism for suicide.

(Thankfully today's trip to work by train passed without incident, although there were decisively fewer people on the platform this morning... I wonder why...  There was however a station guy walking along the platform making sure everyone kept behind the yellow line, as if that was gonna stop another potential suicide from getting past.  If it worked then sign that guy to play goalie for England.)

I was told a while ago that all that "leaves on the track" nonsense was just a polite way of saying "brains all over the axles".  Grim stuff though.  I had to go and shoot pictures of Mile End tube station the other day after that chap got pushed under a train by a psycho.  

On a seperate note, where I used to work had a tannoy code for various incidents like "Could Mr Strong report to customer services" meaning every chap up for a bit of action come very quickly please.  Nopt very subtle though.  I never got to find out if the call "Could Mr Tciking package-mover come to checkout 6" was in use.

Frinky

Quote from: "Cerys"This thread has reminded me of the incident a few years ago in which two little girls were hit by a train a few miles outside of Aberystwyth.  They were on a picnic with the parents of one, and they were playing on the track.  The parents had said 'we'll tell you if there's a train coming'

How the hell did they explain that one away?

"Yes, we knowingly let our children play on the tracks, I mean, what was the worst that could happen?"

The decapitation bit sounds a bit dodgy, though, that injury is always the cause celebre among gory story traders, isn't it? Obviously you don't want to think about it too much, but when someone is hit by a train moving at speed, they a) (very rarely) get thrown to the side in a broken heap, or b) well, you don't know it was a person till after. Sounds like a bit of a tacky addition. I guess you can imagine the son running round with a few body parts, though.

That sounds all Morris and dark (!!!!111), but it's not supposed to. I just think if that's a fallacy added on, it's a bit tasteless.

Oooh, get me.

twatloops

Quote from: "Abbie"
Quote from: "Sheepy"In my case, it was simply because I hadn't seen it. It's fascinating.

If you're interested, a book of Metinides pictures has been released http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0954171047/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-0436086-9384444

I saw the Metinides exhibition in London a while back.  Strangely compelling.

Cerys

Quote from: "Frinky"
Quote from: "Cerys"The parents had said 'we'll tell you if there's a train coming'

How the hell did they explain that one away?

"Yes, we knowingly let our children play on the tracks, I mean, what was the worst that could happen?"

They got done for manslaughter.  I can't remember what the outcome was.

monkhouse terror

The 3 year old trying to put his sister back together again doesn't sound too unrealistic, when people go into shock they do some kerazy things. Right after Kennedy was shot his wife was reaching into the back seat to get a piece of his brain, she was apparently trying to put his head back together again.

fum

Quote from: "jimbobsyouruncle"

One thing interested me though. On my way to the bus stop for alternate transport about 4 police cars, 3 fire-engines and a couple of ambulances dashed past, Im assuming to deal with this incident. Just how many people does it need ???

Could it be one to deal with each piece?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Cerys"
Quote from: "Frinky""Yes, we knowingly let our children play on the tracks, I mean, what was the worst that could happen?"
They got done for manslaughter.  I can't remember what the outcome was.
Yup, manslaughter due to gross negligence.  Twelve months jail, suspended for twelve months, on the grounds that since their own daughter had been killed as well as her friend, they'd suffered enough.  The friend's father said he was going to take it to the European Courts and/or considering a private prosecution.  I don't know the outcome, suspect it didn't happen though.

BBC clicky.  Further stories can be found by searching the Beeb for george allcock edwards, or indeed the Guardian, which has a rather better (pre-conviction) account here.