Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:47:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"He should go on Dragon's Den"

Started by Neil, October 03, 2008, 08:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Somewhat bizarre happenings on the 'Chris Morris suicide bombers thing' front of late.  I'm still really quite hopeful and optimistic about this, particularly given the involvement of Bain and Armstrong, so let's get the important stuff up here first:

Quote from: WarpFilmNew Chris Morris project on Warp Films slate

£25 to fund and appear in Chris Morris' jihadi comedy....

CHRIS MORRIS JIHADI COMEDY TO BE A WARPFILMS CINEMA FEATURE

Following rumours in the press and online Warp Films can confirm that Chris Morris' comedy about british jihadis is being made by Warp Films as an independently funded cinema feature. The script has been written by Chris in collaboration with Jesse Armstrong and Sam Bain and is now ready to shoot. Production will begin as soon as we are fully funded. To that end we are running a number of investment schemes including donations which give you the chance to be in the film.

mail enquiries to: fundingmentalism@warpfilms.com
Please pass this on to ten people

As mentioned in the above, this news seemingly first surfaced in Popbitch, who said:

Quote from: Popbitch
>> Brass neck <<
       BBC say Airline Plot good, Morris bad?

Chris Morris. Role model for news and comedy
   shows on TV. He has a brilliant new show idea.
   The Brass Eye provocateur has written a comedy
   about a Jihadi wannabe suicide bomber cell
   in the North of England. It's funny and topical.
   The perfect TV show? Well, maybe to you and me.
   To the BBC and C4, the channels we hear he
   offered it to, it's not. They've said no to it.
   Possibly too scared at the subject content?

Did you see the recent "Airline Plot" terror trial?
   The jury didn't convict but on the same day, the
   BBC thought it was appropriate to use their news
   programmes to attack that jury, and put out a
   Panorama show called "The Airline Plot" -
   when a jury had decided that no such plot existed.
   And Morris can't get his show commissioned!

And followed up with:

Quote from: Popbitch
We told you that Chris Morris' terror cell comedy had been rejected by a fearful Channel 4 and BBC. It seems they have a history of this. Muslim comedian Omar Mazouk was to present a mockumentary about misguided suicide bombers for BBC but this was also nixed. He took the idea to a TV network in Denmark instead, where it's getting rave reviews. 

And putting two fingers up to TV commissioners, Morris is turning his Jihadi sitcom into a film. He's got producers at Warpfilm and a distributor. All he needs now is enough money to make the film. Which is where we come in. Popbitch readers donating between 25 and 100 quid to help get the film made will get the chance to be in it. So get out your cheque book and burkha and email: fundingmentalism@warpfilms.com

Chris would not deny or confirm that recruits who sign up will also get a free al-Qaeda explosives handbook.

First Post had a more in-depth report (the following does contain spoilers):

Quote from: First PostChris Morris, the satirist behind Brass Eye, has had his new comedy about a suicide bomber cell in northern England rejected by both the BBC and Channel 4. The take on jihadism wasn't deemed suitable for prime-time audiences.

The production team behind the film was adamant that Morris – who had toured Bradford, Luton, Leeds and other towns in pre-production - wouldn't have offended the Muslim community with his parody. Mark Herbert from Warp Films said: "Chris's research has been meticulous. It is fatwa-proof."

Morris has said that he wanted the film to explore "the Dad's Army side of terrorism" and look at the human foibles of would-be martyrs. In it, potential suicide bombers attend a terror training camp where they argue about honey and get thrown out for smoking. One accidentally shoots another's foot. In Britain, the terrorists squabble over washing-up duties and their leader confuses a gram of triacetone triperoxide, a powdery explosive, for cocaine.

The synopsis cites an incident when real-life terrorist mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed invited a journalist to Pakistan to hear about his role as a ringleader in the 9/11 bombings, and then kept them waiting for two hours while he deliberated over which clothes would make him appear less fat on camera.

There you go then, £25 not only gets you the chance to help fund "Four Lions", it may also potentially give you the oppurtunity to find Morris on-set, and poke him in the chest while repeatedly droning 'when are you doing more radio, eh, you were REALLY FUNNY on radio!?'  That email address again: fundingmentalism@warpfilms.com

Thanks to Tokyo Sexwhale, wargoesbang and Illuminate for the above info.

Mob Bunkhaus

Zaqat being the third pillar of Islam, I shall be giving.

benjula

definately worth the donation, it'll be amazing.

ThickAndCreamy

I will give money, this project sounds amazing to me. Any chance of getting anywhere near the quality of TDT and BE makes my mouth water.

Also, seeing as these are forums made up of Chris Morris fans, is there any chance whatsoever of getting an interview with the man Neil? I would think he at least visits this site at times and obviously knows about it. I know he is nigh on impossible to get interviews with but if we are all going to donate money for the project an interview wouldn't be too much of a problem for a short interview about it and about him.

Go Christopher

Glad the coverage is spiraling for Morris. Man I'd pay even if not appearing in the film. Considering I'm in Australia it's looking like I'll just have to...

Pylon Man

keir

STOP PRESS!

We've had some good funding news which means we won't be asking you to back your generous offer with hard cash.

The huge surge in online support may even have helped cause this shift in fortune. Either way your encouragement has been a spur to action and hugely inspiring.

And of course you will still have a chance to be in the film.

watch this space...

CM

Film4 now funding it

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/2008/09/morris_terrorist_comedy_set_for_cinema.html

Peter Davies

This isn't really relevant, but when are you ever gonna upload the articles on Morris again? its said "coming soon" for such a long time now, how hard is it to actually just upload some articles? why don't you just get on with it?

and stop all this shit about "you used to be REALLY funny on radio" he's been REALLY funny on tv since 1994

rudi

How could you refuse such a polite request?

TurnipCrusader

STOP PRESS!

We've had some good funding news which means we won't be asking you to back your generous offer with hard cash.

The huge surge in online support may even have helped cause this shift in fortune. Either way your encouragement has been a spur to action and hugely inspiring.

And of course you will still have a chance to be in the film.

watch this space...

CM

jason kenny

You could put out those hanging nets with bird feed in them to hang in trees. They seem to go down very well. You can get them in all hardware stores.

creeseree

stimulating and educational, but would be suffering with something more on this topic?

Pog Mahone

If Chris can't get financing in the UK, maybe he can find some sympathy and deeper pockets in North America?  Anyway, after Brass Eye, why oh WHY has Chris never taken advantage of the land of the free, the home of the brave, the source of the most gullible and self-absorbed celebrities in the world for an even more successful follow-up?  There is a positively bottomless resource of naive fruit ripe for the picking in the USA to any premise or invention the brilliant Mr. Morris chooses to hurl at them.  (Forgive the mixed metaphors there!)  The dreck within local news across America alone provides fodder for decades!  Even the hypocritical piety of the self-appointed national watchdog Michael Moore is increasingly cruising for a bruising, and there is NO time like the present to best him at his own game while the iron is hot and while Chris is seemingly on hold for the financing for his other project.  Can Chris walk and chew apple-pie flavoured gum at the same time?  Here's his chance via the following link: michaelmoore.com/words/message/index.php?id=245