Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:51:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The end of Orbital

Started by imitationleather, April 24, 2004, 06:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

From NME.com.

QuoteORBITAL are to play their last ever gig headlining the OTHER STAGE at this year's GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL.

After 15 years together, the dance duo - brothers Phil and Paul Hartnoll will call time on the outfit with a performance at their spiritual home on June 27. Orbital played memorable shows at the festival in 1994, 1995 and 2002.

Orbital, who will also play a show at London Brixton Academy on Friday June 25, releases their last ever LP, 'The Blue Album', on June 21.

Speaking on the band's official website loopz.co.uk, Paul Hartnoll said: "I think we feel that Orbital has run its course. We're both pursuing different avenues with our music. And we've been sat, as brothers, in the same room for 15 years now–and studios are always confined spaces–I think it's time for a change."

He added: "It's nice to know that we're finishing, it's not many bands that do that. They tend to just fade away. And it's nice to have our last gig at Glastonbury. It's gonna be a party set, a best of Orbital. We're not gonna sit there and try and promote the new album. I think if we're gonna do a last gig we should do distilled set of all the best stuff we've done. And that's what we're gonna do, play all the stuff that's stuck around for all this time because they are the favourite ones."

Boo!

I'm actually rather sad about this, because I'm quite the Orbtial fan. Unfortunately the article gave no details of a helpline us distraught fans can ring...

Their last LP, 'The Altogether', was pretty slated by the press and fans alike, but I think it's really great. Hopefully 'The Blue Album' will be similarily good and a fitting high for the brother Hartnoll to end on.

mr rou-rou

aww,

it will be a top buzz at Glastonbury, oh for a belly full of pills, all the fans giving the love back, I feel quite weepy.

I was never a massive fan but that's just because I skirted their music and not because I didn't like it, a best of tour would be perfect for the likes of me, I've seen them play the Manchester Apollo and it was a top night.

I look forward to the final album and tuning into the telly to catch the farewell gig :(

king mob

blue jammer

That's good news I reckon.

The Altogether was somewhat of a demise for them anyway, and they shouldn't have bothered to put out 'work' until they were finished for good (IMO)

It's been on the cards for some time though, especially since Middle Of Nowhere. They'll do well on their own I reckon, be interesting to see which direction(s) they go in.

I'm glad they won't promote the new album;

Quote"It's gonna be a party set, a best of Orbital. We're not gonna sit there and try and promote the new album. I think if we're gonna do a last gig we should do distilled set of all the best stuff we've done. And that's what we're gonna do, play all the stuff that's stuck around for all this time because they are the favourite ones."

Wise words.

Best track they ever did, Belfast.

:)

european son

i've not seen them before, but am well chuffed that i'll get to see their last gig, especially since i know that all the annoying people at Glastonbury won't be there, as Muse are headling the main stage then.

Gamma Ray

Wow, maybe I'll go see that. I love Orbital, though I haven't kept track of their output since Insides. By all accounts it rather tailed off, so perhaps it's a good thing that they're calling it a day, so that their fands will have happy memories rather than the ignomy of watching them 'fade away' ...

I was never a big fan of dance music back in those days, it always seemed so robotic and inhuman. Orbital on the other hand managed to imbue their music with real feeling ... music that you can feel rather than just listen/dance to, and especially in their genre that's quite an achievement. Still, just as when QOTSA 'split', so long as they carry on making music it doesn't matter what they call themselves, does it?

Quote from: "mr rou rou"it will be a top buzz at Glastonbury, oh for a belly full of pills, all the fans giving the love back, I feel quite weepy.

... so lets hope so, eh? It's a lovely thought.

Crazy Penis

I don't know what to put because I'm not an Orbital fan, but when I saw the thread title I thought "aw, bugger"

Snivilisation was good.

imitationleather

Anyone thinking of going to the London gig?

I really want to see them before they split.

falafel

Well, I'll see them at glasto. I did like 'The Altogether', as well, particularly 'Waving Not Drowning', and the cover of the 'Doctor Who' theme that they always did so well live. Here's hoping they play that, 'The Box', 'Belfast',  'Chime', 'Satan, 'Style', 'Halcyon+on+on' and maybe even 'Kinetic' although that doesn't really count.

mr rou-rou

£25 per ticket before booking fee and registered mail because of the cost of the tickets, add about another £5 at least

so their last gig at Brixton which will rightly sell out, will also pay for their escape to Rio, Hawaiian shirts and comically bloated suitcases spilling bank notes out on to the runway as they board the Orbital Leer Jet, one final two fingered salute to blighty and then the clink of margaritas.

how the other half live

imitationleather

25 quid! I don't care if that is their penultimate gig, it still seems rather pricey to me. Pah, the price doesn't even include ecstasy...

It hasn't sold out yet, and I can't see it selling out for a while. Should I stay or should I go? Stay, probably.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Oh crap. I'm glad I checked further down. Yeah that's pretty bad news for the whole dance industry. Let's hope they'll forever be remembered as pioneers. Get the Work album if you're new to Orbital. It's cracking, and although there are some tracks which should have been on- it's pretty much the cream of the crop.

QuoteTheir last LP, 'The Altogether', was pretty slated by the press and fans alike, but I think it's really great.

Me too. Not all their albums have to sound like Insides.

Lumiere

Quote from: "falafel"'Halcyon+on+on'

best song they ever did...

and, btw, for whoever said QOTSA have split...they haven't.