Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:17:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs you could imagine being covered successfully by other bands

Started by 23 Daves, October 16, 2008, 10:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

23 Daves

I frequently find that there are some songs out there that are just begging to be covered in a different style by another artist, and I find myself getting frustrated that it hasn't happened yet.  Take David McWilliams' "Days of Pearly Spencer", for instance:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4VDS8uArR0A

This was covered by Marc Almond, but for my money it should have had a huff-and-bluster rock version done by the Manic Street Preachers.  In terms of the angst-ridden, wordy homeless-person-used-as-possible-metaphor-for-the-end-of-the-human-race lyrics, it hits the spot, and there's something about the melody as well that's very melancholy in a chest-beating way.

Does anyone else have any requests that are never likely to be fulfilled?

Tokyo Sexwhale

I'd like to hear Mogwai cover "Telstar" - there's a bit in their Government Commission version of "Stop Coming To My House" that sounds to me like it's influenced by it.

sparklewhore

I'd always thought that the Go-Betweens 'You'll never find it again' should have been covered by Luke Haines of the auteurs and he actually did on a recent tribute album to them.  Not heard it though.

Jemble Fred

I came up with a FANTASTIC tracklist for a children's charity album about a decade ago, with bands covering children's songs and show themes. It's a very dated list, but I still remember, and would like to hear:

Pulp: Rentaghost
Blur: The Pink Panther Show Theme
Oasis: Jossie's Giants.

wherearethespoons

Roots Manuva does Ghostbusters.

Quantic doing the Grange Hill theme.

Cack Hen

dunno why but i've always wanted to hear muse cover take on me

alan nagsworth

Oi, I've touched upon this idea before, like a delicate flower, and here I am trying to blossom but people keep treading on me and using the wrong type of fertiliser.

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=19288.0