Author Topic: Songs you could imagine being covered successfully by other bands  (Read 450 times)

23 Daves

• Break a leg!
    • Left and to the Back
I frequently find that there are some songs out there that are just begging to be covered in a different style by another artist, and I find myself getting frustrated that it hasn't happened yet.  Take David McWilliams' "Days of Pearly Spencer", for instance:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4VDS8uArR0A

This was covered by Marc Almond, but for my money it should have had a huff-and-bluster rock version done by the Manic Street Preachers.  In terms of the angst-ridden, wordy homeless-person-used-as-possible-metaphor-for-the-end-of-the-human-race lyrics, it hits the spot, and there's something about the melody as well that's very melancholy in a chest-beating way.

Does anyone else have any requests that are never likely to be fulfilled?

Tokyo Sexwhale

• When I get that feeling, I want Sexwhale healing
Re: Songs you could imagine being covered successfully by other bands
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 11:52:47 PM »
I'd like to hear Mogwai cover "Telstar" - there's a bit in their Government Commission version of "Stop Coming To My House" that sounds to me like it's influenced by it.

sparklewhore

• i know i'm losing you
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:11:20 AM »
I'd always thought that the Go-Betweens 'You'll never find it again' should have been covered by Luke Haines of the auteurs and he actually did on a recent tribute album to them.  Not heard it though.

Jemble Fred

• ... And I ain't ashamed.
    • 100% BALLS
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 11:15:48 AM »
I came up with a FANTASTIC tracklist for a children's charity album about a decade ago, with bands covering children's songs and show themes. It's a very dated list, but I still remember, and would like to hear:

Pulp: Rentaghost
Blur: The Pink Panther Show Theme
Oasis: Jossie's Giants.

wherearethespoons

• account closed
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 11:28:30 AM »
Roots Manuva does Ghostbusters.

Quantic doing the Grange Hill theme.

Cack Hen

• HAI ILU
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 12:24:10 PM »
dunno why but i've always wanted to hear muse cover take on me

alan nagsworth

• my CONDOLENC
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 04:36:02 PM »
Oi, I've touched upon this idea before, like a delicate flower, and here I am trying to blossom but people keep treading on me and using the wrong type of fertiliser.

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=19288.0