Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:09:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Things That People Make

Started by Frinky, April 25, 2004, 01:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rubbish Monkey

nice thread.

theres a documentary on bbc4 right now about the Delorean story. Interesting, but umm not too relevent. (probobly been mentioned in the radio times thread, anyway its quite interesting)

mrpants

I was at Shepperton about 6/7 months ago and got talking to the guy who made a lot of the props and models for Alien.  At the time he was doing some concept models for some of the stuff in Alien v Predator.  I wish I could remember more about what he said to me about the original Alien movie.  He was telling me all sorts of stories about what things are made out of.  Erm... come to think of it I can't remember anything about what he said except that everyone though Giger was a bit strange...

When I spoke to him he was making a concept model of the Alien Queen's harness thing that the predator's keep her locked up in (for the AvP movie).  It was made out of a toy gun, a toy tractor and various springs etc.  It will be interesting to see if you can spot these elements in the filmed version; although it was pretty hard to tell what the individual components were even in the model stage.

He also worked on the Red Dwarf tv series models and is currently bugging Grant/ Naylor to release toys of the ships.  He had already made some prototypes which were amazing.  He had a Starbug type ship with a detachable cockpit that turned into a sort of caterpillar tracked scout vehicle.  The quality of craftmanship was amazing, especially as you knew that a lot of it was at some point just bits and bobs from b&q etc.

It's a shame I can't remember more because it was fascinating talking to this man.

Frinky

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"bbc4 right now about the Delorean story.

Supposed to be in that, I was. Gits.

MrPants - great story - thats exactly the kind of thing that gets me moist (all due respet, and all...). I'm very jealous, actually - I never get to meet anyone doing this professionally!

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "Frinky"(And Plonker, looky what is on display just around the corner from it - clicky)

Yay! Good 'ole Servo.

The thing about the reproductions of those puppets, is that everyone knows what they are made out of and, consequently, gets their own bits and bobs and make exact duplicates of the originals. Although, some parts are still very hard to track down.

Post to follow, when I get time.

mr rou-rou

Frinky

Don't pull that face! That's ace.

Well, actually, no, it's not. Still, the texturing and markings, as well as the fittings, are pretty stunning.

On a Star Wars/car note, the original Snowspeeders were made by Reliant, who made the 3-wheeled Robin.

So there you go.

Smackhead Kangaroo

If only it had been made out of a Delorean.....