Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:47:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The last film you watched

Started by wherearethespoons, November 10, 2008, 01:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadman97

Yeah, another one here who last watched Saw V- what a load of old shit. The series should be referred to in film courses as a way to utterly fuck-up a promising franchise. It all just feels a bit "well I'll be fucked, it was all Jigsaw's sister-in-law who we last saw in a Starbucks for three seconds, four bastard films ago".

Blimpkin

Quote from: Marty McFly on November 13, 2008, 06:15:12 PM
that's what I thought too.

Yeah I see parts of that, but still it seems like I am missing something.  I'll watch it again.

El Unicornio, mang

I watched Iron Man last night and was a bit disappointed. I don't know if it's just that I'm not too keen on the character of Iron Man, but I found it quite boring. The first half in particular was pretty dull, then it got quite good when he was testing out the proper suit, and the last fight was decent but overall I was quite underwhelmed, although it might be because I had heard so much good stuff about it. Still, a decent bit of light entertainment.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Aye there is something a bit off with Iron Man. It's less than the sum of its parts somehow, which is a shame as the parts were all very good.

Deadman97

And since my last post I've watched Max Payne- not sure if it counts though, because I turned it off after an hour because it's the worst film I've ever seen in my life.

Re-watched The Third Man this morning.  Made the mistake of watching this film previously as part of my James Bond marathon (I watched all of the James Bond films in order not so long ago), it easily outshone the best of them.  For me, it's up there with Manhattan and Dr Strangelove, where everything about it is pretty much perfect.

wherearethespoons

The Third Man is one of my favourites. Stunning to look at with a wonderful script and one of the best pieces of theme music.

Emma Raducanu

I watched Dead Man's Shoes the other afternoon and thought it got off to an amazing start; I loved how easy it was for Richard to mess with the thugs and especially enjoyed the introduction to Sonny and his encounter with Richard. When it got properly violent however, it seemed to lose its touch and it was too easy to become blasé about their fate. Still, it was pretty convincing stuff, mixed nicely with moments of gentle comedy. I can't wait to watch Room for Romeo Brass, when I can get my hands on it.

tarmac

These comments about Eden Lake piqued my curiosity so I gave it a twirl.  I wasn't expecting much so I wasn't disappointed, in fact I thought it was alright/pretty good.  Can't say I actually enjoyed it though - found it very difficult to watch and the ending was a bit 'orrible, (and is still troubling me now a little bit).  I always find British films closer to the bone anyway - primarily the familiar locations and stereotypes.  (Although stupidly enough I also find it easier to sympathise and connect with British characters.  Not sure if that's common or if I'm just a giant racist.)

Dunno which side of the fence I sit on regarding the hooligan characters.  They were cheap stereotypes, but I think angry chavs are the most believable cheap stereotypes and that's from first hand experience, not just a knee-jerk reaction based on tabloid horror stories.  As a fully grown, slightly ugly man who generally keeps to himself and doesn't act or dress provocatively, I've heard some pretty hateful things spouted at me from similar groups of youngsters – and that's just for walking along the street minding my own business.  If I ever actually seriously pissed off any of the young gentlemen I've exchanged words with in the past, I don't doubt some of them would be perfectly capable of at least causing me some right nasty harm.

What else have I been watching...

After many years of hearing it was QT's weakest flick and not to bother, I finally gave Jackie Brown a go the other night.  A lot slower compared to his other stuff but still a cracking film and much better than the toss he churns out nowadays.  If you've not seen it, gopher I say.

Also watched Brick.  I had really high expectations about this and I was pretty let down.  It's a film noir set in a high-school; sounds like a good premise, but actually watching the characters  conduct simple conversations in contrived metaphors, like what they do in noir films, was slightly ridiculous and annoying.   In the end it felt as if the characters themselves were acting, almost pretending to be grown-ups. It was a bit like watching a production of Bugsy Malone.  Also found it very slow, I was very seldom left anticipating the next scene and even felt like turning it off at a couple of points as I was bored out of my skull.  Having said that there's still a lot to like about the film; I'd genuinely hate my crap taste in films to put anyone off seeing it as I'm sure I lot of people would love it, but it wasn't really my cuppa.  The main lad looks a little bit like Chris Morris.  Two hours of watching a young Chris Morris getting thumped and solving crimes in a beige jacket.  I suppose that has a surreal sort of appeal. 

Quote from: tarmac on November 15, 2008, 05:09:53 AMor if I'm just a giant racist.)

No, that was a James Stewart film

EDIT: misread, plz ignore

samadriel

Quote from: tarmac on November 15, 2008, 05:09:53 AM
Also watched Brick.  I had really high expectations about this and I was pretty let down.  It's a film noir set in a high-school; sounds like a good premise, but actually watching the characters  conduct simple conversations in contrived metaphors, like what they do in noir films, was slightly ridiculous and annoying.
Yeah, I thought 'Brick' was a lot better when it was simply the story invoking the noir elements (and even then the stuff crowbarring the school principal into the 'chief of police' role didn't work), with the kids being a bit more natural aside from a few tics that push them into living out 'noir roles'; when the gumshoe kid is straight-out calling the ladies 'dames' and so on, it really flops.  Shame, 'cos I liked parts of it quite a bit.

I liked Jackie Brown a fair bit too -- the modern Tarantino stuff has certainly had me missing it, anyway.

Ginyard

Quote from: Blimpkin on November 12, 2008, 10:52:48 AM

But I am watching Jacobs Ladder tonight, any good?

That is the one and only film that has ever left me feeling deeply depressed. I can't remember much about it now as it was a long time back when I saw it but it was so bleak and distrubing that I felt like I was living in a fog of doom for the next few days. It didn't help that it was in bleakest january and I watched it on a day I was lying ill in bed.

I watched Deception last night, starring Ewen Macgregor and Hugh Jackman. A good portion of it was very watchable and decent enough quality (some dodgy lines aside) until the last 20 minutes when it descended into something so laughably crap I can't believe two such decent and intelligent actors thought the script was worth filming. It is only worth watching because Jackman is excellent throughout. MacGregor, who I'm a big fan of, just sounds like Brains from Thunderbirds with his semi-stammering pseudo-american accent.

A couple of nights back, I watched Taken with Liam Neeson who played a character blessed with the humour of Qui Gon Jinn. As that was the case, it just felt like watching Qui Gonn without the robes and a gungan sidekick. Basically, its about young women being abducted into sex slavery...a subject that should've given me a darkside boner. Had the lead been played by Robin Askwith, and Kenneth Williams had been abducting large breasted ladies for harem-style laughs I feel it would have been a far greater success. As it didn't, I mark it failure.

I really want to watch 'Jacobs Ladder' now!

Watched Almodovar's 'Live Flesh' which isn't one of his greatest films, but is very entertaining.  It is an Almodovar film though, so it's better than most films around and features his usual faces.  Comes as part of the 5 film collection boxset which can be picked up dead cheap from most places - if you haven't got it, get it!

yesitis

i was actually gonna watch live flesh earlier today. instead i watched about 3 hours of tom and jerry.

i just finished watching animal factory with willem dafoe and edward furlong, directed by steve buscemi. it was pretty good. end of review. 

wheatgod

I watched Transformers last night, on HD-DVD.

Good god I'm a twat.

no_offenc

I watched The Mist earlier.  Wasn't bad at all.  Fucking over-the-top bleakness at the end, though.  Yikes.

Clone Army

By god is Deadgirl a shit film.

The most obnoxious American teen protagonists you could imagine find a female zombie in an abandoned sanitarium and of course decide to turn her into a sex slave. That moment you blinked? That was the "descending into madness" subplot right there.

Add your own metaphor or message about rape here because there isn't one in the film. According to the gatemaster this film had people "walking out" because it was "really gory". No, it had people walking out because it was a humourless episode of Dawson's Creek.

Imagine an especially boring episode of Urban Gothic stretched out over far too long.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

24hour party people, definitely up there as one of the best films this country's ever produced imo. Manages to come over as gritty and 'down to earth' without being unnecessarily remorseful and mawkish. No mean trick.

Probably the greatest thing Coogan has ever been attached to as well.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Btw if youre after a no-brains action romp i dont think you can go far wrong with 'The Island'. Came out a couple of years ago without making much of a noise, but its infinitely better than alot of the Marvel travesties currently doing the rounds.

Vitalstatistix

Quote from: Clone Army on November 17, 2008, 12:29:31 AM
By god is Deadgirl a shit film.

It's been hyped up to fuck by the Twitch crowd aswell. I thought it was a decent premise, but handled pretty poorly.

Spoiler alert
How many times do we need to see a character go into the abandoned building basement, only for TJ to mysteriously emerge from the back, clearly just finished with a hardcore session of rape. It's not scary or suprising, he's been fucking living there since they found the girl ffs.

It's insulting really, to suggest all teenage boys would act like that.
[close]

wherearethespoons

I couldn't sleep so stuck on The Attack of the 50ft Woman - it's not so much an attack, more of an anticlimax.  It's a film soap opera really. A lot of the characters just take the sight of giants in their stride. It's great to hear William Hudson's character just casually say to his mistress (Yvette Vickers) that he'd already explained everything on the phone. Instead of smiling, she should have been shouting, 'What the fuck do you mean a 30ft man?  Are you fucking mental?  I've heard some shit in my time...'

The over dramatics are great though and make for a superb comedy film - unintentionally obviously.  In fact, the only things that aren't funny are the jokes.  All in all - top stuff.  Plus, I have a crush on Allison Hayes now.

boxofslice

I watched Crank last night round a friends house. It's completely dumb and has no real logic to it but it's really entertaining in a turn your brain off sort of way. I understand they're making a sequel with Statham in it, not sure how that's going to work though.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I found Crank disappointing. It had the makings of a trashtacular classic, but the action was really poorly done which just sucked the fun out of it.

I saw the adaptation of Catch 22 this morning, I must now read the book.

TotalMink

I thought Crank was absolutely hilarious and utterly stupid at the same time but agree they could have gone all out bonkers with it.    I saw Deathrace last night which was like a movie version of the game wipeout (with cars).  It was also trash but again - i totally enjoyed it and havent seen an utterly stupid but compelling action movie like this for a long time.

boxofslice

It does appear to be Statham's stock-in-trade making dumb action films that make no sense. Transporter 3 comes out in a few weeks.

Glebe

Hitchcock's Young And Innocent. Good stuff, somewhat overlooked.

Ginyard

Quote from: boxofslice on November 17, 2008, 03:09:17 PM
It does appear to be Statham's stock-in-trade making dumb action films that make no sense. Transporter 3 comes out in a few weeks.

Thinking of Statham, has anybody seen The Bank Job yet?. I watched it a couple of weeks back and thought it was a terrific movie. I saw his name in the titles and expected Transporter-style enjoyable dumbness and was pleased to see it had quality and style.

wherearethespoons

Quote from: Ginyard on November 17, 2008, 04:44:32 PM
Thinking of Statham, has anybody seen The Bank Job yet?. I watched it a couple of weeks back and thought it was a terrific movie. I saw his name in the titles and expected Transporter-style enjoyable dumbness and was pleased to see it had quality and style.

I hated it. I saw it at the cinema because of the writers but I wasn't impressed. I didn't find it particularly interesting or funny. I've tried to block most of it out to be honest, hence only writing a couple of lines.