Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:04:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

whats the point?

Started by Divnee Gan, April 25, 2004, 11:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Divnee Gan

whats the point of building up a music archive when theres so much quality music availabl efor download off soulseek etc.?

Divnee Gan

Ok. I didnt express myself  properly then. but what i'm saying is that in a couple years  when everyones cxonnected at about 2Mbps you won't need to store track on hard disk.

Divnee Gan

Oh shit. forgot that fact taht it doesnt matter how fast you are connected you still need to get the tracks from somewhere.

mr rou-rou

just like books will vanish because of the knowledge ziggurats with their neon signs 'Ministry of Googling'

I've just set up http://www.audioscrobbler.com/ which databases your mp3's to build a listening profile, one of the whores posted it in the cool links thread and I thought I'd have a dabble.

We touched upon this before where people with fast connections would download a song rather than walk downstairs to find it in their collection or go out to the car to fetch it from the CD changer,

give me convenience or give me death

Divnee Gan

nice one. im trying it out now.

Divnee Gan

How does it work then? I'm thinking it will take a bit of time to work out what I want to listen to, then offer me stuff.?

mr rou-rou

the one I'm using is a plugin for winamp and if you play 50% of a song it caches the track name and then after a few of them if sends the audioscrobbler database your track names, and these tracks appear in your own personal page as well as data for the superduper database, the idea being you can follow various trails and maybe end up finding people with similar musical tastes and look at what they are listening to,

I thought I'd try it for a bit, there's a guy who's listened to one track by the Smiths over 700 times! fuck me

edit: in answer to your question, it's not an advertising opportunity or RIAA spy thing (yeah as if we'd know) - the FAQ's says it an open source database and people are welcome to experiment with the data, if also says that it has no idea if you are playing a legal or illegal mp3 and it doesn't want to know

european son

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"
I thought I'd try it for a bit, there's a guy who's listened to one track by the Smiths over 700 times! fuck me

yeah, but i'm not even plugged into that thing!

Divnee Gan

I like the smiths but 700 times seem slightly obsessive to me. Ha ha.

Divnee Gan

Maybe its Skynet taking over!

mr rou-rou

there must be a Smiths song I've heard in the hundreds, but that's listening from 198? to present date, not a year on the internet, I know its apx 2 per day but still that's a lot of Smiths, I hope s/he knows the words.

Divnee Gan

s/he probably a sickening wreck by now.

joFFeman

yes i made a post about audioscrobbler but few listened. damn shame. join the CaB group, bitchnuts, all ye.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "joFFeman"yes i made a post about audioscrobbler but few listened. damn shame. join the CaB group, bitchnuts, all ye.

Have done. How could I say no, seeing there is a Mac version?

mr rou-rou

got a link to the cab group then?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: "Divnee Gan"Oh shit. forgot that fact taht it doesnt matter how fast you are connected you still need to get the tracks from somewhere.
Looks like you answered your own question.

hoverdonkey

Quote from: "Divnee Gan"Ok. I didnt express myself  properly then. but what i'm saying is that in a couple years  when everyones cxonnected at about 2Mbps you won't need to store track on hard disk.

I have 2Mb connection but that don't mean shit if the person I'm downloading from has a slow connection. I rarely do it now to be honest. Usually just to try something before I buy.