Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:47:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Primary School Hymns

Started by The Boston Crab, November 15, 2008, 06:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

no_offenc

Quote from: NoSleep on November 17, 2008, 03:31:22 PM
I do remember we were rehearsed Benjamin Britten's Old Abram Brown, which culminated in a visit to a large hall filled with kids from all the other local schools all performing this together: what a great thing to be part of:

Hah, we did that back when I was a kid in the Liverpool Philharmonic Youth Choir.  Assuming it's a round, anyway.  I was there from the start and because we were all like 9/10ish at that point we only really did simple stuff like that.  I fucked it off when I was 15 and sort of regret not moving on to the adult choir, a bit.  I totally miss the whole thing of singing with a huge group of people.

NoSleep

Quote from: no_offenc on November 17, 2008, 04:29:42 PM
Hah, we did that back when I was a kid in the Liverpool Philharmonic Youth Choir.  Assuming it's a round, anyway.  I was there from the start and because we were all like 9/10ish at that point we only really did simple stuff like that.  I fucked it off when I was 15 and sort of regret not moving on to the adult choir, a bit.  I totally miss the whole thing of singing with a huge group of people.

Yes, it's a round, just like in the YouTube I posted.

no_offenc

I'm in WORK.  I can't watch videos in WORK.  Mostly because I have no speakers on this PC.

Humph.

NoSleep

Blimpkin

This is mine, I used to love singing it.  Evokes quite alot of nostalgia actually.

Autumn Days   

Autumn days, when the grass is jewelled
    And the silk in a chestnut shell
    Jet planes meeting in the air to be refuelled
    All these things I love so well

(Chorus)

So I mustn't forget
    No, I mustn't forget
    To say a great big thank you
    No, I mustn't forget.

Clouds that look like familiar faces
    And winter's moon with frosted rings
    Smell of bacon as I fasten up my laces
    And the milkman sings.

Whipped–up spray that is rainbow–scattered
    And a swallow curving in the sky
    Shoes go comfy though they're worn out and they're battered
    And the taste of apple pie.

Scent of gardens when the rain's been falling
    And a minnow darting down a stream
    Picked–up engine that's been stuttering and stalling
    And a win for my home team.

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=w9mvrkQbzgc
[/youtube]
Ahhhh.

MuteBanana

Autumn Days rocks. I also liked Lord of The Dance.

Ginyard

At 6th form, our a capella got into trouble for singing this at one of the music teacher's leaving dos. We'd not really  planned it but started singing it after a few risky jokes by the other teachers which we thought signalled a positive go-ahead. We never got deep into the second verse; the look on the parent's faces is something that still haunts me.

My name is Jack,
I'm a necrophiliac,
I fuck dead women
And I fill them full of semen,
I get frustrated,
When they get cremated,
Because you just,
You can't fuck dust

My name is Jack,
I'm a necrophiliac,
I get the horn,
when I hear the pelvis crack,
I got all mad,
when they buried my old dad,
because that cad,
fucked me when I was a lad

My favourite singing experience was when some of the BBC singers joined us at the royal college and we performed some Ligeti with the composer conducting. That was just fantastic.

I'm always keen to belt out the bass in 'Praise him' as far as hymns go......

AnthonyJ

Quote from: Ginyard on November 17, 2008, 06:00:25 PM
At 6th form, our a capella got into trouble for singing this at one of the music teacher's leaving dos. We'd not really  planned it but started singing it after a few risky jokes by the other teachers which we thought signalled a positive go-ahead. We never got deep into the second verse; the look on the parent's faces is something that still haunts me.

My name is Jack,
I'm a necrophiliac,
I fuck dead women
And I fill them full of semen,
I get frustrated,
When they get cremated,
Because you just,
You can't fuck dust

I've never knew there was a second verse! We sang the first with a variation on the lyrics above:

My name is Jack,
I'm a necrophiliac,
I get so hard,
In the graveyard,
I get frustrated,
When they get cremated,
Burial's a must
Because you can't fuck dust

Lfbarfe

Two whole pages and no-one's mentioned 'Make Me a Channel of Your Piss Peace' yet? Memorable primarily for its easily-abused title, but also for its non-scanning final line "And in dying that we're born to eternal life". You need a real run-up to fit that lot into the available tune.

Does this mean as much to everyone else?:

TotalMink

There were some crackers up our way in rural Aberdeenshire knocking about in the late 70's/early 80's. 

Jesus wants me for a sunbeam,
To shine for Him each day;
In every way try to please Him,
At home, at school, at play.

A sunbeam, a sunbeam,
Jesus wants me for a sunbeam;
A sunbeam, a sunbeam,
I'll be a sunbeam for Him.

Not forgetting

Jesus loves me! This I know,
for the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to him belong;
they are weak, but he is strong.

The Ink is black, I used to love as it seemed so exotic.  Many a Primary teacher had to try and explain the hidden meaning of the song to much bemusement as we didnt get our first black pupil until 82.

I seemed to remember lots of pointing at crotches at the purple headed mountain line in All Things Bright and Beautiful.

Apuskidu was bleeding edge when i was in primary and only a few incomer teachers ever had the neck to pull that out.  Lilly the Pink used to devastate the reading corner.

Morrisfan82

I love that Vic Reeves rendition of We Plough The Fields And Scatter (or 'We plough the fields in Scarborough', as he has it), and I'm pretty sure he changed the last two lines to

QuoteThat purple-headed mountain
And yes, I live in Spain

I also liked Autumn Days. There was great potential for mischief though - some kids took the 'great big thank you' too literally and would yell out the 'THANK YOU!!!' at the top of their voice. Eventually the teacher cottoned on to this and would (quite comically) leap up from the piano stool on the offending line to catch out the shouters and bollock them accordingly.

We only had an overhead projector when we moved up to the juniors, we just had to learn stuff by ear in the infants. Which led to me, for ages, thinking that Kumbaya had a verse talking about how 'someone's spraying, my Lord'. For about two years I honestly thought that bit was about graffiti.

Come to think of it, to this day I don't know what 'kumbaya' means.

Quote from: Lfbarfe on November 18, 2008, 09:17:36 AM
Does this mean as much to everyone else?:

Absolutely!  I have vivid memories of my primary school teacher sitting at the piano playing songs from the brown book with the fishies on it!  I'm pretty sure 'One potato, two potato' was from that.

mjki5gs2

On special occasions there was this upbeat Noah's Ark song we used to sing, with accompanying hand-jive type actions.

http://www.dltk-bible.com/genesis/noah_song3.htm

Looking at it now those lyrics are bollocks, and if it wasn't for the hand-jive tie-in I would have consigned it to the dustbin of my memory.

Autumn Days was a big favourite, teachers were never happy when everybody rowdily chanted "And a win for my home team!!!"

I used to enjoy singing 'Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit-Bag', what a cheery old song that was

we used to sing an absolute bucketload in school. It started off fairly enjoyable as I remember. Probably because at the age of 7/8 being able to belt out any old song as loud as possible was pretty fun. As we got towards the end of juniors though we'd all gotten fed up of being forced to sit in rows every tuesday and sing along to what essentially was a load of guff (always religious as well, being a catholic school and being led by a nun with a guitar)

I remember always having a soft spot for one, with the chorus basically being shouts of 'Gloria! Gloria!' followed by manic clapping and something about 'in somebody's something or another.' One early, early favourite had lines such as 'if i was a butterfly i'd thank you lord for giving me wings, if i was a kangaroo i'd jump right up to you.'

Stopped being fun as soon as they cancelled our dinnertimes for extra practice when at the age off 11 i wasn't overtly keen on professing my urge to bounce up to God and thank him for hypothetically making me a kangaroo. Where was free will then eh, God?

*grinds axe*

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 16, 2008, 05:49:19 AM
Don't drop that can, Stan!
Don't waste that pack, Jack!
With just a little bit of common sense,
We can make it riiiiiiight!

No one else remember that one? The woman who did our assemblies was a right fucking hippie.

We did this but until this point I was under the impression that the teacher had made it up. It wasn't Mrs Townsend was it?

ozziechef

Quote from: TotalMink on November 18, 2008, 03:39:18 PM
The Ink is black, I used to love as it seemed so exotic. 

Am I imagining things or did Jimmy Nail release this as a single in the mid 90s?

Ginyard

Quote from: evil_lafayette on November 18, 2008, 08:01:33 PM
Probably because at the age of 7/8 being able to belt out any old song as loud as possible was pretty fun.

At the age of 7/8, being allowed to belt out a song in 7/8 would definitely have been fun.