Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:56:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

WHITE ZOMBIE: Long-rumoured box set out now

Started by trotsky assortment, November 28, 2008, 07:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I was going to post this at the end of Monkey's 'Metal Night on CaB Radio' thread, but thought it might get missed.  The last metal thread was really old too, so bumping it seemed unfair.

Anyway, the long rumoured White Zombie box set is out.  Only in the US, it seems, although Amazon UK are stocking it, but it's fairly expensive.

Details and tracklisting here.

It looks to be nicely put together.  According to Rob Zombie, it contains everything the band ever recorded, not including remixes.  He's wrong, of course... The two bonus tracks from the cassette version of their debut EP are not included.

Quote from: Rob Zombie"All I can say is boy the early shit is wacked. I haven't heard some of these songs in over twenty years. I don't know what the hell we were thinking." "Everything is including on this set. Over 4 and 1/2 hours of music, plus tons of never before seen videos. 5 discs in all."

Obviously, if you're a fan, you'll have pretty much all the music already (although it's unlikely you have anything pre-'Make Them Die Slowly' officially), but it'll be nice to have all the videos in one place (Rob Zombie's solo 'hits' set ommitted a couple of WZ vids from the bonus DVD); but most importantly, the DVD includes a previously unavailable live show.

boki

Ooh, looks interesting.  By sheer coincidence I got the urge to listen to 'La Sexorcisto' the other day for the first time in ages.

Have you heard any of the pre-Geffen stuff, Bokes?

boki

Must confess I hadn't, but I did look 'em up the other day and it sounds pretty intriguing.  The really early stuff's meant to be more noisy and less metallic, which would suit the B-movie trash aesthetic I'd have thought.

It's gonna have to get cheaper than 66 quid, mind.

The early EPs and first album sound like a noisy band recorded in a shed.  Rob's vocal is a torturous yelp. How he got from that to his slurred trademark growl, I'm still not sure.  For all the lack of budget and poor songwriting, I really like them.

Phase 2 of White Zombie is far more recognisable.  The second album, 'Make Them Die Slowly' has a little of the feel of latter day WZ, but no budget at all.  The sound hints at 'La Sexorcisto', but has very little of the power and none of the groove.  Imagine Slayer's 'South Of Heaven' recorded by a bunch of people smashed out of their heads of Kestrel Super and with a recording budget of 75p and you'll be halfway home.

It's with the 'God of Thunder' EP things get really interesting.  An even bigger step towards the latter day WZ sound and a KISS cover too.  Huzzah!

I might try and get a couple of early mp3s up later - even if they're only of interest to you, Captain Crunch and Monkeyfucker.

boki

ooh, this looks rather useful (or would be if my laptop weren't behaving as though it only has about 7kB of memory)

Backstage With Slowdive