Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:04:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs y'like by bands y'don't

Started by alan nagsworth, December 10, 2008, 03:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Sorry - Haven't heard the most recent Counting Crows album yet.  I still think you should return to 'Hard Candy', purely based on my experiences of loving 'AaEA' and being underwhelmed by the next two, in comparison.

Old Thrashbarg

I thought I'd written that I was going to give it another go, but it turns out I didn't. Odd. I definitely intended to. Ah well, I'll do it now: based on our apparent compatability in taste on their other albums, I'll definitely try Hard Candy again. I was probably listening to it not expecting anything after the previous two disappointments and, as a result, didn't really give it the attention it hopefully deserves.

Blue Jam

Quote from: The Mumbler on December 10, 2008, 01:57:01 PM
All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey

I'd have to go for Fantasy, largely for the production.

As for R Kelly, I've developed a bit of a soft spot for World's Greatest after hearing the bit after the key change overused on The X Factor. The video is fantastically corny as well:

youtube.com/watch?v=dfgHdHfgVyE

YOU'VE GOT FOUR YESES KID.

samadriel

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 12, 2008, 04:37:43 PM
Sorry Trotsky. I've tried with The Clash, I reall have, but I just can't stand them. I hate Strummer's voice, and their songs just sound like grey, tuneless dirges to my ears.

Hope I haven't "finished you off" with that assessment.
I'm not all that enamoured of the Clash myself, but give Safe European Home a shot if you haven't, that's five-star stuff.

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 12, 2008, 04:37:43 PM
Sorry Trotsky. I've tried with The Clash, I reall have, but I just can't stand them. I hate Strummer's voice, and their songs just sound like grey, tuneless dirges to my ears.

I've always had the idea they were an amazing live band if you were there in '77 (and you were on speed, that helped as well), but never got the right producer. There was a Sex Pistols interview in which they slagged off all other punk bands, including the comments: "That Damned single was like The Searchers - all tinny... and that Clash album was practically a folk record..."

non capisco

Quote from: Backstage With Slowdive on December 13, 2008, 01:19:50 AM
I've always had the idea they were an amazing live band if you were there in '77 (and you were on speed, that helped as well), but never got the right producer.

I don't know exactly how much influence on the 'London Calling' sessions Guy Stevens and his drunken antics had, but that's easily the best sounding Clash record. It's got a warmth to it that the other ones don't.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Backstage With Slowdive on December 10, 2008, 02:51:11 PM
Which was directly responsible for the victory of New Labour in 1997, lest we forget.

Really? I dont remember it having that effect. And you say that like its a bad thing

SavageHedgehog

The Slit's cover of I Heard it Through the Grapevine. To me that's more enjoyable than the original, but I bought Cut recently and everything else is either forgettable or total bollocks. As songwriters they make Sham69 look like The Undertones (or The Clash if you insist on being all orthodox).

And Grapevine is of course a bonus track.

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on December 10, 2008, 05:56:17 PM
The Cars - Just What I Needed (it's the best pop song ever written but everything else from the band I detest)

Even the stylistically very similar My Best Friend's Girl?

alan nagsworth

Hmmm... Kraftwerk avatar, and talking about that Slits cover only 2 days after I overheard you listening to it in the kitchen... ARE YOU MY FLATMATE?

I'm watching you punk.

SavageHedgehog

If I am your flatmate, I do apologise as I was not aware I am. Must be doing it in my sleep or something.

Neville Chamberlain

I'm not the world's biggest Right Said Fred fan, but the track You're My Mate is fucking brilliant!