Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:19:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Yet another Top of the Pops relaunch is on it's way...

Started by imitationleather, April 27, 2004, 03:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Remember at the end of last year how Top of the Pops relaunched with new features (nicked from CD:UK) and a new host (poached from MTV)? Well, now it's all change again...

From The Sun (so obviously it must be true).

QuoteTOTP told to slash £29,000 off shows

TOP Of The Pops producers have been told to slash costs after going £29,000 over budget for each show.

Executive producer Andi Peters has been ordered by BBC bosses to keep the budget down to £104,000 per programme.

TOTP was relaunched in December and went to a new live format.

Among the cost-cutting ideas are reducing the number of acts from eight to six, ditching news items and a voiceover and axing a researcher.

TV Biz told last month how the show has been given a lifeline until December.

And a BBC spokeswoman last night said the show will not go back to being pre-recorded.

She also revealed kids presenters Fern Cotton and Reggie Yates will co-host alongside Tim Kash from April 30.

A telly insider said: "It's no secret TOTP bosses have been very ambitious but they've been spending recklessly. There just isn't enough money to go around."

Right, so they're getting rid of two of the acts and all the features. To me, it seems like unless Lynrd Skynrd reform (unlikely considering most of the members are dead) they're going to have a lot of problems filling up a half hour show.

And Fearne Cotton?! Argh! I don't like the girl, as I've said before, but that aside I still think she's a terrible choice of host (and this Reggie boy is a twut, he presents a show on BBC2 with Fearne on Sundays). I'm not sure who exactly she appeals to, but I doubt it's going to be the sort of person who watches Top of the Pops. I was watching Jack Dee's TOTP2 last week and there were clips from an episode he presented with Bjork. Now, why can't we have this back again? Obviously, by that I don't mean Jack Dee and Bjork, but interesting or unlikely guest hosts every week. It's got to be better than some rubbish blonde kid's TV presenter who dresses in "punk" items avaliable from Claire's Accessories and has no opinons of her own whatsoever.

As it happens, I watched Top of the Pops for the first time in ages last week and it wasn't really all that bad. Mainly because Pete Doherty was on it followed swiftly by Franz Ferdinand (yes, I don't like the song but it was still nice to see them). Obviously a big part of whether or not Top of the Pops is going to be good is down to the music itself, and lately a lot of stuff that I like has been in the charts. It also made me realise that the whole quality of the charts seem to be on an upward curve. All that Fame Academy and Pop Idol bollocks is all but over (where did Michelle's last single get anyway?) and even the disposable fluffy pop that I'd never admit to liking isn't so awful at the moment.

I really can't see this relaunch working, mainly because it's not even a relaunch. It's just the Beeb slowly taking away the show's resources until there's no show left.

Looks like it's going to be bye-bye Top of the Pops this December...

Quote from: "imitationleather"Looks like it's going to be bye-bye Top of the Pops this December...

Good.

Nearly Annually

I like Fearne Cotton. I don't like Franz Ferdinand. I do like more than usual of what's in the charts right now. I hope someone finds Andi Peters under a bush with blood caked trousers while walking their dog. Thanks.

elderford

Oh I suppose it's all down to the audience that you want.

For a while they featured outside the top 40 and the odd album chart band, which was great as occasionally there was a chance someone would appear who wasn't a blatant attempt at getting pocket money of 10 year olds.

But if it is going to be for 10 year olds, then I don't suppose the quality really matters as they'll only be interested in the 3 minutes that they're favourite new band is on for and will be more than happy to diss the rest of the show.

The timeslot prohibits anyone over the age of 15 from really paying attention to it or taking it seriously.

It should be tacked onto the end of Newsround or Blue Peter really.

My personal favourite was when Julian Cope was guest presenter.

Although I would like to see Dylan Moran and his ilk having a go at hosting it.

They should film it like it was in the 70s, with psychedelic video effects, Pan's People and Jimmy Saville.

Lumiere

Quote from: "DevlinC"
Quote from: "imitationleather"Looks like it's going to be bye-bye Top of the Pops this December...

Good.

My thoughts exactly.

Rats

They'll never ever get rid of top of the pops. How the hell is it costing so much? Don't the bands come on for nowt to promote their singles? Why the hell do they need a researcher? Where's my crab?

Vermschneid Mehearties

How about ditching top of the pops and making a show that features bands who write and perform their own material, and have a new album or E.P out they want to promote.

Oh shit. Did that guy at the top mention Andy Peters? Forget it.

Vermschneid Mehearties

How about ditching top of the pops and making a show that features bands who write and perform their own material, and have a new album or E.P out they want to promote.

Oh shit. Did that guy at the top mention Andy Peters? Forget it.

TJ

How about they just feature the high climbers and new entries in the chart, as well as the UK and US number ones, and any interesting exclusive performances of new or forthcoming releases? As they did from 1964 right up until some idiot decided it needed a 'revamp' in 1991.

Vermschneid Mehearties

The singles chart is dead on it's arse bar the pre-pubescent pop market, and loyal followers of rock bands. I reckon there should be shows focused for each genre. That would hopefully leave us free from manufactured music, wheras the people who enjoy it are free to do just that.

I'm not quite sure how much time should be alotted to them but it's bound to beat Lotters Shows/ The Weakest Link/ Anything with Nicky Campbell.

Morrisfan82

Well there's the instant problem with TOTP, the fact that as its content is entirely dependent on what's in the charts, if current chart music is generally shite, then TOTP won't be particularly enjoyable either.

I think it might be illegal or something to properly enjoy an episode of TOTP past your late teens anyhoo.

TJ: twixt 1991 and the recent revamp, did TOTP not just cover all of the things you mentioned anyway (bar the US #1 I guess)? The only differences I can remember post-91 weren't really format-based, just things like the new studio and the change of presenters.

I must confess, early-90s TOTP was quite entertaining for me. Two reasons really: 1) a load of hardcore/rave acts on every week, dancing about, corrupting the nation's youth and fingering the TOTP standard-issue Korg M1, and 2) the REALLY nifty new caption graphics (which must've cost a bomb to maintain). A different animation for each song, relevant to either the band's name or the song title! Amazing.

imitationleather

Another problem is that these days bands spend about six weeks promotiong a single before it's released, so by the time it actually gets into the charts it's boring and no longer relevant.

For instance, the new Busted single 'Air Hostess' was only released yesterday even though it's been around for months! The same went for McFly's debut single (it just doesn't seem right, a debut single being given that much promotion). I don't think the solution to this problem is for TOTP to start covering stuff that's not going to be released for months, but rather that all this pre-release promotion is stopped.

It's taking any excitement out of the charts and is also putting people off buying the singles because by the way time they can actually get their hands on it they've already heard it about 100 times and can no longer stand it. Oh yeah, and now no singles ever climb up the charts. Ever!

QuoteOh yeah, and now no singles ever climb up the charts. Ever!

As I remember "Hey Ya!" did quite poorly (Top 40?) when it was first released, but was a steady climber and ended up spending ages in the Top Ten.

DrJ

Well there are exceptions to the rule that all singles enter high and drop.  I thought there was nothing wrong with TOTP prior to the revamp in 2003, but Peters has ruined it.

There are a few things that should/could be done...  First of all, the best thing about TOTP is that it is limited to the charts, but that shouldn't be a problem, especially if there's a nod to the album charts, then you mix the wheat and chaff.  Fer instance, taking this week's charts, what'd be wrong with a show including Franz Ferdinand, Marillion, The Zutons, Prince, D12 and that lame-o number one?  Why can't someone make a show out of these acts?  

Secondly, TOTP shouldn't pander to the kids the way it has done in the last few months, it's essentially a news programme, it should just present popular songs.  Every week's edition has a role to be a time capsule for that week in popular music.  The Star Bar and on the road reports are a waste of time.

(c) It's on opposite Corination Street, what a waste.  If all new releases came out on a Friday (like here in Ireland) you could move TOTP and the chart itself back to Thursday and reveal the new charts on the show.

The host is important, and Kash is a disaster. Even recently they were letting Reeves and Mortimer host it. When I was 8 and John Peel was introducing the music, I had no idea who he was but he seemed more interesting that Mike Read.  I could easily figure that out at 8 years of age.

That idea of a retero TOTP is quite amusing.  TOTP has a very strong identity, the last producer realised this using the Led Zeppelin theme tune and branding the show to export it around the world.  Peters needs to be stopped soon.  I think I've been rambling a bit...

hands cold, liver warm

Quote from: "imitationleather"(where did Michelle's last single get anyway?)

like the girl herself, the single couldn't be arsed to enter the top 40 and instead went to the pie shop

I'm amazed that each episode fof TOTP costs £100, 000 to make when it looks so tatty. They don't do anything special with the sets so all that money must be for booking the acts. TOTP is dead because the charts are dead, the show hinges totally on the attention the public give to the top ten. Fewer singles are being bought, fewer people listen to the sunday chart rundown. Nobody cares anymore

Rats

So they pay for the bands to come on? That seems all arse about face. A "band" get to play their single heard on prime time BBC 1, one of the most watched shows and they get paid for the privelage? Fantastic.

imitationleather

Quote from: "hands cold, liver warm"like the girl herself, the single couldn't be arsed to enter the top 40 and instead went to the pie shop

It really didn't get into the Top 40? Haha! That is fucking hilarious.

Hahahaha. That has made my evening.

Thanks!

hands cold, liver warm

Quote from: "imitationleather"
Quote from: "hands cold, liver warm"like the girl herself, the single couldn't be arsed to enter the top 40 and instead went to the pie shop

It really didn't get into the Top 40? Haha! That is fucking hilarious.

Hahahaha. That has made my evening.

Thanks!

Nah, I was exaggerating to get in a pie shop joke. sorry.

her second single spent only about two weeks in the top thirty me thinks

imitationleather

Oh. Ah well, that's nearly as good. I suggest that when her next single is released we each buy a copy of all forty singles in the chart to make sure her big floppy warbling face gets nowhere near another episode of Top of the Pops (just to bring this thread back on-topic) ever again.

DrJ

Michelle's single entered 16 two weeks ago then dropped like a stone.

Evil Knevil

Vermschneid Mehearties

People care more about the contest, and the outcome of the contest than any music produced at the end of it.

That's how stupid people are. They phone up every week to make someone a pop star and then forget about them once they've won. I think that fat whale blubbering scotch cow is a prime example. Aww look, she's fat. Let's let her win eh.

It's clearly not 'all about her voice is it'. It's about the fact she's a bland-as-fuck twat with no singing voice who wears tops that could double as hot air balloons.

chand

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"People care more about the contest, and the outcome of the contest than any music produced at the end of it.

Christ, I remember when Popstars was in the process of making their band. The auditions were down to something like 100 people, and I was in WHSmith and people were actually attempting to pre-order the Popstars single. With absolutely no knowledge of who would be in the final band or what the song would be.

Then again, WHSmith is the place where people go when they don't know anything about whatever it is they might be looking for.