Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:11:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Yet more 24!

Started by Munday's Chylde, February 05, 2004, 12:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
New series starts on sky one next thursday!!!!!

I'll be doing my usual trick of waiting for the dvd release though so once it's aired I'll be avoiding all threads on here about it for fear of spoilers, but I still wanted to start a new one myself for the brief pause before it starts since it's what I consider one of the coolest tv shows ever. Long may Jack's days remain terrible!

Hairy Chin

I saw a nice big billboard advert for Sky and 24 the other day. Mr Sutherland's big face was on there looking stern (as usual), and above his mush was
"If you don't get Sky, You don't get Jack"

I thought it was quite good anyway.

Mind you, I don't get out much.

Purple Tentacle

CUNTS!!!

CUNTS!!!!!!

"Oooh look at us, we're Sky and we've STOLEN the best action/drama series ever from normal telly. Now we're holding him to ransom, give Rupert some money and maybe we'll let you watch it."

Utter uttter cunts.

In fact it's produced by Fox anyway isn't it? Christ that must have been some tough negotiation.

Frinky

I have Sky. I'm going to enjoy this (and new Scrubs...).

Johnny Yesno

Bah! I was really looking forward to this series.

Quote from: "Hairy Chin quoting Sky""If you don't get Sky, You don't get Jack"

Rupert Murdoch can kiss Myers...

Timmay

This should be classed as "important to the nation" in the same way as the FA Cup Final is, or England World Cup matches. The BBC'd never lose the right to it then.

Well just do what I do then and buy the dvds (pre-order them as soon as they appear on play and you're going to be knocking at least a tenner off, i did last time anyway!) then you can watch them at your leisure and the cliffhangers can last as long as you allow them to. I hate having to watch a show as good as this week after week rather than in my own time anyway.

king mob

Its going to have to be DVD's this time round, i cant imagine it being broken up by ads & trailers for Friends.

fanny splendid

Not that I'm showing off, or anything, but I have seen the first twelve episodes of series three, already.

Spoilers, anyone?

king mob

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Not that I'm showing off, or anything, but I have seen the first twelve episodes of series three, already.

Spoilers, anyone?

Nooooooooooo

might be best to start a spoiler thread to save us poor souls waiting for the DVD?

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Not that I'm showing off, or anything, but I have seen the first twelve episodes of series three, already.

Spoilers, anyone?

Well I'd be interesting to know the very general plot without any twist spoilers (ie dont tell me who dies and who doublecrosses) - is Kim involved and do they get her in the plot without a crowbar this time? I know the presidents still in it, is his wife? That'll do for starters.

smoker

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"Well I'd be interesting to know the very general plot without any twist spoilers (ie dont tell me who dies and who doublecrosses) - is Kim involved and do they get her in the plot without a crowbar this time? I know the presidents still in it, is his wife? That'll do for starters.

i read an interview with the actress who plays sherrie a while back, they were still filming and she was unsure where her character was going but she's definitley in a few episodes

Ar, ye bongo

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"Well I'd be interesting to know the very general plot without any twist spoilers (ie dont tell me who dies and who doublecrosses) - is Kim involved and do they get her in the plot without a crowbar this time? I know the presidents still in it, is his wife? That'll do for starters.

Thanks to suprnova I too have been enjoying the Jack Bauer power hour every wednesday.

*Not too specific spoilers for Munday's Chylde*
Yes, Kim is involved quite a bit in this series, working in CTU, which I find a bit implausable, but it has kept her out of harms way/random cougars/surivalist nutters etc. A very general plot synopsis... well, an imprisoned Mexican crime lord has had a corpse infected with a deadly virus dumped outside a building in L.A. and is threatening a widescale release if he isn't freed. Pres. Palmer is in L.A. for a televised debate (his brother is now Chief of Staff), Jack has a new partner (from now on referred to as Charlie Brown) who's secretly involved with Kim. Jack also has an equine problem... Sherry has been banished to the wilderness thanks to her machinations in series 2. Michelle still hasn't got naked.
*End spoilers*

It's been very good so far, on a par with series 2 for me, and there's a great "What the FUCK?" moment at the end of episode 7 (7-8pm) .

Rev

Quote from: "Ar, ye bongo"
It's been very good so far, on a par with series 2 for me, and there's a great "What the FUCK?" moment at the end of episode 7 (7-8pm) .

Y'know, without spoiling anything, that moment kind of ruined the series for me...  it's a twist too far.  I've given up downloading them now, but will probably end up watching the thing on Sky anyway.

Mr Crippen

Quote from: "Ar, ye bongo"Jack has a new partner (from now on referred to as Charlie Brown)

Do you read Television Without Pity by any chance, sir?

Crippen

fanny splendid

Quote from: "king mob"
Quote from: "fanny splendid"Spoilers, anyone?
Nooooooooooo

Only joking. I'll be buying the DVD set too, to go on the shelf with the other two.  

tu!

I don't have sky, so i feel quite justified in downloading these. What's the legal position in recording a program off the telly, then lending it to your mate?

Purple Tentacle

As I understand it, it's illegal to record a programme if you keep it for longer than 3 days.

imitationleather

Apparently the BBC didn't get season three because Fox said that they weren't allowed to show it until 2005 for some strange reason. Also, if it's any consolation, Charlie Brooker says that this season is a "crushing disappointment". I know, I know. It's no consolation whatsoever.

Waah! I want 24!

Timmay

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"As I understand it, it's illegal to record a programme if you keep it for longer than 3 days.
[pedant]

So it's not *actually* illegal to record it, is it? It's actually illegal to keep the recording for longer than 3 days.

[/pedant]

I *know* someone far more pedantic than me, will now correct me. And I'm sure it'll be PT himself... ;)

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "Ar, ye bongo"Michelle still hasn't got naked.

That's ruined it for me then.

BTW erm... you know who I fancy?

Yum!

Ar, ye bongo

Quote from: "Mr Crippen"

Crippen

Oddly enough, no. But he's surely a shoe-in for a live action Charlie Brown movie, isn't he? As far as recordings off the telly are concerned, isn't it illegal once they're over 28 days old?

vladyeti

imitationleather wrote:
QuoteAlso, if it's any consolation, Charlie Brooker says that this season is a "crushing disappointment".

I also read this in Brooker's Saturday Guardian column.  However, he also said that he's only seen a few of the episodes, so he's talking out of his arse basically.  Nothing new there.

I, on the other hand, download 24 obsessively as soon as I get home from work every Wednesday (I'm sharing all 12 eps of season 3 on Soulseek, if anyone wants them).  This season has been as good as the others, in my opinion - some great cliffhanger endings.  Two of the episodes have been among the best episodes I've ever seen, although a couple really sucked.  It picks up again though - I was watching episode 12 last night, and half-way through I noticed that my heart was pounding really fast, and stayed like that until the end of the episode.

imitationleather

Quote from: "vladyeti"I noticed that my heart was pounding really fast, and stayed like that until the end of the episode.

Too much coffee, son.

Mr Crippen

Quote from: "Ar, ye bongo"
Quote from: "Mr Crippen"

Oddly enough, no. But he's surely a shoe-in for a live action Charlie Brown movie, isn't he?

I haven't actually seen him yet, but they called him Special Agent Charlie Brown on there when I read the synopsis for the first episode in a moment of madness (I'd just heard it was going to be on Sky and I was feeling weak!).

Crippen

Hairy Chin

Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"Bah! I was really looking forward to this series.

Quote from: "Hairy Chin quoting Sky""If you don't get Sky, You don't get Jack"

Rupert Murdoch can kiss Myers...

can i poiint out, I just thought it was a good ad as far as billboards go - the fact that sky has the show instead of the beeb is shit, because it means that fuckloads of people are going to miss out on it, and also it means it's going to get commercial interruptions. I rmember reading that series 3 isn't designed to take ads, it's all shown in real time, with just a big Ford 4x4 advert at the top and tail of the show (and a few of said 4x4's in the show). I can't see Sky One giving the show a full runthrough without ads, unless they too get a big sponsor to just top and tail it...otherwise it'll need something like 75-minute timeslot to show the ads as well, without disrupting the show's timeline (well, ads will fuck it up, but not as bad as if they cut buts out to fit the ads into the hour).

It's good that 24 is getting a screening in the UK - but it really should have been on the bbc again, commercial-free, and where loads of folk could see it.

elderford

Have none of you noticed that 24 is, well, a bit silly?

Two words to anyone who wants to refute this: Kim's storylines

fanny splendid

Yes, it can be very silly, but it's entertaining, and I think that was the idea.

elderford

Oh, that's alright then.

I remember being desperately impressed with the original idea. Foolishly believing that all 24 scripts had been written before filming began.

Then I saw an interview with one of the writers who explained that even they thought Jack's wife's memory loss storyline was pisspoor with hindsight, and that from around halfway through they just made it up as they went along and hoped they holes didn't show.

Tokyo Sexwhale

I wish they'd repeat the first series (which I didn't watch). I wouldn't bother buying the DVD set as it's a bit much for something you'd only watch once.

Kim should be relegated to a minor part as her constant peril is fucking ridiculous.  The actress who plays her should be in the running for the part of Penelope Pitstop in any live-action version though.