Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,173
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:19:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

things on tv you know only you've seen and you'll never see them again

Started by Cack Hen, December 26, 2008, 03:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The Brothers McGregor - late 1980s ITV sitcom about two scouse scallywags. One was played by Denzil from OFAH and the other by... a small white bloke with a tache.

I honestly can't remember whether it was any good or not, but it's always stuck in my mind.

Google serves up this fascinating tidbit:

The two brothers first appeared in an episode of Coronation Street in 1982. Played by Tony Osoba and Carl Chase, they were in the Rovers Return at Eddie Yeats' engagement party. 

boxofslice

Does anyone remember a BBC2 drama called Mr. Wakefield's Crusade? It was on while I was still at school so it should be around 1993 and starred Peter Capaldi as an eccentric agoraphobic (I think) who decides to investigate something or other following a series of coincidences. Never been repeated as far as I know and not available on any DVD.

lactating man nips

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 12, 2009, 05:30:08 PM
However, the cleaned up version replaced the offending tirade with a repeated chant of "Why me? Why me?" which somehow managed to endow this incidental character with an air of wistful defeatism that he didn't possess in the original.

Hahaha :) .

I remember seeing an edited version of Hear No Evil See No Evil and sans swearing it seemed devoid of humour. I should add I was probably around 10 years old both times I watched it.

Backstage With Slowdive

I'd love it if someone wrote a huge post on this thread describing what was then instantly identified as the plot of 2001:A Space Odyssey.

mulder

Quote from: Muteki on January 08, 2009, 01:25:46 PM
Blimey.

As far as Youtube goes, I don't know what their policy is with stuff like that. They did host a video of the paramedics tending to Ayrton Senna after his fatal crash in 1994, which was far more lurid and distressing in comparison.

Gotta be a way around it so that they don't realise too quickly what it is.  You could upload the ad break and post it up as '80s ads' on YouTube, just include the Cooper bit and the start of the next part of the programme.

Anyway, there were a couple of things I was going to mention but I've forgotten one of them after reading more of the thread than I intended to.

The other one was when I was in primary school and watching 'Watch' or something like that.  The 'dots' finished, the programme started, but then the announcer interrupted and explained that they were going to start the programme again.  That's how I remember it anyway, but I was between 6 and 8 years old.  Now, the school did not have a VCR, so it wasn't the teachers messing around.  They did tell us that they were stopping the programme because some schools might not have come back from morning break, but that was a lie, surely.  I think, there might have been a problem with the playback of the tape, and with enough time to rewind and try again (as schools programmes had purposefully long interludes between programmes), BBC1 did just that.  I can't explain why I would have this memory if it didn't actually happen in some way.

gmoney

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 12, 2009, 05:59:40 PM
The Brothers McGregor - late 1980s ITV sitcom about two scouse scallywags. One was played by Denzil from OFAH and the other by... a small white bloke with a tache.

I honestly can't remember whether it was any good or not, but it's always stuck in my mind.

Google serves up this fascinating tidbit:

I remember that too.  Oddly, despite watching it every week, I only remember one joke:

Man:  You ain't brothers.
Small white bloke with 'tache:  We are.  He always got the sunny end of the pram.

Hardly comedy gold.

Quote from: gmoney on January 13, 2009, 02:48:09 AM
Here's that Harry Enfield bad film editing sketch for those who care

Cheers. I've always loved "Kiss my knee, muddy funster", but I'd forgotten about "suck my lozenge" and "nitwit". Watching those Robocop clips proves that this sketch really wasn't that far fetched.

Quote from: trotsky assortment on January 13, 2009, 08:28:07 PM

I remember that too.  Oddly, despite watching it every week, I only remember one joke:

Man:  You ain't brothers.
Small white bloke with 'tache:  We are.  He always got the sunny end of the pram.

Ouch.

But yeah, it's weird that we can recall watching a show quite regularly, but can remember almost nothing about it. Although at least you can remember one more of its jokes than I can.

Remembering that has stirred up something else. 

I recall a mid-80s comedy that had a rastafarian in it; I remember nothing else about it, except I'm connecting it in my mind with Eddy Grant's 'Living on the Front Line'.  Was that the title, or maybe the theme tune?

What might that have been?  Was that also 'The Brothers McGregor'?

purlieu

Quote from: gmoney on January 13, 2009, 02:48:09 AM
Here's that Harry Enfield bad film editing sketch for those who care
Fantastic stuff, but it doesn't matter how much 'earhoe' makes me giggle, the noise the 2 makes at the beginning has always provided the biggest laugh for me. 

Quote from: trotsky assortment on January 13, 2009, 09:05:18 PM

I recall a mid-80s comedy that had a rastafarian in it; I remember nothing else about it, except I'm connecting it in my mind with Eddy Grant's 'Living on the Front Line'.  Was that the title, or maybe the theme tune?

Hmmm, no, that doesn't ring a bell. The only recurring rastafarian character I can think of from the 1980s is, of course, Lenny Henry's Algernon Razzmatazz. 

Ocho

I vaguely remember the sitcom about a Rastafarian where he was being interviewed about his culture.

"What about the use of patois?"
"What?  Oh, patois like you spread on bread."

The Brothers MacGregor was a spin-off from Coronation Street.
http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Spin-off#The_Brothers_McGregor

Gulftastic

You;re not think of No Problem!, are you.

Barney Sloane

You're probably thinking of this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088521/

If I remember correctly, 'Living on the Front Line' was used as its sig tune.  Other than that, the only thing I remember about it was the line, "Sheldon!  It's our *mother* we're burying, not a Cornetto!"

Quote from: Barney Sloane on January 15, 2009, 04:51:22 PM
"Sheldon!  It's our *mother* we're burying, not a Cornetto!"

That made me laugh out loud, simply because I can't even begin to imagine the context in which such a line would be funny. I think it's better not knowing.

mothman

I hesitate to resurrrect the Hazy Television Memories thread, but can anyone else remember a US TV film from the 80's I think, presumably intended as a pilot for a show that didn't get picked up. It featured an airliner full of passengers which vanishes mid-flight then reappears shortly after and lands, with no explanation. The main character is the boyfriend/husband of a passenger on the flight, and he first notices how different she is before discovering she's an alien replicant. He kills her in self-defense and is farmed for murder and was presumably then intended to go on the run, tracking down other passengers from the flight and seeing what their plan is, and whether the real passengers can be rescued.

Phil_A

Quote from: mothman on January 16, 2009, 02:24:31 PM
I hesitate to resurrrect the Hazy Television Memories thread, but can anyone else remember a US TV film from the 80's I think, presumably intended as a pilot for a show that didn't get picked up. It featured an airliner full of passengers which vanishes mid-flight then reappears shortly after and lands, with no explanation. The main character is the boyfriend/husband of a passenger on the flight, and he first notices how different she is before discovering she's an alien replicant. He kills her in self-defense and is farmed for murder and was presumably then intended to go on the run, tracking down other passengers from the flight and seeing what their plan is, and whether the real passengers can be rescued.

Wasn't that the nineties remake of "The Invaders", with Scott Bakula in the lead role?

Quote from: Barney Sloane on January 15, 2009, 04:51:22 PM
You're probably thinking of this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088521/

If I remember correctly, 'Living on the Front Line' was used as its sig tune.  Other than that, the only thing I remember about it was the line, "Sheldon!  It's our *mother* we're burying, not a Cornetto!"

That's it, yes!  I knew as soon as I saw the name Sheldon that would be the one.  I also had a vague memory of it being called 'Front Line', but for some reason, I couldn't spot it on the IMDb.

Like you, I remember very little about it.  I have a memory of Sheldon saying 'We got nothing.  Abso-totally-lutly nothin'.' but that's about all.   ...And it was Paul Barber again.

Bog Dadley

A documentary about 'Apple Dolls'. I learned that an Apple Doll is made by carving a face in an apple and then drying it. Each one is unique due to the varied effects of drying. No two Apple Dolls are the same. Imagine that.

I've found a website in case anyone has any Apple Doll needs:

http://www.appledolls.org/

It contains urgent front page advice about seasonal Apple Doll difficulties entitled 'Summer Warning!!". I'll reproduce it here for completeness:

Drying apples in the summer may be difficult because of the humidity.  You may want to wait till humidity has decreased or try using a food dehydrator. If you don't have a food dehydrator, try blowing a fan directly on the appleheads and/ or place heads in very low oven heat, 135 degrees or lower. If the temperature seems too hot, try turning heat on low to heat up, then turn the oven off before heads go in the oven. Warning! If the oven is too hot, the apples will cook instead of drying.

Turn the oven off before heads go in the oven. Amen to that. 

Lee Van Cleef

Back in my uni years I saw this British made TV program about a guy who fell in love with this woman, but there was something weird about her like she was a mindreader and I can't for life of me remember what it was or why I actually liked it.  Maybe because I'm a sentimental old bastard.

Wow.  That's the most useless description of anything ever.

mothman

Quote from: Phil_A on January 16, 2009, 06:55:41 PM
Wasn't that the nineties remake of "The Invaders", with Scott Bakula in the lead role?

There was one? *IMDBs* Hmm. No, doesn't sound right. I'm sure this was older than that. But, yes, it was a bit like The Invaders. In fact, what I can remember of it sounds like all sorts of shows (Lost, Fringe, Third Wave), hence my concern that I might have imagined it. But I know I didn't.

Cerys

I think I know the one you're talking about, but I only encountered the advertising for it and can't remember what it was called.  Fat lot of good I am.

mothman

I've asked over at IMDb.

. . . And someone has idenitifed it - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090649/

Lee Van Cleef

Quote from: mothman on January 16, 2009, 02:24:31 PM

That reminds me, the TV film of Stephen King's The Langoliers, was something else I saw that I couldn't believe.  A tense claustrophobic film ruined by the Langoliers reveal, as a bunch of flying meatballs with teeth.

mothman

Nope, knew it wasn't The Langoliers although that's yet another story (book/film) which sounded kinda like it. But it's definitely Annihilator for all that the title doesn't ring a bell at all.

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on January 19, 2009, 01:42:50 PM
That reminds me, the TV film of Stephen King's The Langoliers, was something else I saw that I couldn't believe.  A tense claustrophobic film ruined by the Langoliers reveal, as a bunch of flying meatballs with teeth.

Ah...yes...Stephen King endings.  A friend of mine has a theory about their shoddiness, considering the often tense build-ups.

[Stephen King has been busy writing.]

Mrs King:  Steve, yer tea's ready!

[King scribbles 'giant spider'/'hand of god' - delete as appropriate]

Steven, rather please with himself:  There!  Finished!

Braintree

Quote from: Cack Hen on December 26, 2008, 03:55:44 PM
oh i remember another one! people definitely have seen this one, but on the whole, most haven't

man in the mirror: the michael jackson story

this is a post i made elsewhere, over a year ago:

Spoiler alert
I was just flciking around the vast wasteland of digital chanells when I stumbled upon Man in the Mirror: The Michael Jackson Story. I only managed to see the final 30 minutes, but my god it was hysterically incredible. I just checked IMDB - and amazingly - MJ actually had nothing to do with this movie, but it's so heavily portrayed in his favour you wouldn't believe. At times I wasn't sure if it was just a flatout parody, but it can't be; there wasn't no exaggeration played for laughs - it was like propaganda. The guy playing Jackson had rubber all over his face but he somehow looked better than Jackson actually does. I urge you to download this.

Some of my favourite moments included-

[Michael just finishes a gig and runs backstage to a group huddle]

Michael: Oh WOW! That was so great! Quick, tell me the exact time. I will never forget this day.

Manager: It's just gone midnight, September 11, 2001

[cut to a television showing the planes fly into the world trade centre]

Michael: oh...oh my...oh my GOD!! [starts crying] what about all the relatives, the children...oh this...this can't be happening. This is it! This is armageddon!

Woman: Oh no, this is the start of the end!

Michael: take the kids. Take them away.

-----------

[Michael watches the news at home]

News reader: Michael Jackson has creatively named his new born son, (something the third) but sources tell us that Michael calls the child blanket!. That's certainly a better name!

Michael: [talking to the TV] What? He's called blanket because he's like a blanket of love, everybody knows that! This is so unfair. Why do they say this stuff?

Manager: Come on Michael, just don't pay any attention. You've got to stop this.

Michael: Right that's it. Get me Bashir - I'm doing a documentary.

(the way he delivers that line is amazing)

---------

Then this guy turns up acting the part of Bashir and he's borderline cockney. And then the documentary wraps up after a few scenes of Michael acting normally. Cut to Michael and his kids watching the documentary in a home-cinema with popcorn, and the documentary is edited to make MJ look bad much like that bit in The Simpsons where they stitch Homer up as a pervert. He freaks out. It's gold. MJ: DADDY CAN FIX ANYTHING!

Then they do the baby out of the balcony bit. You see MJ playing ridiculously over-the-top games with his kids when he realises his fans are screaming his name outside. He does nothing for a bit, then calmly and carefully picks his baby up and walks towards the window, they then cut to footage of the actual incident where MJ actually looks insane, then back to the film where he calmly walks back in but then he realises what he's done. While you can hear an audio collage of the media attacking him, there's this spiritual-esque music playing as he walks past each of his children and puts his hand on ther shoulders as if to say "daddy is jesus, he can sort this" and there's this big moment where they do montages and fades and all that shit of the media crushing down on his soul.

It was made before his trial ended, so they ended on him standing on top of a van outside court just staring at his fans while Diana Ross (she actually makes a cameo) telepathically gave him a speech about how he shouldn't give up

It's every bit as ridiculous as it sounds. And it does sound like a parody, doesn't it? But it isn't, you'll have to see it to get what I mean but trust me.
[close]

I saw this recently and it is as fantastic as described. My favourite moment was when they used to same backdrop for every concert he ever did.

Sherringford Hovis

Oscar, Kina and the Laser.

Essentially, exactly how you might imagine a drama might be like on 'Chanel 9 - Bambino!'...

The plot? A box with all the aesthetic futurosity of a stretched WWII civilian gas mask case, containing a laser (looking suspiciously similar to the sort of heater you find positioned perilously above the bath in a 1950s bathroom) that talks with the creepy, wheedling intensity of a first-time groomer and had the power to make the tiny titular protagonist invisible... Who for some reason had a pet goose called Kina - and solved crimes, or something; most kiddie dramas of the time seemed to have stolen most of their content from Enid Blyton's wastepaper basket. Had particular resonance for me, as Oscar's yellow rainwear was similar to the sou'wester oilskins that my misguided mother made me wear to school when it rained, eliciting many a cry of "All aboard the Skylark!"* from my precociously witty classmates.

Apart from the entry halfway down this page at TVcream, there's little other than a one-line synopsis online about this for those that don't habla Espanol - it's one of those things I idly type into a tracker when a bit drunk in vain hope. Though listed by many sources as a movie in its original form, it was serialised in several short 20-minuteish chunks between 4 and 5pm by the (pre-CBBC) BBC in around 1980/1. I loved the fact that you could hear what my endearing xenophobic grandparents referred to as 'dago-babble' under the poor-quality English dubbing. (Silly wrinklies - they're spics, not dagoes).

*A note for younger v'whores: "All aboard the Skylark!" is from Noah and Nellie:

Quote from: lactating man nips on January 08, 2009, 12:25:50 AM
I saw an episode of [Tottenham Two] years back and I have a funny feeling it was this show. I only saw that one episode but I recall really enjoying and never could find out what it was. Sadly there seems to be almost nothing about it on-line.

I've started about three or four threads on it in my time here, got some responses from a few people, I think benthalo said it was shit and a few others murmured a bit. I'd love to see it again, though I imagine the faux-naivety, over-deliberate comic timing and wacky references would grate now.