Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:59:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inexcrable Covers

Started by Nearly Annually, April 27, 2004, 04:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: "Lord Spong"The video for the song, with the whole atmosphere of 'look, we've got Kate Moss in our video, she's our friend, we're dead cool we are' sums up why I dislike The White Stripes so much.

I read an interview with them where Jack said he was very disappointed by that video.  The director (Sophia Coppola if memory serves), came to them with the idea, which was supposed to be a kind of tragic, lonely image of this beautiful girl, but in the end it just looked like titilation.  I think it was in Mojo if anyone cares, or mebbe Q.

elderford

QuoteWhere do you stand on New Order doing Ceremony?

Tetoffender, tricky one this.

Technically of course it falls within the JD canon, but as it was only performed live once and survives only as a rehearsal tape, it could be argued that as it's first official release was by NO it falls into their side of the JD/NO schism.

I would argue that even though the lyrical content was Curtis,  NO were in a transitional stage, and there is a possibility that it should be accepted that they should be allowed to perform it as an when they see fit.

MonkeyDrummer

QuoteThat song was recorded for a Jam tribute album to which there was an accompanying television documentary. In this you see Liam and Craddock recording a version of the track with Noel on guitar, Billy Ocean Colour Scene's Damon Minchella on bass, one of the White brothers on drums (off the top of my head I can't remember which one) and Weller himself on the old joanna.

That album is largely gash - Buffalo Tom murder Going Underground, Ben Harper blahs his way through This Is The Modern World etc. Noel does a nice version of To Be Someone though, and the hidden track of Weller doing No One In The World (one of my favourite b-sides) is class.

I didn't buy the album, the Buffalo Tom track was the flip side to Carnation. Yes it's astonishing how shite they actually made it. Took an angst ridden, anit-establishment classic and turned it into an embarassment. If I'd been them, I'd have cut my arms off after recording that track, and legs, just in case I got the urge to start tapping my feet.

So, now we're agreed on who recorded Carnation, can we agree it's pish?

tetoffender

Quote from: "elderford"tricky one this.

Technically of course it falls within the JD canon, but as it was only performed live once and survives only as a rehearsal tape, it could be argued that as it's first official release was by NO it falls into their side of the JD/NO schism.

I would argue that even though the lyrical content was Curtis,  NO were in a transitional stage, and there is a possibility that it should be accepted that they should be allowed to perform it as an when they see fit.

Yeah, good answer. I think I see Joy Division's version of it as an interesting rarity or a work in progress, rather than the definitive version, whereas with Atmosphere et al, as you said, it's impossible to disassociate them from the JD originals.

Incidentally, in the exact opposite of what was originally being asked in this thread, Galaxie 500's cover of Ceremony is great.

As for the original topic, may I also nominate Ol' Dirty Bastard's cover of Sussudio which appeared on a Phil Collins tribute album 2 or 3 years back. It really has to be heard to be believed. I'm not sure it counts as an awful cover, though, as it's miles better than the original.

Nearly Annually

Quote from: "jutl"Also, not wanting to be a pedantic shitbag...
Don't believe you. You laaarve it.

Hm, thought so, due to this, but used it anyway cos I'm so kerrazy. Turns out inexcrable is a bad cover of a much better word, then.

Schlippy

Lotsa White Stripes bashing going on, but I loved their "Fell In Love With a Girl".

So you can imagine how thrilled I was to hear Joss Stone's OoooOOoOeeeEEeeoooOOoO BaybeeeEEEeeeEeeeeEE version. Take a joyful, exuberant slice of rock'n'fucken'roll and kill it stone dead with soul-by-numbers session musicians and her godawful mugging. She's only 12 or something, but still.

I rather like that actually.  Now to disguise my cock as a microphone.

When I was in sixth form, sometime back in the last century, there was a group of hard lads who would comandeer the stereo and play CJ Lewis' version of Sweets For My Sweet over and over again for some inexplicable reason.  It wasn't feasible to turn it off, because we were afraid they might either kill us.  In the end we student council types solved the problem by voting to remove the stereo from the common room altogether, and thus removed any arguments.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "tetoffender"Incidentally, in the exact opposite of what was originally being asked in this thread, Galaxie 500's cover of Ceremony is great.
Well it *would* have been, if they'd got the fucking bass line right!!!  <seethe>

It's not exactly difficult, it's fucking obvious in fact, but the guy just plays the wrong second note on the second chord, all the way through.  It's such a crass and obvious mistake that I wondered whether it was deliberate, but then I read an interview with them only a couple of years ago or so, in which the bassist confessed that Peter Hook came up to him at a party and had a go at him for fucking up the bass line, and the G500 bassist was mortified, he'd had no idea he'd got it wrong...

Twats.

Sorry.  As you were.

elderford

...and Hooky famously tells us that he only uses three fingers to play the bass.

Bogey

Quote from: "DevlinC"Nobody Does It Better by Radiohead.

Ooh! Ooh! What about Muse's cover of Feeling Good?
Complete with "arty" video with fucking rose petals all over the place. Fucking weasel-faced arse. They're just not old enough to even think about trying to get away with being that pretentious,
Grrrrrr!

Lord Spong

Quote from: "european son"
Quote from: "Lord Spong"Anybody heard that Ryan Adams version of Wonderwall yet?  Myself, I couldn't stand the Oasis version, but Adams has topped it by turning out an eye gougingly boring, too-serious maudlin dirge.

heh, i wrote a bit in another covers thread about how good i thought the cover was.....

and Noel agrees with me on that, he's played Ryan's version himself live a few times.

Normally, I quite like twangy acoustic versions of songs, and I haven't heard much Ryan Adams, but I did like that New York song he did, or whatever it was called.

I think I take exception to this cover because I've always hated Wonderwall from the first time I heard it.  I was a big Oasis fan in those days, but that was one song I never got on with, and could never understand why it was so popular.
Also, hearing Jo bastard Whiley plug that Ryan Adams version on Radio One every day this week in her 'serious music' voice is enough to put anybody off.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "DevlinC"

Nobody Does It Better by Radiohead. Now, I love Radiohead for everything they've done since The Bends, and they just get better and better. BUT, this song is a monstrosity. It's basically exactly what everyone would take the piss out of Radiohead for being.

Yeah, I hate that cover too. "This is the sexiest song ever recorded"......No, Thom, it's not, and it's even less so when you sing it.

The Manics have done a fair few 'ironic' covers too:
Suicide Is Painless
Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head
other ones

Peking O

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"It's not exactly difficult, it's fucking obvious in fact, but the guy just plays the wrong second note on the second chord, all the way through.  It's such a crass and obvious mistake that I wondered whether it was deliberate, but then I read an interview with them only a couple of years ago or so, in which the bassist confessed that Peter Hook came up to him at a party and had a go at him for fucking up the bass line, and the G500 bassist was mortified, he'd had no idea he'd got it wrong...

Twats.

Sorry.  As you were.

I wonder if the bass player from Galaxie 500 was equally upset that Peter Hook thought she was a man?

Purple Tentacle

Nobody's mentioned Perfect Day by The BBC yet..... jesus fucking wept, what an abomination that has managed to RUIN the original.

I always hear fucking "reap reap reap" over the beautiful original now, and Lou "cunt" Reed does no favours by constantly replaying and squeezing the life out of it.

One of Ms_Tentacle's friends claims to be really fucking leftfield and "alternative" (yes, she's a goth), but when I played Transformer to her the other night, she said "oh wow, I've got to download that BBC version of it, that was great!".

Incidentally that same night I played Billion Dollar Babies by Alice Cooper, and when "Elected" came on, Ms_Tentacle said "Oh wow, does that mean that Mr Bean covered it for Comic Relief?"

I've never heard of the Mr Bean version of "Elected", and I'm sure this is a good thing.

Nearly Annually

Quote from: "Schlippy"Joss Stone's "Fell In Love With a Girl" ... her godawful mugging
That's perfect. I shall use that very phrase as my own in relation to that very recording, and also when talking about the likes of Melua and that "jazz" kiddie whose name thankfully has slipped my mind right now. Genuine lived-in voices come with genuine lived-in faces which it seems are no longer deemed fit for our consumption, so we're faced with 12-year-olds from the home counties doing impressions of 45-year-olds from New Orleans. To me they might as well be going "Mmm, Betty, the cat's done a whoopsie on the stairs." Gah.

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"I rather like that actually.  Now to disguise my cock as a microphone.
Always nice to find disagreement with you; makes me feel like I'm my own man. I don't think she uses one of those mics.

dan dirty ape

That Joss Stone version is offensive in its politeness compared to the original.

Anyone head the Flying Pickets a capella version of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'? Lee and Herring played it on one of their Radio 1 shows once, their mocking of the 'g'dang g'dang, g'dang dang' guitar impression was worth this slightly sorry curio's existence.

'G'dang g'dang?! That just sounds like a kid mucking about in his bedroom'.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Peking O"I wonder if the bass player from Galaxie 500 was equally upset that Peter Hook thought she was a man?
Hehe, I could have sworn it was a bloke that said it.  Did they change bass player at some point?  If not, then my defence is that there weren't any photos by the article.

Hmmm, you've got me intrigued now.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "dan dirty ape"Anyone head the Flying Pickets a capella version of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'?
Nope, but have you heard Radiohead's a capella version of their own "Creep"?  Fucking superb, done in Flying Pickets style, and they even do the Jonny guitar crunch into the chorus (by coughing loudly, if I remember).

Peking O

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"Hehe, I could have sworn it was a bloke that said it.  Did they change bass player at some point?  If not, then my defence is that there weren't any photos by the article.

I don't think they ever changed their line-up in their relatively brief history. Dean Wareham was the main man behind Galaxie 500 though, so it's probably him that Hooky was refering too. But I couldn't let that get in the way of a good gender gag ;)