Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:48:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Films 2009

Started by VegaLA, January 01, 2009, 05:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

Yeah well, not so sure about that. I just caught a trailer for this months Horror, 'My Bloody Valentine', which follows the current Hollywood trend of remaking 70s/80s Slasher movies like 'Halloween' and 'Prom Night'.

Tarrantino's new movie has a release date of August 21st and the prequel to The Davinici Code, Angels and Demons will be Released May 15th.

Glebe

Watchmen! Lovely Bones! Etc.

Marv Orange

The Wrestler - good
Benjamin Button - Good but depressing
Defiance - Worth watching just for the moments when craig forgets that he is meant to be jewish
Che - alright I suppose could save yourself a couple of hours and watch Mark Steels prog on the subject.

surreal

Quote from: VegaLA on January 01, 2009, 05:02:47 PM
Tarrantino's new movie has a release date of August 21st

Which one is that?  I thought his next one was "Inglorious Bastards" - or is he just putting his name on something again a la Hostel?

Marty McFly

I'm quite looking foward to Cadillac Records, the Chess Records story, and Telstar, the Joe Meek biopic.

Deadman97

Quote from: surreal on January 01, 2009, 10:03:21 PM
Which one is that?  I thought his next one was "Inglorious Bastards" - or is he just putting his name on something again a la Hostel?

Nope, it's the irritatingly-spelled "Inglorious Basterds" alright- they've had to alter the spelling to appease someone or other no doubt. Marv- surely The Wrestler deserves better than a one-word review? It knocked me for six, a peaceful and moving film with a number of different (and equally valid) ways of being read.

non capisco

Quote from: Marv Orange on January 01, 2009, 05:39:34 PM
Che - alright I suppose could save yourself a couple of hours and watch Mark Steels prog on the subject.

I watched Parts 1 & 2 today as the Cineworld in Haymarket was doing a special matinee showing of both. It's well acted but I don't think it adds that much to your understanding of Che Guevara if you only know the basics about his life. Cinematically there's lots in there to appreciate but given the grandiosity of its running time I was expecting a bit more, I dunno, scope. I felt a bit like Soderbergh had made a film based on the t-shirt and poster icon after reading his Wikipedia page rather than really got under the skin of his subject.

Sam

I hope to CHRIST Terrence Malick's new film "The Tree of Life" (starring Sean Penn and Brad Pitt) is released in late 2009 and not early 2010. The film is in post-production but Malick takes a notoriously long time to edit his leading actors out of the film and replace them with shots of birds and water rippling.

Jack Fisk says this film will change cinema. If I see it in a cinema I can pretty much die afterwards. My life will be complete. Anything after such an event will just be downhill.

On a less disturbing note, I am also greatly looking forward to "The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus".

Some trivia: Malick was set to direct the aforementioned Che film (he was in Bolivia when Che was assassinated and covered the story for a newspaper) and spent a lot of time in pre-production before relinquishing the project to Soderbergh and focusing on other things.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteJack Fisk says this film will change cinema

Vague piece of trumped-up nonsense of a claim, really.

Don't get hyped up yet, you have all year to wait before being let down!

Sam

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 01, 2009, 10:26:39 PM
Vague piece of trumped-up nonsense of a claim, really.

Have you seen the film? No? Then what an absurd thing to say. It could be the best film ever made. It could be a total pile of shit. I don't know and neither do you.

And how is the comment vague? Jack Fisk has worked on every Malick film and has known him for almost 40 years. I'd say he's in a pretty good position to say such a thing about the film. Also, are you familiar with Fisk's personality? Do you realise that despite being biased by having designed the film, he's a very humble and non-hyperbolic guy who wouldn't say something like that lightly? In fact, have you listened to the whole interview I am referring to, the context and what else he had to say about the film?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I just changed the history of the internet. Just now.

Saucer51

I'm quite looking forward to Guy Ritchie's modern take on Bless This House. No word yet as to who will play Sid but I understand his character will be smoking a pipe as before. Only this time it will have crack in it. Another modern take is that salesman Sid will close all deals with the use of an Uzi.

wheatgod

Jack Fisk is an arse, and you know it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIt could be the best film ever made. It could be a total pile of shit. I don't know and neither do you.

I agree. Which is why we should wait and see. I've seen claims from people I respected in cinema amount to nothing, and I'm using that experience to tell myself not to get sucked into any hype. Besides, I do think it's a silly thing to say as it means in any interpretation, everything and nothing, which if you want to use as something to hang on to, is entirely up to you. Naturally I'll go and see the film but it's a long way away.

Sam

Fair enough. You make a good point. Sorry if I seemed riled up; I'm a bit precious about ol' Terry. He's pretty much my God. He hasn't let me down yet so I am quietly confident that TTOL will be another masterpiece. But, yes, it is a long way off so I would do well to just forget about it for a while.

Also in 2009 (I think), another cinematic hero of mine, Werner Herzog, is releasing his "remake" of "Bad Lieutenant". Herzog claims it's impossibily bleak, so bleak that it's almost funny. But I shouldn't believe the hype.

Marv Orange

Gran Torino - Eastwood can stir up more laughs than than most comedians by simply grunting and glaring. Its one foot in the grave meets karate kid.

Marty McFly

Quote from: Marv Orange on January 02, 2009, 12:42:49 AM
Its one foot in the grave meets karate kid.

I don't berieve it!

Vitalstatistix

I am most looking forward to two new Nicholas Winding Refn (Pusher) films which hopefully will see light this year.

Bronson

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zdmWwacWDRU

and

Valhalla Rising

boxofslice

One of the stupidest trailers you'll see this year... and not in a good way.

http://www.crankhighvoltage.com/?p=13

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on January 02, 2009, 12:07:06 PM
I am most looking forward to two new Nicholas Winding Refn (Pusher) films which hopefully will see light this year.

Bronson

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zdmWwacWDRU

I'm amazed at Tom Hardy's transformation for that film

thugler

Quote from: boxofslice on January 05, 2009, 01:08:56 PM
One of the stupidest trailers you'll see this year... and not in a good way.

http://www.crankhighvoltage.com/?p=13

That looks even more brilliant than the first one. They've totally embraced the stupidity.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I don't know. On the one hand it looks like it could be the utterly gleeful trashfest the first one fell short of being, but the premise seems really crap. His constant need for adrenaline in the first one basically meant he had to keep moving and doing crazy crap, whereas - with electricity being plentiful - it looks like this one is going to keep stopping while he looks for a socket to stick his knob in.

boxofslice

Rubbish Monkey

Played COD World at War? Wished there was Nazi zombie film?

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3-KQh87_V2Q[/youtube]

Santa's Boyfriend

There's also Shockwaves, if you can find it.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Nildtjq0k&feature=related[/youtube]

Shoulders?-Stomach!

So The Spirit wasn't that good, though I had a similar feeling after about 45 minutes with Max Payne thinking "this is pretty cool actually", the ending was a ridiculous cop-out, and unlike Sin City where the narratives sort of overlap, taking your mind off the bits of it that just don't work that well as a serious movie, this is a conventional narrative without the quality of screenplay to pull it off.

I would say it's worth it for Samuel L Jackson's bad guy the Octopus, where he puts in a barnstorming funny bad guy performance. Watching him strut around like a peacock in his Nazi uniform is the biggest laugh I've had at the cinema for ages.

Plus it's the only time I've really found Scarlett Johanssen sexy in anything since Lost In Translation. Must have been the SS uniform (no joke :S)

I'm off to see the wrestler tonight- all signs are saying it's going to be pretty good...

Egyptian Feast

My Bloody Valentine 3-D is no classic, but it's probably the best 70s/80s slasher remake I've seen. I finally got to see the unedited original film the night before, so the remake suffered a lot by comparison, but the hilarious 3-D gore effects definitely make it worth a trip to the cinema. Oddly enough, the film makes barely any references to the titular holiday and doesn't exploit the mine setting as effectively as the original. It also fumbles the references to the original film's most iconic moments,
Spoiler alert
especially the tumble-drier murder (which is spoilt by having much worse special effects than the 1980 original) and the spooky shot of the killer walking through the mine, smashing lightbulbs with his pick-axe.
[close]

It is an entertaining night out though and certainly gives you value for money on the gore and nudity front. I'm hoping if they do feel the need to remake horror classics (and there's a whole slate of them coming out in the next couple of years), future filmmakers will attempt to mask their lack of original ideas with inventive use of 3-D technology. It won't make a shit movie good, but at least will make it a little more entertaining.

Admittedly, this did not work in the case of Scar 3-D.

El Unicornio, mang

Milk is good, and another example of why Sean Penn is one of the best actors in the world. It's hard to choose between him and Rourke for best actor, both were very challenging roles, but I think Penn edges it. Brolin is also great as his unhinged nemesis.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

The first person to make a joke about My Bloody Valentine 3D and the fact that it shares its name with a popular shoegaze band wins a year's supply of pubic hair.