Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:05:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Films 2009

Started by VegaLA, January 01, 2009, 05:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jennifer

Quote from: scarecrow on April 08, 2009, 01:58:27 AM

by the way, what is the consensus here on the 'Darling' joke? i never cared for it myself.

I think it's quite charming, but it's a character joke, really, about being a man who's gone his whole life with a faintly silly surname, wound up like a clock spring because how do you tell if someone's taking the piss or just saying your name? He's a bag of neuroses because of it, and Tim McInnery (sp) plays it perfectly.

A character called
Spoiler alert
Twatt
[close]
on the other hand - you'd just change it, wouldn't you. Otherwise you'd never get a job.

By the way, I just had a Richard Curtis like moment of doubt about my description of Black Character. Lest you think I'm being unfair, I should point out Black Character only has three lines, but he's onscreen ALL THE TIME. Just lurking in the background, like he's about to start shovelling coal into an engine.

CaledonianGonzo

Let The Right One In is finally on general UK release.

Got mixed feelings about it - for the most part it's superb, but there a couple of moments of unintentional comedy that really put a spanner in the works..

Well worth watching, but not quite as pitch-perfect a spooky child-featuring Euro horror as Pan's Labyrinth..

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I saw The Boat That Rocked, because it was a either that or Knowing. The presence of Phillip Seymour Hoffman made it seem like a bit of an Almost Famous rip off but, despite (or maybe because of) the crappy reviews, I found it enjoyable enough. Not hilarious, but fairly chucklesome.

Santa's Boyfriend

Watched Knowing last night.  I actually thought it started badly but got more interesting in the second hour.  I felt it was a big mistake to cast Cage in the title role, as it's impossible to take him seriously in anything but the most wacky and eccentric films.  I also thought the first hour was badly directed, particularly regarding
Spoiler alert
the introduction sequence of the girl who wrote the numbers
[close]
as it would have been far more interesting without that scene altogether, giving it a much stronger detective vibe.

Spoiler alert
I thought the whole rapture thing was actually quite well done.  Clearly the idea of the film was to do an alternative take on the rapture idea, and it never actually said that this was what was happening - leaving you to interpret it as aliens rescuing a sample of humanity. 
[close]

lipsink

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 10, 2009, 08:54:24 PM
Let The Right One In is finally on general UK release.

Got mixed feelings about it - for the most part it's superb, but there a couple of moments of unintentional comedy that really put a spanner in the works..

Well worth watching, but not quite as pitch-perfect a spooky child-featuring Euro horror as Pan's Labyrinth..

While it certainly didn't have any big scary jump moments it had horror that stuck in your head afterwards and that, combined with the tender sweetness of the love story, just chilled my blood. I loved it. It's nice that so many recent foreign horror films recently have been so emotionally moving (Pan's Labrynth, The Orphanage). Words can not express how annoyed I am that they're doing a fucking US remake.

Santa's Boyfriend

At least there's no Pan's Labyrinth remake on the cards, but an Orphanage remake is being planned too.  Oh, and REC is a great spanish horror too, which has already been remade as Quarantine.  See REC (but try not to know anything about it before you watch it other than the fact that it's a first person horror like Blair Witch), don't bother with Quarantine as it's exactly the same film but still lacking a certain charm.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: lipsink on April 13, 2009, 08:04:23 AM
While it certainly didn't have any big scary jump moments it had horror that stuck in your head afterwards and that, combined with the tender sweetness of the love story, just chilled my blood. I loved it.

I did really like it - and had it sustained the mood throughout, I'd have absolutely loved it.

As it was, though, I thought there were a few relatively serious flaws.  It's an unusual  and visually stunning sequence, but I'm pretty sure that the
Spoiler alert
head dropping into the swimming pool
[close]
wasn't meant to illicit howls of laughter, but that's pretty much how the audience at the Edinburgh Cameo chose to receive it.  Same thing with the scene with
Spoiler alert
the cats
[close]

That and sometimes the storytelling isn't always clear - deliberate ambiguity is one thing, but muddle is another.

However, it has certainly stuck in my mind over the last couple of days and I would recommend it, if only for it's wonderful old-school atmosphere and an approach to horror that's more Ken Loach than Eli Roth.

lipsink

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 13, 2009, 12:22:56 PM
As it was, though, I thought there were a few relatively serious flaws.  It's an unusual  and visually stunning sequence, but I'm pretty sure that the
Spoiler alert
[close]
wasn't meant to illicit howls of laughter, but that's pretty much how the audience at the Edinburgh Cameo chose to receive it.  Same thing with the scene with
Spoiler alert
the cats
[close]

I think I actually laughed at those bits too,
Spoiler alert
the cat attack
[close]
I think it was more nervous laughter, but not a big laugh out loud. But I definitely saw those bits as having huge elements of intentional black comedy.
Spoiler alert
The pool rescue was just unbelievablly sweet and nearly made we weep.
[close]

And yeah, it was refreshing to see a horror that didn't rely on big jumps. I read that the director isn't even a fan of horror films.

copylight

...the scene with
Spoiler alert
the cats
[close]

Hmm. I found that scene strangely shit, or rather like a bad mong done really well, the CG was almost intentionally caricature-like. The swimming pool scene on the other hand I thought was a justifiable climax.

Quoteit has certainly stuck in my mind over the last couple of days and I would recommend it, if only for it's wonderful old-school atmosphere and an approach to horror that's more Ken Loach than Eli Roth.

Absolutely. I saw it last night and it hasn't left my head. Hat's off to the kid in the lead title though, superbly understated, considered, almost humble acting. Poor little chap, me heart went out to him the whole way through.

Spoiler alert
The scene where the boy got a glance at the Vampyre's private parts and we saw what appeared to be castration scars makes the ''I'm not a girl'' line (said at least twice on differing occasions) food for thought. Anyone else find that a strange thing to include in an otherwise tightly controlled psychological horror?
[close]

I liked the fact that it was slow moving and as you say a million miles away from an Eli Roth film. It's a gem.

I finished reading the original novel of "Let the Right One In" last week (great stuff, by the way- the author, John Ajvide Lindqvist, also wrote the film's screenplay), and in that it's revealed that
Spoiler alert
Eli is/was actually a boy- Elias- who was castrated when he/she/it was first turned into a vampire 200 years previously.
[close]

I'm seeing the film tomorrow, can't wait.

copylight

I feel vindicated now. Thankyou.
Spoiler alert

A Prepubescent Vampyre crying game. Come to think of it, is it just me who thinks Eli bore a striking resemblance to the transgendered Jaye Davidson? I can understand why they didn't include that in the overall arc of the film. Once again, that poor boy.
[close]

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: copylight on April 15, 2009, 04:46:25 AM
Poor little chap, me heart went out to him the whole way through.

Question is, though - are you meant to feel sorry for Oskar?  There are many signs, hints and clues that he's not quite right, not quite all there.

It's a story of two resolutely weird people meeting each other and making a connection.  Harold and Maude also springs to mind.

lipsink

Quote from: copylight on April 15, 2009, 04:46:25 AM
Spoiler alert

A Prepubescent Vampyre crying game. Come to think of it, is it just me who thinks Eli bore a striking resemblance to the transgendered Jaye Davidson? I can understand why they didn't include that in the overall arc of the film. Once again, that poor boy.
[close]

The Guardian described her as looking like a 'mini-PJ Harvey'.

lipsink

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 15, 2009, 06:50:57 AM
Question is, though - are you meant to feel sorry for Oskar?  There are many signs, hints and clues that he's not quite right, not quite all there.

Yeah, absolutely. There's moments when Oskar becomes a bully like him taunting Eli for asking him to allow her in. Plus there's oddball moments like him in the pool smiling at the strange kid who starts lifting his legs. And I didn't quite understand his smile when he saw the kid with one ear playing around with his older brother outside.

copylight

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 15, 2009, 06:50:57 AM

Well, yes. For that very reason. He is so disconnected, almost autistic in his attack scene with the stick for example that he represents a living embodiment of not being able to realize a childhood innocence being consumed by events unfolding all around him so yes, I really soaked up the empathy. The more I think about the film - still lingers - the more it creeps me out with the slow burn.  As an aside, I watched a few deleted scenes on youtube and there's one when the two are in the apartment and Oskar hits Eli in a way that suggests he is in fact getting to grips with the situation. The final cut leaves out such confrontations and I do agree with you that they did play it safe by leaving him in limbo, forefieting coherency. But doesn't that compound the dark charm to the film in the first place? It's all very passive and fatalistic.

Quote from: lipsink on April 15, 2009, 01:08:33 PM
The Guardian described her as looking like a 'mini-PJ Harvey'.

Aha! But have ye seen them in the same room together? To think that Eli was only 11 with no acting experience is a testament not only to her ability but also to the casting dept also, despite the fact that she hasn't produced a decent record in years.

lipsink

Quote from: copylight on April 15, 2009, 02:42:49 PM
But doesn't that compound the dark charm to the film in the first place? It's all very passive and fatalistic.

I found the view of adults quite disturbing too. It seemed to imply that the two protagonists needed to kill off adults so they could create their own life together.

copylight

Quote from: lipsink on April 15, 2009, 02:52:52 PM
I found the view of adults quite disturbing too. It seemed to imply that the two protagonists needed to kill off adults so they could create their own life together.
Spoiler alert

Indeed, the olds' were very passive weren't they? You could just blame it on that late 70's thing we all project when seeing retro films but Especially with the father/guardian -what was his role? - getting sucked, flung & gersshplaten from the hospital window. His blood farming duty also was tired and lackluster wasn't it? The way he apathetically decided to pour acid over his face almost in a get me coat fashion. A scene reminiscent of Jam if there ever was one and one I personally found to be far more comedic than the swimming pool climax.
[close]

jaydee81

Quote from: jennifer on April 07, 2009, 11:38:55 PM
I realise I am probably very alone in this, but I look forward to a Richard Curtis film the way other hipster douchebags get excited about an Ed Wood film.

You are probably alone in that but I had a great deal of fun watching Love Actually recently, fun in the sense that it was so monumentally wank.
The whole Kris Marshall going to America and having a three-some story left a particularly bad taste in my mouth, mainly as I spend the duration of any scenes imagining Richard Curtis bashing one off.

jaydee81

Quote from: jennifer on April 07, 2009, 11:38:55 PM
*Chris O Dowd is a surprisingly good actor, especially considering the scene he acts especially well in is one of the most unlikely and cruel things played for laughs ever.

The last film I watched was inexpicably Festival, which at first wasn't as bad as the reviews I've read which slated it (but then I've never been to Edinburgh so have no idea what the vibe of the place is).
Chris O Dowd was surprisingly good in it and I realised that Daniella Nardini is actually my perfect woman.
Then the ending seemed to fizzle out and it was crap... much like this post.

Italian Sexuality

Quote from: copylight on April 15, 2009, 03:03:59 PM
Spoiler alert

Indeed, the olds' were very passive weren't they? You could just blame it on that late 70's thing we all project when seeing retro films but Especially with the father/guardian -what was his role? - getting sucked, flung & gersshplaten from the hospital window. His blood farming duty also was tired and lackluster wasn't it? The way he apathetically decided to pour acid over his face almost in a get me coat fashion. A scene reminiscent of Jam if there ever was one and one I personally found to be far more comedic than the swimming pool climax.
[close]

Spoiler alert
The  guardian originally had paedophilic tendencies in the source novel, so played a far greater, darker role. This was left out for the film however, so he somewhat paled into the background.
[close]

jaydee81

I'm pretty sure that the
Spoiler alert
[close]
wasn't meant to illicit howls of laughter

I dunno, I didn't really interpret the film as a straight up horror, but also, it was strangely satisfying seeing the little twerps get offed rather than terrifying. I think I might have slyly chuckled.

jaydee81

Quote from: Italian Sexuality on April 15, 2009, 03:19:12 PM
Spoiler alert
The  guardian originally had paedophilic tendencies in the source novel, so played a far greater, darker role. This was left out for the film however, so he somewhat paled into the background.
[close]

Spoiler alert
I still found him to be an interesting character though, even though his origins aren't really cleared up. I presumed he was an older Oskar.
[close]

Italian Sexuality

Spoiler alert
He struck me as such, too, in the context of the film. How some can find the final scene more chucklesome than engaging though, I don't know. It was one continuous shot, Kåre Hedebrant stayed underwater for as long as shown on screen, whilst the other actors actually played out a scene above which was never actually shot. It was a superb piece of cinema, I thought, considering the relative budget and slightly eerie atmosphere of the overall film.
[close]

lipsink

Quote from: jaydee81 on April 15, 2009, 03:22:47 PM
Spoiler alert
I still found him to be an interesting character though, even though his origins aren't really cleared up. I presumed he was an older Oskar.
[close]

Spoiler alert
I just thought he was an Igor role. Like a faithful servant in Vampire circles who would give his life for his vampire master. The scene where he has the boy hanging in the changing rooms, I felt so sorry for him. I just kept thinking: How the fuck is he going to get out of this one?
[close]

Italian Sexuality

Quote from: lipsink on April 15, 2009, 03:30:39 PM
Spoiler alert
I just thought he was an Igor role. Like a faithful servant in Vampire circles who would give his life for his vampire master. The scene where he has the boy hanging in the changing rooms, I felt so sorry for him. I just kept thinking: How the fuck is he going to get out of this one?
[close]

Spoiler alert
Håkan again plays a far more pivotal role in the literary version, he's arguably more central than either Eli or Oskar. The differences between both the film and novel are quite remarkable. Worth a read, if you enjoyed the film.
[close]

copylight

Quote from: Italian Sexuality on April 15, 2009, 03:35:16 PM
Spoiler alert
he's arguably more central than either Eli or Oskar. The differences between both the film and novel are quite remarkable.
[close]

How so?
Spoiler alert
please spoiler us
[close]
with the black stuff.

Vitalstatistix

Spoiler alert
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!
[close]

copylight

Spoiler alert

!
[close]

Italian Sexuality

Quote from: copylight on April 15, 2009, 08:20:36 PM
How so?
Spoiler alert
please spoiler us
[close]
with the black stuff.

Oh, look, clear text!
Spoiler alert
He's basically drawn into committing the final crime in the book by Eli, due to his paedophilic desire for her (or, in the book's case of Eli, arguably him), and he doesn't die in the book, bur rather becomes one of the vampires/live forever lot and comes back after her.
[close]

Jemble Fred

QuoteSigourney Weaver will appear in 'Ghostbusters 3'.

Her co-star in the franchise, Dan Ackroyd, insists that despite her refusal to lend her voice to the recent spin-off video game, the 'Alien' actress will be in the new movie.

He vowed: "Sigourney will be in it. I know we'll make that happen."

Dan - who co-wrote and starred in the original 80s comedy - also confirmed the new movie will feature a new set of ghost hunters.

He added: "There will be a whole new generation that has to be trained, and that whole new generation will be led by an individual who you'll all love when you meet him but I'm not going to tell you anything yet.

"They'll be lots of cadets, boys and girls, who'll be learning how to use the psychotron, the accelerators and all the new stuff, the neuron splitter, which is going to be the interplaner, interceptor and all these great tools that they're going to have, to flip from dimension to dimension"

The original Ghostbusters - a group of parapsychology professors offering a ghost removal service - were Harold Ramis as Egon, Bill Murray's character Peter Venkman and Ray Stantz, played by Dan. They were later joined by Winston Zeddmore, played by Ernie Hudson.

(Does that pointy dance thing.)